Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM

33 posts, read 80,014 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I moved to Madison 6 months ago and decided to get internet access from Charter Communications. The service is pretty bad, and even though I am paying for high-speed internet, the connections is quite unreliable.

Any recommendations for a good internet provider, so I can change companies?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,329,895 times
If you have a landline telephone, you might consider using DSL.

Our landline phone provider is TDS Metrocom, and we get both phone and DSL from them. We haven't had any problems with either the phone or the internet service; there have been a very few outages (probably less than five in a decade's time) and any problems are always quickly and competently resolved. One of the things I like a lot about TDS is that they are local (headquartered in Middleton), and their call centers are in the US, staffed by people I can understand when I talk to them.

I think the satellite TV services also offer internet, but I don't have any experience with them. Hopefully some other locals will chime in with their suggestions, too.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,470 times
On the other hand, DSL uses the existing telephone lines, not fiber optic. Your home's distance from the "Central Office" has a big impact on downtime and speed. I spent 10 years cursing TDS's DSL service (the last four spent trying to arrange a switch to another provider). We were paying $80/month for 700k down/400k up, plus local/long distance phone.

We've got Charter Express now and the download speeds are consistently 8k. Upload, on the other hand, is 1k if I'm lucky. But that's fast enough to download useful files and Skype, so I'm willing to live with it.

The DSLreports.com site offers a firehouse of information (on broadband in general, not just DSL), including ways to assess what's available at your location.

In my experience, calling Charter and going through their "This is how you reset the router" spiel also involves them poking a switch that improves the connection. (Yes I lied once or twice when being baby-talked through reseting my router for the tenth time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: