Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 5,044 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am in a fix, I am looking for either 1 bedroom/ 2 bedroom apt ( around 650 - 800) per month but I am not able to find one with
1) covered parking.
2) on bus line so that my wife can go to grad school using public transport.
3) My work location is fitchburgh...
4) safe area.. ( no or less crime rate .. )

Thanks
Neal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,331,486 times
Unfortunately with that budget and that list of requirements, I'm not terribly surprised you haven't found what you're looking for.

You could find something on the bus line close to Fitchburg for that rent, but it would be very unlikely to have covered parking, and even less likely to be in an area that could be described as "safe." If your budget will stretch to $900-$1,000/month, you could probably swing the rest of your requirements, but $650 to $800 in Madison isn't going to get you what you're looking for.

Even in a down economy, Madison isn't a cheap place to live. You may want to consider looking in some of the outlying communities of Dane County and checking into the State Van Pool program, which could be a way for your wife to get into town for school. The website is here: Enterprise Operations: **Vanpool Rideshare Program. It's not quite as inexpensive as riding the bus, but offers a good compromise for people needing to commute into the center of Madison from outlying areas.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 PM

I found few apt .. sheboygan Ave and ready to pay around 1000 $.. How is the area ?

By definition of safe ( low crime rate/ no drugs seller)..

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,331,486 times
That could be a good choice. Sheboygan Avenue is in the near-west side, fairly close to campus, close to the main east-west thoroughfare, and not too horribly overpriced. From what I have heard (please note that I am not an expert, nor am I a law enforcement professional), that is a reasonably good neighborhood with no major crime problems.

That said, reasonable prudence is a smart choice no matter where you live. Don't leave your doors unlocked, don't walk around intoxicated in the wee hours of the morning, be aware of your surroundings and so on - the normal, common-sense list of cautions.

But as far as I am aware, that neighborhood has not experienced significant problems with crime, so it would be a good candidate to check out. Let us know how it goes for you!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
When I lived in Madison, I lived on Sheboygan Avenue; perfectly safe, and popular for newcomers to the city; in fact, the Madison city busses stopped just outside my apartment complex, and took me to my employer ( UW Hospital)..

Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM

73 posts, read 215,813 times
There are several apartment complexes along Watts road near the west side Princeton club that might work for you. We rented at Timber Lake Village in that price range and had 1 bedroom loft with a garage spot. Our utilities were also very low. I don't remember if any busses stopped right in front of the complex, but there were a few that stopped about 1/4 mile away.

Good luck with you search!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison