Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 AM

10,263 posts, read 12,476,118 times

Advertisements

(Reuters) - Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the United States and New York is the financial hub but Madison, Wisconsin gets the highest marks as the most educated American city.

Madison, Wisconsin ranked as best educated city in U.S. | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,312,528 times
Yup, Madison is probably one of the few cities where you can have an in-depth conversation about existential philosophy with your cabdriver, or discuss quantum physics with the barista at your local coffee shop.

The UW-Madison has a lot of grad school programs, and huge numbers of folks go through those programs, get their Masters or PhD, and decide they like the city so much they want to live here after graduating. Problem is, though, that there are only a certain number of PhD-level jobs in a city of 225K people, so a lot of them wind up working in fields other than their degree work. It does make for an interesting and highly literate population, and you can have some really fascinating conversations in some very unexpected situations.

Thanks for posting the link, Paris!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM

10,263 posts, read 12,476,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Yup, Madison is probably one of the few cities where you can have an in-depth conversation about existential philosophy with your cabdriver, or discuss quantum physics with the barista at your local coffee shop.

The UW-Madison has a lot of grad school programs, and huge numbers of folks go through those programs, get their Masters or PhD, and decide they like the city so much they want to live here after graduating. Problem is, though, that there are only a certain number of PhD-level jobs in a city of 225K people, so a lot of them wind up working in fields other than their degree work. It does make for an interesting and highly literate population, and you can have some really fascinating conversations in some very unexpected situations.

your welcome
i know that many cold cities of Midwest are underrated

Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM

607 posts, read 973,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

Can't say I disagree with what you wrote.

As far as the smartest goes, that just means a subset of the population graduated from college. Doesn't mean the population is any smarter when scaled to the likes of New York, New York.

When I volunteered as a crises line counselor in college the entire staff had a college degree and that included the 23 year old receptionist. When I worked at a small cardiology clinic the entire staff had a college degree (or tech degree) and that included the person scanning in medical records and the receptionists.

I have a friend that use to work as an accountant for a company on the far east side and the entire staff had a college degree but not all of them were actually smart.

Like the poster above said, all it really means is you can have discussions with random strangers (aka your cab driver) about meaningless things.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,832,690 times
Lots of college degrees do not make people "smart."
I have worked with folks who have multiple advanced degrees that took them 20 yrs to acquire.

However, once turned loose in the real world , where some sort of result is expected, they really
struggled.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,432,536 times
But, as a Madison native who left (no degree, btw) - how many of those Madisonians are able to put their degree to work - in Madison?

I knew Phds....who drove trucks.

So much for smart.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,874,028 times
Whether they can put their degree to work, or whether you think a college degree makes people "smart" or not.... I can promise you'll never again underestimate the importance of intellectual curiosity as a common feature of the populace once you've lived some place where it's not. Unless, I suppose, you're one of the folks who lacks it.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM

374 posts, read 980,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Lots of college degrees do not make people "smart."
I have worked with folks who have multiple advanced degrees that took them 20 yrs to acquire.

However, once turned loose in the real world , where some sort of result is expected, they really
struggled.
Couldn't agree with this more!

I have never seen a population with so little common sense. It seems to be inversely proportional to the level of education a person achieves.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 17,445 times
Yay!!! Madison is the best!!! LOL

Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 AM

8,277 posts, read 23,026,372 times

Some of you will get this reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: