Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,820,068 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

New North Macon Hilton hotel open in the providence village Lifestyle center.....
New hotel set to open
http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/4...EA68941972.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,941 posts, read 9,243,580 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
New North Macon Hilton hotel open in the providence village Lifestyle center.....
New hotel set to open
http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/4...EA68941972.pdf
It should be noted this is a Homewood Suites extended stay hotel, by Hilton. There is certainly a major difference between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
 
726 posts, read 2,820,068 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
It should be noted this is a Homewood Suites extended stay hotel, by Hilton. There is certainly a major difference between the two.
Thats very obvious and your POINT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,941 posts, read 9,243,580 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Thats very obvious and your POINT?
You called it the:
Quote:
North Macon Hilton

Without reading the article, one would assume they built an upscale hilton hotel in macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Deep South- until March then Minneapolis,Mn
4 posts, read 8,430 times
Reputation: 10
While all of this intended growth is excellent for the Macon area, the big question is will the population be able to support all these new merchants? The Shoppes at Rivers Crossing does seem to be doing ok but many of the stores there have just moved from the Macon Mall or other areas in town. That really cannot be considered growth IMHO.

In addition, when these merchants move it leaves vacant building subject to vandalism and other crimes. Regarding all the new condos and lofts being built downtown, who's going to live there? Macon already has MANY apartment buildings that are not filled and without substancial population growth these new projects cannot expect to survive.

The problem is very few new merchants are coming to Macon, and understandably so. Sure we may be getting a second Target, Best Buy, Dicks, etc but what is really needed is variety! For us upper middle class Atlanta is just a quick trip up 75 and there is so much more variety there! We need new department stores when new shopping centers are built.

And the new office buildings, I can think of three seperate buildings that have been built in the past two years that are still not full, some are completely vacant! Why build more just to sit there, empty! Not to mention all the vacant buildings around of old establishments that have moved.

Sure the crime in Macon seems to be contained in certain areas but lately it has been branching out into other areas. What about the shooting at the Backburner last fall?

Don't get me wrong, I will always hold a special place for my hometown in my heart but I can understand why people do not want to move here. Many of the residents who have always lived here tolerate and accept anything that changes/ doesn't change about the city because it is their home and they love the town for what it is. But for new residents who don't feel the same pride for the town, it appears to be a disorganized dump. Sad but true.

I am moving in less than a month and hope, with all my heart, when I come back to visit Macon I see a positive change in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
 
726 posts, read 2,820,068 times
Reputation: 86
[quote=southernbelleinthecity;.[/QUOTE]

Well Macon is No where near a dump!!
Most of the Stores, merchants and restaurants coming to the new developments in North and South Macon will be New the Macon areas and some New to GA but some has decided to post pone building until 2010 because of the retail/commercial sump. (EX: Banana republic, White House/Black Market and there were talks that Nordstrom, Saks and Bloomingdales and more were looking at the Macon market but because of economy they have pull back. The purpose of this is to draw more traffic of people traveling to Atlanta to Macon to shop. The stores that left the Macon Mall were not a result of shift in side of town; Dillard’s, Circuit City, Old Navy, Gap and all the rest was supposed to have 2nd and 3rd locations but due the troubled economy these companies closed these stores to save money nationally, not because the area could not support them. The Developments being built in Macon are NOT solely for the city of Macon; because Macon served a shopping hub for 22 counties with a pop of over 700,000 people which is almost 1million… as well as travelers on I-475/75. As for the crime tell what city the size of Macon or larger don’t have a crime problem as city growth crime will too, that been something that has happen to a lot of cities for years. Macon pop has decreased Bibb has increased because most of the residents are moving outside the city to the new developed areas of Bibb county. Actually Macon has a shortage for residential units especially in north Macon and DT; you will never have enough apartments with so many companies planning develop operations in Macon these people they bring will need a place to live. Macon is growing, I think that the sump in the nation economy has put a damp on things but after we get though the recession things will start back to pick back up. Because of Macon Location it has no choice but to grow. I think you need to do more research before you decide to criticize Macon and with it being your hometown it a pity shame you feel that way…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,941 posts, read 9,243,580 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
. . . .Dillard’s, Circuit City, Old Navy, Gap and all the rest was supposed to have 2nd and 3rd locations but due the troubled economy these companies closed these stores to save money nationally, not because the area could not support them.
um, isn't that the same thing? if the people there don't have money to spend because of the economy, doesn't that in fact mean the area can't support them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,820,068 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
um, isn't that the same thing? if the people there don't have money to spend because of the economy, doesn't that in fact mean the area can't support them?
NOPE, When a market can't support, means that Pop base is too small to support or maintain the amount of growth... For example if you have a city with a pop base of 30,000 you not going to put 5 Walmarts there, because its not enough people to support all 5 five stores.. equally....thats not the case in Macon there are enough people buying and shopping its just nationally -(meaning US wide, not locally) these Companies as a whole was suffering so they started to close locations to cut the national cost.... The propose of the closings were to keep from suffering the same fate as Circuit City did....Both Dillard stores were doing ok, but the company was not nationally. So the Macon Mall was one of the store they decided to close since it was a leased store, As well star bucks, Goodys and lots of others, that had nothing to do with the Macon Market... If the Economy had never fall, Both Dillards and circuit cities would be still open as planned back in 2006 when the developments were proposed. It doesn't take a Genius to realize what I'm saying.. Macon was not the only city that closed stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,941 posts, read 9,243,580 times
Reputation: 1069
I didn't say macon was the only city that closed stores.


It also "doesn't take a genius" to figure out that its not only population numbers; its how much money they have. At least I thought it didn't.

If you have half a million people, and they're all making $30k or less, who besides wal-mart is moving in there? Does your analysis still hold water? Of course not.

Some of your opinions have no basis in reality, and this is one of them.

__________________

edit to add:

<< I forgot my jackass thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Evergreen,CO
4 posts, read 9,289 times
Reputation: 10
Macon is a major cess pit, I'm 32 yrs old and was born in Macon in 1976, I've lived here my entire life but I'm finally getting out in 2009, I've been wanting to get out for at least 10 yrs. I can't wait to get out to Colorado, thats where I'm moving to, fortunately my property is about to sell, and thats the only thing thats been keeping me from moving. I want to get out so bad that its likely that I'll NEVER see my mom again, or any of my relatives because I'm never coming back, not even to visit.

I'll soon have the money to relocate as I need it to get me set up in Colorado, I know not a soul where I'm going nor do I have any job prospects there...I'm just GOING ! No more hellish humid heat of the summer time, no more high rates of violent crime or thug gangsters,ect. Many of the businesses around Macon have p-i-s-s poor service as well, eating places are slack , quality jobs have always been hard to get in Macon I've found that those who got decent jobs got them because not of what they knew...but WHO they knew, the good ol'boy attitude is alive and well in Macon.

Politics in Macon sucks as well, especially concerning the Mayor and City Council blocking businesses from coming into Macon, there has been an attitude of not wanting outsiders coming here, not always...but most of the time, Briggs & Stratton wanted to come here and they were blocked, the Miller brewery thats in Albany wanted to come here and they were blocked citing the reason by the Council as they would pull too much water from the Ocmulgee, some wealthy Japanese that know of Macon because of the Cherry Blossom events wanted to come here and build a huge amusement park and they were blocked. Macon is a dead backwards city that seems to do everything that it can to stay awful and unprosperous. I have hated Macon with a fervent passion, and would not recommend it to NO ONE.

In a matter of 2 months , I'll be gone, gone, gone, and the day I have that U-HAUL truck packed up driving out of Macon, I'll have one hand on the steering wheel and the other out the window raised with middle finger extended giving my goodbye wave to Macon... I'm not the only person that feels this way, there are others on here with detailed negative remarks towards Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top