Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 9,252 times

Advertisements

I am applying to doctoral programs for the Fall 2011 semester and my boyfriend and I may be moving to Madison from North Carolina next spring if I end up at UW.

We are both originally from the midwest, so the weather is not a concern, but since neither of us know anyone in the area we are researching neighborhoods.

We are looking for an apartment in the downtown area that is affordable (ideally between 800-1000 monthly) that is in walking or biking distance from the capital and shopping areas. We would like to avoid party areas where the undergrads and fraternities are located if possible.

I would appreciate any advice on properties or neighborhoods we should look into.

Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Here's what you need.
Madison Wisconsin Apartments For Rent | Madison, WI Apartment Rentals | Apartments.com

Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
I would stay just east of the Capital. Far fewer students in that area.

I hope you are only looking for a one bedroom as that is what your rental price range would fit within walking distance of the Capital. The good news is that you will have a longer time period to look for housing. Student housing runs Aug 15 - Aug 14, but you will find leases starting at a variety of times off campus.

I'm editing my post to add that I didn't notice that you put within biking distance of the Capital. That gives you more opportunities. I have a friend who just rented the upper unit of a two flat on East Wash. It has two bedrooms, but no off-street parking, she has to go outside to access the washer and dryer in the basement, there is no dishwasher, no central air, the kitchen is so small she has no room for a table and she has to put her microwave on top of the frig and, while heat is included, her landlady just informed her she sets the thermostat at 68 degrees all winter. She isn't bothered by any of this, btw, I'm just letting you know what you get for $790 per month. Your budget should land you a much nicer place.

Last edited by Megan1967; 08-31-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
In my experience apartments.com is heavy on large complexes. For a wider variety there's always craigslist, and then there's Campus Area Housing - UW Madison's Official Source for Apartments, Roommate Connections and Rentals in the Campus Area .

You won't find a lot of listings though until December or January. East of the capitol is good advice for avoiding the party scene, the epicenter of which is near Camp Randall Stadium and to a lesser extent along State Street. Using the map from the UW link above, you'd do best to concentrate your search in zone 8.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
I livede on the far West Side ( Sheyboygan Ave), and there weren't many students out that way, either.....

Just avoid Mifflin Street, if you value your sanity..and your sleep.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I livede on the far West Side ( Sheyboygan Ave), and there weren't many students out that way, either.....

Just avoid Mifflin Street, if you value your sanity..and your sleep.
I lived on Sheboygan Ave. when I first moved to Madison. It was rather quiet. There were a lot of graduate students, internationals and retired folks out there. My building was hot year-round, but it was a great location. Easy bus access to campus and downtown.

I'd second avoiding the Mifflin Street area if you want to steer clear of significant levels of partying. Most of the fraternities are all clusterd together on Langdon Street near the East side of campus, so they are pretty easy to evade.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Stumbled across this site www.moveinmadison.com and its been super helpful for looking for places downtown.

In terms of where to live, I would recommend the near east or capital neighborhoods, or the west side of campus a few blocks past camp randall. That's where most UW grad students and young professionals work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison