Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,212 times

Advertisements

I cannot seem to find an apt. that fits my needs in Madison.I will consider surrounding areas, but only to the east toward Middleton or sun Prairie. I am an active 55 yrs old, have 2 cats and want to live near downtown, away from the university atmosphere, not spend more than 800. p/mo. It seems that the apartments downtown are either for students or more than I can afford. I want to take the bus to work, which is at the university. Really having a rough time.

Last edited by pattyra; 04-03-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,549,116 times
The proximity of downtown and the university makes "near downtown and away from the university atmosphere" mostly a contradiction. Obviously east of the square is going to be less of a student ghetto than west, but you have to go almost to the Yahara river to really get away from it. If you're willing to go that far out east, you might be able to find something small for $800 that's better than "student-quality" housing, but not a whole lot better.

This link is going to be your best resource for housing near downtown. I would reiterate focusing your search east of the square. Using the link above, you'll eventually get to a page where they ask you which part of town to search. I suggest Zone 8 because it's the only hope you have of finding something near downtown without being completely dominated by the university culture (though it's still noticeable in that area).

Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,212 times
I like your reply. I think I agree. Any suggestions? I would be willing to live further, but would prefer some sort of public transportation to uw

Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,549,116 times
If you stay on the isthmus, you'll have bus access to downtown and the university from pretty much any part of it. There's a handful of bus lines that run on Gorham/Johnson on the north part of the isthmus, a couple that run down Williamson (or is it Jenifer?) on the south part, and a bunch that run through the middle on Washington.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,368,074 times
I'm afraid $800 per month is going to be really hard to find anywhere in Madison. I would look at privately owned houses that have been converted into apartments, preferably owner occupied. Like Drover said, East of the capital.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,846,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyra View Post
I cannot seem to find an apt. that fits my needs in Madison.I will consider surrounding areas, but only to the east toward Middleton or sun Prairie. I am an active 55 yrs old, have 2 cats and want to live near downtown, away from the university atmosphere, not spend more than 800. p/mo. It seems that the apartments downtown are either for students or more than I can afford. I want to take the bus to work, which is at the university. Really having a rough time.
Middleton is west of Madison. Sun Prairie is northeast. They are pretty much directly opposite of each other with Madison in the middle.

Last edited by mrs.cool; 04-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: spelling blip

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Middleton is west of Madison. Sun Prairie is northeast. They are pretty much directly opposite of each other with Madison in the middle.
It's true that they are opposite directions, but I think both sides of town offer most of the same opportunities if you are interested in checking out the west side as opposed to the east. I just moved out of the apartment complex High Point Woods on the west side, which didn't charge me a pet deposit or pet rent for my two cats - they lived free - the only time I've ever found that! I had a one bedroom + loft for $820/mo, more than adequate space for one person, so a 1 bedroom would definitely be in your price range. It was located very, very close to the mall, walmart, target, movie theater, a couple of grocery stores, etc. I went to school and worked downtown, and it is about a 12-15 minute drive downtown to campus depending on the time of day. I never took public transportation, but I know that you can pick up a bus at many of the businesses mentioned above, all which are within walking distance of the apt.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 AM

160 posts, read 348,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyra View Post
I want to take the bus to work, which is at the university. Really having a rough time.
I strongly suggest you take your bus to/from downtown to find out if that's really what you want to do. It's summer, so school's out, etc. so things will be different, but it's something to consider. Non-summer months will be the worst and may test your tolerance.

As I also state, check for section 8 housing around you as they are government sponsored crime factories.
Here's a quick crime map, but note, this isn't the full picture of crime as many are unreported and also, the greatly diminished quality of life that entails living around government housing units:

http://www.spotcrime.com/wi/madison

Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,144 times
Pattyra, I'm the same age as you and have two cats. I too am willing to live as far east as Sun Prairie or as far west as Middleton. My budget, unfortunately, is less than yours--about $675/mo. plus some utilities. On top of that, I have bad/no credit history. My landlord refs and work refs are fine. I own a car, so not concerned about bus system. (Which SUCKS). Just wondering if you found a decent place that does not require exorbitant pet fees and that the cats be declawed. Anyone else know of any landlords who are actual human beings? Thx in advance if anyone's reading.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,286,351 times
Nightingale9, if you need to be that close to Madison with those requirements, you are a lot likelier to find something if you look for a small independent landlord who's got a few properties rather than a big complex. The independent guys are less likely to look at credit history, more likely to check landlord references, and at least somewhat more likely to have a flexible pet policy. They don't usually advertise a lot, though, so sometimes your best bet is to drive around in the neighborhoods you're interested in and just look for signs that say "For Rent."

You might check this page on the Dane County Humane Society's website for a possible landlord: Find Pet-Friendly Apartments - Dane County Humane Society. That is not an all-inclusive list by any means, but it could give you a start.

I do know of a complex a little farther outside Madison that might suit you, if you are able to go as far afield as Marshall. My daughter and her partner lived there for a couple of years while they were both finishing school, with her two cats and without a lot of income, and they were able to afford it. If memory serves, we did wind up having to cosign with them for their first year lease, but they wound up being quite happy with the place. I believe they were paying around $725 or so for a three-bedroom (they needed a bedroom for his child and one to serve as an office) back a couple of years ago, and while the rents might have increased a little since then, they're probably still more reasonable than you'd find closer to Madison. I think the name of the complex was School Road Apartments.

Oh, and the co-signer thing - if you have a close friend or family member who'd be willing to co-sign with you on the lease, that might ameliorate your lack of credit history, too. Once you accumulate some good local rental/credit history, you shouldn't need a co-signer any more, but that can be a good way to get started.

Good luck to you, hope you find a spot you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison