Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times

Advertisements

Hey friends!
I am going to visit a few friends in Madison in a couple of weeks. Needless to say that it is going to be awfully cold out. My friends goes to school there so I will have to kill some time by myself so I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on what to do in mid-February? I am pretty much clueless about Madison's attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
What do you like to do?
Visiting Milwaukee might be a better option for finding things to do.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
I like nice coffee shops, watching people, enjoying a city's atmosphere, book stores, museums.. just the usual touristy stuff. Surely my friend has some things in mind but when he is at school I need to kill time by myself.
Going to Milwaukee before coming to Madison so that is not an option.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
State Street.
Also the Wisconsin Historical Museum.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

48 posts, read 187,613 times
There is nothing really to do here in winter time accept go out to movies or to eat. Right now we have about 18" snow so if you want to be out and about in the street you need to bundle up and usually that is no fun like I say, I'd just rather stay home. Indoor water parks are fun but you need to go with your friends and stay there for a few days. There are planty of them in wisconsin dells area and even some hotels in madison.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM

95 posts, read 291,007 times
State Street is great for people watching. There are museums at both ends of the street. Also you can try our art museum on campus Chazen Museum of Art (http://www.chazen.wisc.edu/home.htm - broken link) and the contemporary art museum MMoCA. If it's a little warmer and you want to take a walk and do some people watching take a walk around Lake Monona there is a trail that goes around the lake.
Make sure you go inside the Capitol (you can take a tour) it's a pretty amazing building.
There are many live music venues around the square and some really good restaurants.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
When are you coming? We might be able to check out the Isthmus listings for you and recommend some things to do. I'm assuming you will only have a couple of hours on your own each day so field trips to the surrounding area are probably out, correct?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 AM

47 posts, read 167,033 times
If you're here on a Tuesday--go to Gomeroke at the High Noon Saloon--that's usually a fair bet at a good time. There's also live music there every night, depending on what you like, or places like The Frequency, etc., also hold bands pretty much every night.

Rent some cross country skis and hit up a local trail/park. Devil's Lake is great this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison