Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 PM

59 posts, read 123,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukihanyou View Post
So, me, my fiancé, and my little brother are thinking about moving to Madison. My fiancé got a job offer and since he just graduated, he's willing to take what he can get, you know?
Now, the thing is... My brother and I have never lived outside of Tennessee. My fiancé lived in California for most of his life, but we all live around Memphis right now.
Is there anything we should expect moving from the South to the North? I know it might sound weird, but I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing and wouldn't mind knowing some other people's experiences.
Really, people are people. If you dwell on the differences in a different culture or a different environment (and it's perfectly normal to do so for the first few months) it's easy to find things that bother/annoy you. I had a friend who moved to La Crosse (about two hours to the east on the Mississippi) from Colorado and she had a hard time coping with the differences in lifestyle for the first year. After she stopped thinking about it, she realized she could go about her day just like she did back home no problem and she was making a lot out of nothing (which, I don't know if you've been on this forum a lot, is pretty a pretty common thing).

As far as a mixed-race couple goes, I'm originally from a small town near Wausau, WI. One of my best friends married his Filipeno girlfriend two years ago and haven't ever had any issues with it (as far as I know). Of course you might run into some idiot, but you probably would somewhere else anyway. I think it's pretty accurate to say, though, that if it was rare in the north, it will be even rarer in the Madison-Milwaukee-Chicago triangle.

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry. If you don't like it, you don't like it. You can always find another place to live. If your fiance is as young as he sounds, it sounds like you have plenty of time to find the right place to live. You never know until you try

Last edited by bananamana; 06-09-2011 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM

160 posts, read 349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamana View Post
Really, people are people.
We are. And all these racists that focus on race first, really degrades not only themselves, but human kind.

"Wow, a black and a white person together. how cool!"

Pretty disgusting isn't it?

I think all these "progressive/racism" subjects are little more than a certain political group bashing others not like them. People are people and "times change, people don't".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison