Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM

20 posts, read 70,289 times

Advertisements

I am a single Mom of 4 and I am wanting to move to the Macon/Warner Robins area. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good school district in the area and the towns that are in that district. I also will be needing to rent a house for us to live in and of course finding work. Where I live in MN has turned from a nice small town to my kids being in lock down today at school for 2 hours. I want to move and start over in a safe and friendly area. Any suggestions or advise that anyone can give I will GREATLY appreciate!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
In Houston County, I would recommend the Houston County High School district out of the 3 high schools. In Bibb County, I recommend the Central High School district----which will be a good school if your kids are all high achievers; otherwise, you will want to pay private tuition. North of Bibb, the Monroe County area is nice and is also growing. The schools there are doing fairly well.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,290 times
In Houston County, I recommend Perry High School. Perry, GA is also less congested, but a close drive to anywhere, and the growth in the county is headed toward Perry. You may find more rentals in Warner Robins, though, since the housing values are dropping there and more and more folks that can't sell are renting out their homes.

If you're looking in Macon, I'd suggest south Macon near Rutland High School district.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,579 times
Default Warner Robins High School

I am happy to see Houston County Schools have not changed much since the time I attended Warner Robins High School between 1969-1971. I am an Air Force Brat and in my 12 years of education, I switched schools 15 times. I went to schools in Texas, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, California and, of course, Georgia. And, out of of the schools I attended, I rate Warner Robins High School as the best!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Thank you for the help! I had heard that Houston County had good high schools what about the lower grades? I have a son who will be in 4th grade next year are the elemantry schools just as good? How hard is it to find good day care in the Perry area? Macon itself I had heard is a very rough town. That is why I am wanting to stay further out being a single parent. Are good paying jobs in the Perry area hard to find? Initially I am needing to work for someone else before my own business gets off the ground.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:36 PM

Kings Chapel Elementary in Perry is one of the best elementary schools in the county. I grew up in Macon (south), when I got married, I moved to Warner Robins. Lived there for six years and moved to Byron. We just sold our home in Byron and will be relocating near Atlanta soon. If I were to ever buy in Houston County again, I would choose Perry, hands down. Perry is alot smaller than Warner Robins, but there is some industry there. Even if you had to work in Warner Robins, it is a short drive for a much better quality of life in Perry. Much less congestion and traffic.
Macon is pretty rough, but there are some good areas. Their schools are very lacking, though.
Have lived in middle GA all my life.

My son will be in 4th grade next year, too :-)

Good luck!
You can go to greatschools.net or schoolmatters.com to get all the stats on the schools...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Default leavingbyron

Thank you for the information. Can I ask, as an adult is there much for entertainment in Perry itself? Does Perry have nice parks or a swimming pool for kids? Are there any parts of Perry to stay away from? Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
I think you have to travel to Warner Robins-Centerville mall to go to see a movie in the Perry area. I think the same would go for bowling. And I doubt there would be very many nightclubs and bars in Perry.

There is the National Fairgrounds that brings events to town.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Yes, Irishvanguard is correct, you would have to drive to Warner Robins/Centerville for a movie or a nightclub. I'm not sure of any community pools for kids, I think the closest YMCA is in close to Bonaire, but not sure if it has a pool...
Any recreational outlet you would most likely drive into Warner Robins for, however, it's not like a 30 minute drive. More like 10-15 minutes...maybe shorter if you hit backroads.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 AM

A small drive for entertainment doesn't bother me. Where I grew up in Iowa every pool, golf course, movie theater was at least a half an hour drive. Where I live now the closest theater is 20 miles away and there is no public pool in town.

I have heard about something called the gnat line. Can someone please explain this to me. Is Perry a town that would be full of gnats? Also, is there much gang activity or drug activity in Perry? These are things I DEFINATELY want to keep my children away from. Where I live in MN has gotten ALOT worse for this in the last year. There was even a person shot and killed on school grounds due to it in the last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon