Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
I stayed in Macon in 2004 for about 6 weeks. I just love the place. very quiet with a down home feel. And the people treated me nicely. There are not a lot of jobs opportunity for the people living there so that kind of lead the younger folks into drug dealing and other crimes in some areas. there is no nightlife at all in down town. i am not a fan of newer cookie cutter neighborhood, i prefer the red brick home with older trees line streets and people that live there all there life's. i would live there anytime before o live in Atlanta. with the right investment Macon can become Georgia best kept secret.
I was just out of high school around then and had moved to Alabama, but from what I remember I guess you could say that was right. However, that was 2004. It's 8 years later. There are around 4 night clubs and a few bars/billiards spots downtown now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM

33 posts, read 66,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
I stayed in Macon in 2004 for about 6 weeks. I just love the place. very quiet with a down home feel. And the people treated me nicely. There are not a lot of jobs opportunity for the people living there so that kind of lead the younger folks into drug dealing and other crimes in some areas. there is no nightlife at all in down town. i am not a fan of newer cookie cutter neighborhood, i prefer the red brick home with older trees line streets and people that live there all there life's. i would live there anytime before o live in Atlanta. with the right investment Macon can become Georgia best kept secret.
No jobs. No nightlife. Yup. You nailed it.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony31 View Post
Ok thank you. I'll check it out.
Hey! Have you moved yet? I am looking at a place in the Hartley Bridge area and just wanted to know your opinion. I am also new to Georgia and not familiar with the area at all and all of the reviews are terrifying!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWesty View Post
Hey! Have you moved yet? I am looking at a place in the Hartley Bridge area and just wanted to know your opinion. I am also new to Georgia and not familiar with the area at all and all of the reviews are terrifying!
Go check out the Southern Bibb/Hartley Bridge Rd. Area for yourself and then comeback and see how reliable some of these "reviews" are

Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Quote:
Hartley Bridge is referred to as sub-south (as in suburban). Not terrifying at all. Don't confuse it with South Macon which can be terrifying. There is a huge difference between the two.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,297 times
King_X - There is no reason to catch an attitude. I was simply asking a question.

midgeorgiaman - Thank you for you helpful reply.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
King_X - There is no reason to catch an attitude. I was simply asking a question.

midgeorgiaman - Thank you for you helpful reply.
If you took that to be a "snappy" reply at you, that was not my intention. I'm sorry. I was just letting you know to check it out for yourself so then you too can see how much of a joke some of these reviews are.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
If you took that to be a "snappy" reply at you, that was not my intention.
BWesty,
In regards to the underlined quote, get used to that type of response. Typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Go check out the Southern Bibb/Hartley Bridge Rd. Area for yourself and then comeback and see how reliable some of these "reviews" are
I looked back at a years worth of comments in this thread and found very very few 'unreliable reviews'.
And not once did I see anyone paint an ugly picture of the Hartley Bridge area. I could find nothing stating that there were no decent places to live in Macon. The small pockets of decent areas in and around Macon are not the focus of the negative reviews at all. The negative reviews are about the lack of things to do in a city with a population of 150,000 and crime. Speaking of crime ...
I looked back at a weeks worth of the local paper and this is what is happening within just a few miles of those few decent pockets in and around Macon

Police: Two mean shot to death in east Macon duplex did not shoot each other

Masked man robs KFC in north Bibb County

Macon men forced into a car and robbed at gunpoint

Soiled clothing gets Macon burglary suspect arrested

Records: Man accused of running over, killing woman had history of domestic violence

Bibb deputies investigate stabbing of teen

Bibb teen reportedly shoots self in foot

Macon police charge man with robbery by force

Gunmen rob Macon man at home

Macon man shot Saturday in New Clinton Road area

Illegal resident charged in Macon rape

Masked man brandishing large stick attempts Bibb motel robbery

One week, all within just a few miles of those few decent places in and around Macon. I did not see a single post that said everywhere in Macon is bad. But these murders, rapes and burglaries did all occur within just a few miles of every decent area in and around Macon. If that is OK with you, then fine. But I think potential new residents should know what they are buying into. I would want to know that if I wandered a few miles in my new city I would likely be entering crime areas that rival any in the country. I think it is the right thing to do, as appose to sugar coating the real landscape of an area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Hartley Bridge is referred to as sub-south (as in suburban). Not terrifying at all. Don't confuse it with South Macon which can be terrifying. There is a huge difference between the two.
Once again, an honest post. Reliable as always, midgeorgiaman.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
BWesty,
In regards to the underlined quote, get used to that type of response. Typical.

I looked back at a years worth of comments in this thread and found very very few 'unreliable reviews'.
And not once did I see anyone paint an ugly picture of the Hartley Bridge area. I could find nothing stating that there were no decent places to live in Macon. The small pockets of decent areas in and around Macon are not the focus of the negative reviews at all. The negative reviews are about the lack of things to do in a city with a population of 150,000 and crime. Speaking of crime ...
I looked back at a weeks worth of the local paper and this is what is happening within just a few miles of those few decent pockets in and around Macon

Police: Two mean shot to death in east Macon duplex did not shoot each other

Masked man robs KFC in north Bibb County

Macon men forced into a car and robbed at gunpoint

Soiled clothing gets Macon burglary suspect arrested

Records: Man accused of running over, killing woman had history of domestic violence

Bibb deputies investigate stabbing of teen

Bibb teen reportedly shoots self in foot

Macon police charge man with robbery by force

Gunmen rob Macon man at home

Macon man shot Saturday in New Clinton Road area

Illegal resident charged in Macon rape

Masked man brandishing large stick attempts Bibb motel robbery

One week, all within just a few miles of those few decent places in and around Macon. I did not see a single post that said everywhere in Macon is bad. But these murders, rapes and burglaries did all occur within just a few miles of every decent area in and around Macon. If that is OK with you, then fine. But I think potential new residents should know what they are buying into. I would want to know that if I wandered a few miles in my new city I would likely be entering crime areas that rival any in the country. I think it is the right thing to do, as appose to sugar coating the real landscape of an area.

Once again, an honest post. Reliable as always, midgeorgiaman.

Dude, just cut the nonsense. This poster asked about Hartley Bridge Rd.

For some reason, you constantly feel the need to bring up crime in Macon or bicker about something I posted.

Most of the crimes you mentioned happened nowhere near Hartley Bridge Rd, and whether you like it or not, it's not a bad area. You do not live here, and have no clue what you're talking about.

You act like I've never said the current city proper areas of South Macon and West Macon are bad. I know they area. I wonder what your arguments will be once the consolidation kicks in and all the crime statistics drop drastically.

BTW, name southern cities at least the size of Macon that DON'T have bad neighborhoods that are "just a few miles" from more desirable locations. If you're on Hartley Bridge Rd, you may be 4 or 5 miles from the nearest high crime neighborhood. Does this change in Savannah, Columbus, Augusta, Albany, Montgomery, Columbia, etc???

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM

If someone thinks residing 4 or 5 miles away from the nearest "ghetto" is still too close for them, they might as really forget about residing within the city proper of 90% of southern cities.

I went to CSU in Columbus (which is in a nice location), and there's a large housing project near the intersection of Manchester Expressway and Veterans (which isnt that far away).

I stayed in a decent part of Huntsville too and there was a housing project "just a few miles away"

It still didnt take away from the fact that the particular neighborhoods I stayed in were safe. Same goes for Macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon