Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM

726 posts, read 2,817,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Yes, millions of dollars of tax money is poured down the drain to support Macon's housing projects, and welfare class. You have third and fourth generation people who have never worked, and have no plans to do so.

The answer is not for my family to move into a bad area to try and manage that tax money more efficiently. The answer is to move away from that mess, and then seek legislation reclaiming our tax dollars.

That is why I said that Macon is irreparably broken. The city tax money is going away fast as everyone moves to nice areas. Every year a higher percentage of the population living inside Macon city limits are on full time welfare. These are folks who expect a free house, free food, and a free check. As that money dries up, the crime rate will just continue to climb.

The problem with Macon is that, driving through, parts of it look pretty. All the 1800's era buildings and cherry trees, so charming. Take Mercer Univ. It looks like a picture postcard. What they don't tell prospective students parents is that their sons and daughters will be within walking distance of gangland.

I wish the gangs would burn down the city once a year like Detroit. At least then people would know what they are getting into.

Your response/post makes No sense "ulsterscot" you are just trying to bash Macon, what you mention above is happening in every village, town and city across America.....you act like Macon is the only city that has projects, gang lands, people on welfare and etc. All of the best and glamorous cities in this nations has poor neighborhoods, slums and ganglands..... try and post something supporting that really makes Macon look like a stand along slum, in stead of scraping the bucket to find trash,because in that case according to your post every city in America is a slum and hell hole......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
It always amuses me when these "Macon is great!" threads pop up. It seems lots of realtors and Macon development folks frequent here.

You'll notice almost all of this new development is way outside of the actual city. That is because it is a rat hole, and people are rightly fleeing to the suburbs.

The Middle Georgia area is a very nice place to live, don't get me wrong. I hope people who are moving to the area realize the difference between Warner Robins, Centerville, Perry, Byron, and other new areas outside of Macon, and Macon proper.

Macon itself is irreparably broken. The city govt is a joke, crime is rampant, and the schools are horrendous.

I could not, in good conscience, recommend anyone move into Macon proper.
What cities Don't?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 PM

123 posts, read 747,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Your response/post makes No sense "ulsterscot" you are just trying to bash Macon, what you mention above is happening in every village, town and city across America.....you act like Macon is the only city that has projects, gang lands, people on welfare and etc. All of the best and glamorous cities in this nations has poor neighborhoods, slums and ganglands..... try and post something supporting that really makes Macon look like a stand along slum, in stead of scraping the bucket to find trash,because in that case according to your post every city in America is a slum and hell hole......
Please, this from the person who claims that they didn't know there was crime in Macon till they saw it on tv.

Population wise, Macon's crime rate is staggeringly high.

Here is a comparison between Atlanta and Macon. You can compare other cities to Macon as well. You will see that the crime rates in Macon are way out of whack for a city it's size.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Yes, all cities have bad areas. What makes Macon unique is how bad it is overall. Not just the crime rate, but the inept city govt, and horrible schools.

Showing pretty pictures of developments in the north Macon suburbs doesn't give an accurate picture of the city. A large, and growing part of Macon is worn out shotgun shacks with no doors, and brick housing projects with red dirt lawns.

Folks, take Yerocal's posts with a grain of salt since he is obviously trying to sell something.

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2008 at 04:26 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,477 times
Torn
I believe both of you are correct. Yerocal does build it up too much and ulsterscot just tears it down to much. All in all I guess you cancel one another out. Doesn't that just feel great to be canceled out. Instead of working against one another why don't put those efforts together for the greater common good and actually make something happen. Awwww now kiss and make up like good little droids.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Torn
I believe both of you are correct. Yerocal does build it up too much and ulsterscot just tears it down to much. All in all I guess you cancel one another out. Doesn't that just feel great to be canceled out. Instead of working against one another why don't put those efforts together for the greater common good and actually make something happen. Awwww now kiss and make up like good little droids.
Pickle is exacrly right. Yerocal may go a little overboard, but ulsterscot is going even more so overboard with the bashing. I think people like Yerocal just try to respond to people's radical negative views on Macon. It's not as bad as made, out and nobody says that it is heaven.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times
ulstercot, I would encourage you or anyone who thinks macon is so bad to simply google "Crime rates for United States cities with populations Between 60,000 and 100,000 in 2006"

Macon is in the middle of the pack.
You have cities with similar population as macon
like Gary, Indiana, Compton, Camden, NJ, with 40 plus murders to Macon's 12.

Macon is below such cities as Jackson, TN, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Fort Smith, Arkansas
Sante Fe, New mexico in murders and Macon is in the middle of the pack in
most of these categories basically.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Please, this from the person who claims that they didn't know there was crime in Macon till they saw it on tv.

Population wise, Macon's crime rate is staggeringly high.

Here is a comparison between Atlanta and Macon. You can compare other cities to Macon as well. You will see that the crime rates in Macon are way out of whack for a city it's size.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Yes, all cities have bad areas. What makes Macon unique is how bad it is overall. Not just the crime rate, but the inept city govt, and horrible schools.

Showing pretty pictures of developments in the north Macon suburbs doesn't give an accurate picture of the city. A large, and growing part of Macon is worn out shotgun shacks with no doors, and brick housing projects with red dirt lawns.

Folks, take Yerocal's posts with a grain of salt since he is obviously trying to sell something.
Well, you need to practice what you preach, that true that Macon does have a bit of a crime problem and some bad looking areas as well, but just like you mention that i need speak on the bad, so then you should speak the good. spite the crime in Macon is not a hell hole and there are a lot of nice parts as well.... as bad areas.

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2008 at 04:26 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times
Quote:
Well, you need to practice what you preach, that true that Macon does have a bit of a crime problem and some bad looking areas as well, but just like you mention that i need speak on the bad, so then you should speak the good. spite the crime in Macon is not a hell hole and there are a lot of nice parts as well.... as bad areas.
........PREACH AWAY.........

I could not help but notice on Macon.com that there were 12 shootings in 12 days in the great city of Macon. To clarify, that is 12 people getting shot, with firearms, in less than two weeks. That is just a tad bit on the violent side, don't you think, yerocal? I am looking forward to you explaining your great and safe city out of this one. Were they all just cleaning their guns when they went off?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
........PREACH AWAY.........

I could not help but notice on Macon.com that there were 12 shootings in 12 days in the great city of Macon. To clarify, that is 12 people getting shot, with firearms, in less than two weeks. That is just a tad bit on the violent side, don't you think, yerocal? I am looking forward to you explaining your great and safe city out of this one. Were they all just cleaning their guns when they went off?
Well everyone can say what ever you want about Macon because it all an opinion, but Macon is still booming in growth and will contniue to do so...spite all of the 12 shootings and etc. Crime is everywhere and no city will ever be crime free.... You have it correct Macon is a great city and will continue to become even better...Full of huge growth and more opportunities ...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 PM

41 posts, read 166,770 times
Also note that even with all the rainbows and unicorns, Warner Robins had 2 murders during that same period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon