Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 AM

511 posts, read 2,469,605 times

Advertisements

I dont much about Houston County and what there plans are for along US 247 but the Macon Regional airport is located along this connector from Macon to Warner Robins, visa versa. But Bibb County has turned most of the area into an Industrial Area, as you may have seen Kohl's Distribution center is located in this southern charm you speak off. Im sure Bibb County will find some use for this area, and really revatilize it like there doing North and Southwest Bibb County. Southwest Bibb County is really booming, with over a thousand homes getting under construction soon, and major commercial businesses like McDonald's, DQ, Zaxby's and other planning to move to Hartley Bridge Road. There is also news that a Movie Theatre along with T.G.I Fridays' first restaruant in Middle Georgia being located along Harley Bridge Road. But they will have to do something along 247, especially with Smiley's being out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM

634 posts, read 2,914,512 times
Yeah, the are around Smiley's looks like a dump.. That area should be cleaned up. That is why I thought South Macon was pretty dirty.

Also the new Nichiha Cement Factory is at the Airport Industrial Park too..

Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 PM

726 posts, read 2,808,680 times
Moderator cut: Removed I have to be truefully Macon is like any other city it has it ups and it has it downs, it has it's slums and its has it nice areas & subdivisons. Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 07-01-2007 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 AM

634 posts, read 2,914,512 times
Yeah, I agree Yerocal! Macon is a nice city, and people need to stop being jealous of it, because it has the history that most Georgian cities lack.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 AM

276 posts, read 1,123,938 times
I read your post and I am glad I did. I was actually considering looking into Macon. Do you have any suggestions on counties and areas in GA that are a nice safe,good schools and low crime(does that exist). My husband and I with our 11 yr old daughter live in Florida(transplants from NH) but now that my mom is gone(we moved here three years ago to spend the next 20 yrs or so closer to her so when her time came we would be here...little did we know it would be 3 yrs and not 20) but with Mom gone and taxes, homeowners etc so high here(Collier Country) it is becoming more and more clear that we need to move to another state but we do not want to move back north...we hate snow(a little is ok but not 100+ inches) ...We would like to stay somwhat close to Fl so incase my step dad needs us we can drive without to much of an issue in the same day...Just thought I would ask as your post is recent and you answered questions that were(are) important to me and being a police officer I would trust that you know the areas as others might not...Thanks so much

Old 06-10-2007, 09:55 AM

Macon-Bibb County would be great for you being that the Macon Police, and the Bibb County Sheriff are both looking to hire officers, along with the Georgia State Patrol. Macon is a great city, but crime is a little on the high side, but as I stated before, crime is dropping tremendiously. If you need any more information I will gladly help you.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:38 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,186,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Seems like South Macon / Warner Robins area has developed sort of a seedy red-light district. I passed through there this last weekend and was a little creeped out by what's happening to the nice "southern charm" that used to be in this area.
We lived in Warner Robins for 3 years in the mid 80's. It was the worst place I've ever lived. I'm sure there are nice people there, but I met only a very few normal people - most of them were the strangest group I've ever known. I met ALOT who spent time in the local mental hospitals. One lady seemed perfectly normal until we found out she had threatened her family with a meat cleaver! That landed her in the mental ward. Even our pastor spent time in the mental ward!!

My husband was directing a choral ensemble and asked them to fill out a questionnaire which asked "Do you read music?" The entire men's section answered yes. He was very excited...until he found out - None of them read music - they thought he meant "Can you read ENGLISH?!!?!"

In the church I attended, few if any of the high school girls managed to graduate before they got pregnant - and these were girls from christian homes! It was an epidemic - and evidently they didn't know about birth control much less abstinence!

It was one of the hottest places ever during the summer - the air seemed suffocating and no breeze to help cool things off. There was NOTHING to do there. I realize it's better now, but at the time there were a few fast food restaurants and Poor Folks. The people who worked at the drive through at the fast food restaurants NEVER - not even one time in 3 years, EVER got my order right. I promise - I am not exaggerating.

The one thing I did enjoy was the history of Macon.

My intention is not to offend any of the good people who live there, I know there must be some - Perhaps it was just my circle at the time - but just remembering the place gives me the shivers.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,986 times
Default more you need to know about Macon

I recently left the Macon area after almost 30 years there and I don't really have anything positive to say for the area. The public school system is horrible, which is why there are so many private schools. My parents opted to send both me and my brother to a private school and we received an excellent education. I agree that if you want quality public schools Warner Robins is definitely the place to go.

People are leaving the city like there's a plague. Macon is suffering under the worst leadership in its history and the city is in financial ruin. People here are extremely conservative in their political views so those of you with a liberal mindset might find people here very close-minded and parochial. There is also a pretty big racial divide, but racism here is a two-way street. Whites are just as likely to be discriminated against as blacks.

If you consider moving here you definitely want to be in north Bibb county, southern Monroe county, or Houston county (Warner Robins). Macon is not the shopping oasis another posting described. We've got nothing but big-box chain stores. If that meets your needs then you'll be set.

And it is ridicoulsly hot and humid in the area. Heat indices in the summer can soar over 100-110 degrees.

In Macon you can be a big fish in a small pond. You can afford luxury automobiles and live in a gigantic house that is out of most people's price range in larger cities. The job market here sucks- almost all service industry jobs. So definitely do not move to the area unless you already have a job lined up.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 PM

Rodolptte your right............................................. ..........................it is pretty hot and humid here, thats mothernature but Macon is a shopping-oasis, havent you heard all the fuss over Bass Pro Shops, a new mall, and other great things already here or coming to Macon. So yea it is hot and humid, and Macon is a shopping-oasis

Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,986 times
Bass Pro Shops and our ridiculous little mall do not constitute a shopping oasis. But that isn't what someone moving to Macon should be worried about. It's our bottom-of-the-barrel public school system, it's our high crime rate, and our city leadership, which includes a corrupt mayor that has brought more shame, debt, and mismanagement to the city and made it the laughing stock of the state. People are leaving Macon, not coming to it!! And what do have to offer in terms of a job market? Nothing!! It's regressing rather than progressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon