Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 24,619 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the area as soon as our current home sells. Our thought is to look in the WR and surrounding area because of our ties to the AF. My husband will be working in Macon so we don't want to be too far out. A dream home would be on at least an acre with an in-ground pool. I saw on here many say to stay away from Bonaire. Why is this? What would be good areas to focus on that would put us within 20-30 minutes of the hospitals in Macon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,262,781 times
There is nothing wrong with Bonaire. I don't get that post, personally. To put it in perspective, Bonaire Middle School is in the top tenth percentile in test scores. Anyway.....

If schools are a primary concern, you can't go wrong with Houston County. However, if they are not, you can really expand your search to south Bibb County and Peach County as well (Byron area). The last 2 will afford easy access to the base, but be a shorter commute for the husband and have plenty of homes on one acre + lots. Just some thoughts.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM

472 posts, read 855,583 times
Bonaire has alot of sex offenders, specifically those with crimes against children, in the area. Go to familywatchdog.us and see how many pops up. Or gbi.georgia.gov. (Family watchdog maps it better).
Granted there are lots in WR, too, but WR population is much, much greater and the land is spread out much further than Bonaire's. It's almost like you can't find a decent neighborhood in Bonaire without some sick freak in it. Bonaire is relatively a small area and from what I've seen online, just too many in such a small radius.

You may like Byron. We lived there for about 8 years (loved it) before moving to where we are now. However, the schools there are not the greatest. Not the worst either, but since we left they put the school district on a 4 day school week to save funds. We also had a dysfunctional school board when we left there, on the road to losing accreditation, but from my understanding that has been worked out.

Good luck

Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 24,619 times
We homeschool so schools aren't an issue. Of course resell value is always something to keep in mind and areas with poor schools don't sell as well. Definetely don't need child predators in our area so I will be going to those sites to check on things before making an offer on a home. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 PM

472 posts, read 855,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymom32000 View Post
We homeschool so schools aren't an issue. Of course resell value is always something to keep in mind and areas with poor schools don't sell as well. Definetely don't need child predators in our area so I will be going to those sites to check on things before making an offer on a home. Thanks for the advice.
If you do decide to look in Byron, check out Olde English Plantation subdivision, that's where we used to live and the lots are huge out there. Ours was just over an acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon