Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your suggestions. We went to Mt. Horeb (not much there but some tacky trolls, but the kids really got a kick out of it). Cave of the Mounds (neat cave, nicer than some, less than others, but a worthwhile stop overall. Love caves. Strange uguy on the introductory video became a family joke for the rest of the trip). Dells (Pleasant place would be nice for a canoe trip. Filled wit tacky kitch stuff. Needs a good bulldozer, but still a worthwhile place to stop. Duck tour was fun, especially thanks o the guide Patrick). We missed Madison due to time constraints. Loved Milwaukee. Thank you for your suggestions. Hopefully we will be back and can see Madison then.

Wisconsin sure is beautiful. Very empty away from the cities. Almost as pretty as Michigan and the hills add a nice twist to the geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We went to Mt. Horeb (not much there but some tacky trolls, but the kids really got a kick out of it).
You missed the world's only Mustard Museum!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
I'm delighted that you had such a good time, Coldjensens! That must have been quite a trip- it's not every family that can survive that much time in the car together. I hope you can make it back to Madison sometime when you've got a bit more time for leisurely looking around.

I agree with you about the appearance of Wisconsin as compared to Michigan; I'm a native of Michigan, and you could put me down blindfolded anywhere in the state, take off my blindfold, and I'd know within seconds that I was back in Michigan. It's hard to describe, but it isn't quite like any of the other Midwestern states. I still miss it - though I have grown to love Wisconsin as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You missed the world's only Mustard Museum!
Bo, I hate to break it to you, but the Mustard Museum isn't in Mt. Horeb any more; it was relocated to Middleton a year or two ago, and it's now called the National Mustard Museum: National Mustard Museum | Learn. Taste. Shop. Laugh!. I think you need to get back up here for a visit sometime soon and catch up with all the changes! Besides, even when it's hot here, it's not as bad as Texas at this time of year (I speak from experience, as we lived in the Rio Grande Valley for 18 years). You'd enjoy the break!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Bo, I hate to break it to you, but the Mustard Museum isn't in Mt. Horeb any more; it was relocated to Middleton a year or two ago, and it's now called the National Mustard Museum: National Mustard Museum | Learn. Taste. Shop. Laugh!. I think you need to get back up here for a visit sometime soon and catch up with all the changes! Besides, even when it's hot here, it's not as bad as Texas at this time of year (I speak from experience, as we lived in the Rio Grande Valley for 18 years). You'd enjoy the break!
Wow, wouldn't have predicted that... Losing that attraction was a loss for Mt. Horeb. I'm glad there are sharp-eyed members here willing to provide gentle corrections, so thanks!

This is the time of year when I don't compare weather with my friends back in Madison, because I know the weather's better there. We're in the midst of a terrible drought down here, but we have no shortage of heat and humidity.

I made it back for a couple of August days two summers ago. There had been plenty of changes to my old, familiar west side haunts in 7 years and I'm sure there have been more since. It was refreshing to wake up to 50-some degrees one morning there. We won't see that kind of morning here until November.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
By the way, a most excellent storm on Sunday night Wisconsin. Boom Boom boom. It was a blast. We decided that it was the space unicorns shooting off their laser beam marshmallows (look it up you have to be teen and a bit nutty to get it). Anyway it was a wonderful storm that night. All the rest of the way, it was pleasant until the last couple of days, then it was hot hot hot. We visited 12 states in 11 days. It was crazy, but we had fun and saw a lot of neat things. Wisconsin was one of our favorites, but we really loved all the states that we visited (almost all - sorry Iowa).

If you like history and have kids, visit Virginia City and Nevada City MT. if you get a chance. It is close to Yellowstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison