Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,547 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving with our two young boys to Madison. Almost everything about Madison is very appealing to us ... but we are native Californians, and we are trying to figure out whether we'll be able to handle the cold winters.

I have read many of the helpful posts on this forum about winters in Madison, and I don't think we have any delusions -- we get that winters are long and brutally cold. We could probably adapt to the harsh winters in most respects, but I get alarmed when I read things like "people basically just hibernate for 6 months" (which one poster recently said when describing the winters). So my question is: what do people do to stay active during the long, dark winter?

We are a very active/athletic family, and many of the things we enjoy doing (running, tennis, swimming, cycling, soccer, baseball...) are things we can do year-round in CA. Naturally, we could adapt and take up new sports (cross-country skiing? hockey?). But I'm wondering if there are indoor lap pools, indoor tennis courts, even indoor soccer fields? If they exist, are they prohibitively expensive?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:56 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelp View Post
So my question is: what do people do to stay active during the long, dark winter?
I do the same as in summer but actually exercise more, because I'm bored in the winter. I run outside and a do a little bit of indoor resistance ex.

You burn more calories exercising in the cold & once you get the dress part down to what you're comfortable with it's not bad. Stay inside on the bitter days & rest or exercise inside. It'll take a month or two, & then you'll adapt.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 AM

620 posts, read 1,746,749 times
I run outside too. Just don't overdress as you will still work up sweat even when it's below zero (maybe 10 days a winter). The city also does a good job of plowing snow from the bike paths. In addition, hiking in the arb. during the winter is great.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
I'd join the Princeton Club. They are open and staffed 24/7, have child care (I believe it is free), classes are included in the monthly dues, full sized pool, volleyball courts, more equipment than you can shake a stick at so you can almost always get on what you want in a reasonable amount of time. There are two full service clubs and at least one express location in Fitchburg (I think there is at least one other, but I'm not certain of that). Nice facilities over all, but the West side location is newer.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,746,749 times
Forget about the gyms. I just got back from a run and saw dozens of runners, bikers and cross cntry skiers

Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,056 times
I agree, doing things outside is a lot better and more interesting. Try to find something that you have to do routinely so it becomes a habit, e.g. walk to work. If you live too far you can still park half-way or something and then walk. Things like skiing are fun once in a while but you won't do enough of them to make a difference (unless you don't have a job). There will be days when it's too cold to stay out for long, but really not that many. Don't worry about the winters, look forward to them and enjoy them. Above a certain age they get harder but I don't think you're anywhere near that yet. Some days are breathtakingly beautiful, others are breathtakingly cold.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 18,896 times
Hitters (hitterssports.com) and Keva (kevasports.com) in Middleton. Keva has 2 full size indoor soccer, volleyball, bocce, lacrosse and some other sports. Hitters has indoor (full regulation size field) baseball, softball, golf, football, soccer and lacrosse. Capital ice has ice skating/hockey-also in Middleton.

Also, there's no really bad weather, just the wrong clothing for that weather. If you wear the right stuff, winter is fantastic. I had a great "first snowfall of the year" run yesterday. It was beautiful. Much nicer than being inside on a dreadmill.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 18,896 times
Unless you are affiliated with the university, the only indoor tennis courts are at Cherokee Country Club or John Powless tennis. Both have a monthly fee, depending on your membership level. At Cherokee you can play unlimited tennis indoor (8 courts)/2 clay courts outdoors, fitness center and outdoor pool for around $200/month for a family membership. Powless has 8 indoor/ several outdoor and a family can play unlimited for $325/month. If you are affiliated with the UW, Nielsen Tennis Stadium is fantastic. There are a lot of indoor tennis leagues in the winter and people always looking to play.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
There's also shoveling snow [forget the snow blower] and sledding [walking up that hill a million times]

Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Where there is a will there is a way.
Sounds like you have the will. You will find a way.
Use your imagination.
Any exersize is better than none.
Sled riding, walks, treadmill, weights, the Army daily dozen you can do in your home.
You'll find something to do to stay active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison