Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 PM

11 posts, read 45,645 times

Advertisements

Hey all..I am considering moving to Macon on Richmond Street (around 710 Richmond). Does anyone have an idea of how it is safety wise? I am not interested in people who are afraid of their own shadow.

I am looking for an honest opinion on this area in relation to the rest of Macon. Is this a decent area? I was told yes but I want to be sure from people who have a good handle on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,262,781 times
Personally, I wouldn't drive down this street at night. Period. It is not safe in my opinion. This area is a mix of working class families with a larger majority of Section 8 rentals full of transient families and their high school/young adult aged children who wear all blue from top to bottom and roam the streets at all hours. Make of that what you will.

I am not afraid of my own shadow at all, but this neighborhood is far below my personal safety threshold. There are other low cost housing options in town that are better choices especially with the current foreclosure mess. I would buy a camper and live in a KOA campground first. Please come visit and drive around before making your decision.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

11 posts, read 45,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Personally, I wouldn't drive down this street at night. Period. It is not safe in my opinion. This area is a mix of working class families with a larger majority of Section 8 rentals full of transient families and their high school/young adult aged children who wear all blue from top to bottom and roam the streets at all hours. Make of that what you will.

I am not afraid of my own shadow at all, but this neighborhood is far below my personal safety threshold. There are other low cost housing options in town that are better choices especially with the current foreclosure mess. I would buy a camper and live in a KOA campground first. Please come visit and drive around before making your decision.

Thanks for your reply. I am going to rethink this before I go jumping into anything. I do not want to live in a warzone..lol. I would like a neighborhood where at least the majority of people work. I would prefer a community that is at least somewhat professional and while not everyone who is on section 8 is bad, I do not want to live in a community where that is the norm. Things like that spell trouble when no one in your neighborhood has any ambition except to commit crimes.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
You do not want to live anywhere near Houston Avenue. Houston Road, yes, but definitely not Houston Avenue.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 233,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeruzz View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am going to rethink this before I go jumping into anything. I do not want to live in a warzone..lol. I would like a neighborhood where at least the majority of people work. I would prefer a community that is at least somewhat professional and while not everyone who is on section 8 is bad, I do not want to live in a community where that is the norm. Things like that spell trouble when no one in your neighborhood has any ambition except to commit crimes.

You do know that that's the worst neighborhood(crime/poverty wise) in all of macon???..... Houston road is no better either.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,109,843 times
Houston Ave. is one of the few places in Macon that actually deserve all the criticism. All of Macon is not like that, but when you read/hear these people giving their misguided generalized opinions on Macon as a whole, it generally describes the Broadway, Houston Ave, 2nd Street area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon