Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 PM

19 posts, read 84,972 times

Advertisements

Hello, I got a job offer in Madison and plan on making the move the 1st of the year. I'm trying to apartment hunt from out of state and I'm overloaded. So her are my details: I'd prefer to live downtown if possible. The job is in Middleton, but I have a vehicle so I can commute. I'm a 24 y/o, male looking for a 1br, price around $800. If downtown, I'd like to not be in a student ghetto or glorified dorm. If I'm outside of downtown, I would want something a bit on the modern side, with good parking and in-unit W/D. I am all over craigslist and the usual websites. If you can help me with specific building recommendations or specific places to avoid, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 03:19 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
For your budget and wish list, it will be hard to find a decent place. You may have to compromise for a place with street parking, no washer or dryer, etc. Don't limit yourself to downtown on that budget either.

Look anywhere between downtown and Middleton along the University Avenue corridor, passing the Campus Drive area where many students live. There are some nice, affordable apartments by Madison standards across the street from Hilldale mall on Midvale Blvd. They are in the middle of a walkable area and inbetween Middleton and Downtown.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:46 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
Do you have pets? If not definitely look at the apartments behind Hilldale Mall as well as those across from it (corner of University and Midvale Blvd). The residents are mostly retirees, but they are good apartments, have many amenities that other apartments in their price range don't have and they are cheap. Almost to a one doesn't allow pets, however.

You are going to have to broaden your net. Keep in mind, however, that nothing in Madison is more than 30-40 minutes away from any place else in Madison. That means you can go from the far west side to the far east side in that time frame. Honestly I don't really understand the allure of the down town area. It's not like it is NY's Upper Eastside.

Your post will undoubtedly raise the "what is a good neighborhood/ bad neighborhood conundrum" so often debated (to death) on this forum. I'm guessing by your wish list that you and I agree on what is a good neighborhood.

I wouldn't want to live in an area where there area a lot of car break-ins, vandalism, any number of regular shootings (even one per year), where there is high drug use/dealing among the neighbors or where there are a lot of known sex offenders (I realize you are a guy, but still it's creepy how they all seem to live in certain areas).

Re-evaluate where you want to live, your budget or your wish list and let us know what areas you are considering.

I'd rather not make a list because inevitably someone will argue with me and say, "Oh, that neighborhood isn't so bad..." And the ensuing discussion will chew up 10 pages in the thread. If you list a specific apartment community on say, S. Park however, many of people will chime in and say they don't think you'd want to live there.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely not stuck on living downtown, I'm cool with living outside. I have no pets. In terms of a good or bad neighborhood, I'm referring to safety/crime. I'll be back in the next couple days and throw out some names of complexes I've found. Real quick though, does anyone have info on a place called The Overlook at Midtown?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't know Overlook specifically, but it is a good area safety wise. There area a lot of apartments and codos, some of which are very upscale.

I just looked at the web site - very impressive. Also noticed the income restrictions. It is nice that something is being done to provide affordable housing. If you meet the restrictions I would go for it!

[SIZE=1](50% Units)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Maximum Income Restrictions
1 Person - $28,000
2 People - $32,000
3 People - $36,000
4 People - $40,000
5 People - $43,200
6 People - $46,400
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1] * Student Status Restrictions also apply (households cannot be comprised of 100% full-time students). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1](60% Units)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Maximum Income Restrictions
1 Person - $33,600
2 People - $38,400
3 People - $43,200
4 People - $48,000
5 People - $51,840
6 People - $55,680[/SIZE]

Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the response, I noticed the income restrictions as well, but I should qualify on that front. Here are some other places I plan on contacting. I have checked apartment ratings for reviews but they are always sketchy. Any neighborhood or building feedback would be awesome.

Highland Ridge
5700 Highland Way Middleton, WI 53562

Glacier Hills Apartments
1202 McKenna Boulevard Madison, WI 53719

Lake Pointe Apartments
5320 Westport Road Madison, WI 53704

High Point Woods
1 High Point Oaks Ln Madison, WI 53719

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Highland Ridge
5700 Highland Way Middleton, WI 53562

Not sure. No part of Middleton is *bad.* I think the area is 70's construction. Try Googlemaps to "look around" the neighborhood.

Glacier Hills Apartments
1202 McKenna Boulevard Madison, WI 53719

These are iffy.

Lake Pointe Apartments
5320 Westport Road Madison, WI 53704

These may be okay, but they are on the boarder of a not so hot area of Madison - Northport Road. I've been told there are some nice codos in that area, but I've never been in one.

Edited to add: Pretty much nothing is convenient from this location. It is only about 15 minutes from Middleton, but that is the closest "civilization." The Northside of Madison is notorious for having very little in terms of grocery stores (Pretty much just Pierces), restaurants (Benvenidos (sp?) and an Italian Place on Sherman Ave) or general shopping. The area that this complex is located in is very rural and you could quite possibly feel like you are living at the end of the world.

(I'm not counting the Nauti-gal or it's sister restaurant - can't remember the name - because I don't consider them worth going to - terrible food.)

High Point Woods
1 High Point Oaks Ln Madison, WI 53719

This is a nice complex, but some of the units are worn because it is older - 80's. It is an area that is predominately apartments and codos. It is very close to the major malls and shopping. Fairly commercial very suburban feel.

Last edited by Megan1967; 12-19-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks a lot Megan, for all your help. I appreciate it. I'll throw a couple more out there for anyone willing to help.

Arbor Hills
2809 Curry Parkway #10 Madison, WI 53713

Parkside Apartments
2234 Luann Lane, Madison, WI 53713

Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,056 times
I would pass on the last two you mentioned.

I have to differ a bit on what Megan said. High Point Woods is not that old, maybe 10 to 15 years max. I agree with the rest, however.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
I would pass on the last two you mentioned.

I have to differ a bit on what Megan said. High Point Woods is not that old, maybe 10 to 15 years max. I agree with the rest, however.
Hey thanks! Could you possibly expand on why you would pass? I had some things come up and I'm a bit strapped financially and these places have move-in specials & thats why I'm looking at them. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison