Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 AM

783 posts, read 1,161,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
I copied this from another thread on Macon. In addition, the schools inside Macon proper are overrun with gangs, and yes, there are tons of cockroaches. If you have to move to the area, move to the Warner Robins area.

"You forgot to mention that Macon is a hellhole, and that you stand a good chance of being killed if you stop for gas there. Anyone reading this, do yourself a favor....NEVER MOVE TO MACON! I grew up in the area, and am a former Macon Police Officer. Trust me, Macon is the last place you want to visit, let alone live. Warner Robins is a great town, and there are some nice areas far outside Macon. However, the city itself is awful. It's like a small Detroit, only not as nice."
I have to speak up on this obvious hatchet job on the city and people of Macon.

I have visited, performed shows, and have friends who live in Macon Georgia, and while some or all of the problems may exist in certain areas of Macon, by and large, and by my experience, none of these nightmarish events are at all the norm there.

Just conside that the person posting seems to have a bit of an obvious grudge, odd as it may sound, againt an *entire* city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,532,178 times
I cant believe you all are fussing over two (small cities) < i exagerated tht I know Columbus is consolidated...
But as you can see Im from Atlanta so the cities u all are talking about ar just towns to me.

One thing I can say is Columbus is a lot more live tan Macon although Macon has a better interstate connection than Columbus.
Macon Also has a Far greater Downtown look as far a having a 12 16 and 15 story building but thats it
Columbus has good connection with the Airport A better River Walk And a good partnering with Phenixcity

Macon needs more Cars Downtown
And Columbus shuda built 185 closer to town= but Columbus is a pretty fine city
Id Say Columbus Wins even tho Atlanta is the boss what so ever
Random Comment= Newnan Athes and Decatur have a better town area than MAcon

Forgive my grammer= Im just a pro texter thts all

Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I visited Macon last year & didn't encounter any problems with crime. Yea, it does seem a little run down, and some of the neighborhoods are a little scary, but overall I had a great time. We did some sightseeing, walked around downtown & went on a couple of historical tours. We didn't hang out in downtown or go bar hopping (not my scene). We did eat at the CrackerBarrel coming in from Thomaston. It did remind me of an older, worn out town...kind of a shame.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM

This saying u can only have ur own fun in the city...
Macon has no fun attractions... ya see columbus has plenty fun attractions... macons the only city without one... shame

Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
The only ongoing negativity I've ever heard about Macon is right here on city data.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 AM

63 posts, read 76,556 times
Macon has some amazing architecture on Vineville Ave and the Catholic Cathedral puts Atlanta's to shame. The Rose Hill Cemetery is an amazing attraction if you have never been there, beautiful setting on a bluff overlooking the river.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The only ongoing negativity I've ever heard about Macon is right here on city data.
I know, right. Both cities have their positives, both cities have some very glaring deficiencies. Both cities with the right leadership have unlimited potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Oh pleease grow up
Did you just compare Atlanta to a church in Macon
Atlanta cant even compete with macon
Atlanta is WAy beyond
Atlantic Stations skyline is bigger than Macons and thats only a neighborhood inside of Atlanta
So wat do u mean
Atlanta puts Macon to a shame>
Ita a shame all the oldest cities in Georgia lost to the youngest (Atlanta)

Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Oh pleease grow up
Did you just compare Atlanta to a church in Macon
Atlanta cant even compete with macon
Atlanta is WAy beyond
Atlantic Stations skyline is bigger than Macons and thats only a neighborhood inside of Atlanta
So wat do u mean
Atlanta puts Macon to a shame>
Ita a shame all the oldest cities in Georgia lost to the youngest (Atlanta)
What? The person didnt compare a church in Macon to all of Atlanta, or Macon to Atlanta as complete cities. We all know that would be ridiculous. He compared ONLY A Cathedral in Macon to ONLY A Cathedral in Atlanta.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 AM

226 posts, read 483,413 times
I stayed in Macon in 2004 for about 6 weeks. I just love the place. very quiet with a down home feel. And the people treated me nicely. There are not a lot of jobs opportunity for the people living there so that kind of lead the younger folks into drug dealing and other crimes in some areas. there is no nightlife at all in down town. i am not a fan of newer cookie cutter neighborhood, i prefer the red brick home with older trees line streets and people that live there all there life's. i would live there anytime before o live in Atlanta. with the right investment Macon can become Georgia best kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon