Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,372 times

Advertisements

It seems like a lot of people come here looking for info about Madison, so I thought I'd throw a bunch of links together--just things I've found useful in the time I've been here. Feel free to add in your own!

News-related things: The two big newspapers in town (the somewhat more conservative Wisconsin State Journal which comes out in the morning, and the more liberal Capitol Times, which is an afternoon paper, have information at madison.com. There's weather, local news, and classifieds there.

The local alternative weekly is the The Isthmus. Any restaurant reviews and local happenings you're curious about? Try there.

Transportation: Madison is very friendly for non-car options. The Madison Metro is the bus service, and the site has schedules, a city-wide map, and a trip planner, if you're trying to figure out how convenient a particular location is. The metro is reasonably clean and timely, and more useful than you'd expect for a city of this size, mostly due to the city's barbell-shaped geography. If you're working somewhere downtown, it's fast and inexpensive, and if you're working on campus it's WAY easier and cheaper than trying to get a campus parking pass.

It's also a very bike-friendly town. These bike maps can show you which streets to avoid, and where the trails are hiding.

Living here: If you're starting out renting and are wondering about local regulations (paying for carpet cleaning? Your apartment being shown for next year three months after you sign a 1-year lease?) check out the Tenant Resource Center.

Besides the usual places to look for houses and apartments, you might also want to check out Madison Craigslist and the For Sale By Owner listings--there's a particularly high number of people who do fsbo here, so much so that the New York Times did an article about it a month or so back.

People: The Madison Livejournal Community is a lively place. There's regularly people asking the types of questions that someone coming to town might be interested in--vet recommendations, passing along useful news like weather reports, good restaurants, tips about various apartment management companies. So is Craigslist, though the non-advertising areas aren't necessarily for those of delicate constitutions.

If you're wondering about crime in a particular area, the Madison Police puts all their press releases in one handy spot. Note that this isn't a blotter that lists every single call, just things that merit a press release.

Hope that's useful. Like I said, if you have any general handy links, post them here! They might be of use to someone that's searching for info.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Updated links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 32,928 times
These are great links! I can't wait to check all of them out. Although I don't live there (yet), I found another site to be very helpful in my research of Madison.

Greater Madison Convention & Visitor Bureau

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-20-2012 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Removed inactive link

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Though I dont live there either, WI sure hasnt been eliminated from my small list of places where I SO want to live. Thanks for the links.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 39,139 times
You folks rock!! Thanks for taking the time to introduce newbies to your fine city.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
For people looking to buy a home, a limited version of the state MLS system is available to the public at http://wisconsinhomes.com

Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

456 posts, read 1,396,750 times
Thanks tchemgrrl, for starting this thread. Very useful links. Thanks also to everyone adding to the thread.

Life is so interesting. I first came to Madison back in the eighties to visit my boyfriend, who had just started grad school at UW as an organic chemist. I fell in love with the city from day one and wound up completing my bachelor's at UW and then living in Madison for six years. My first home in Madison was the women's house of the Alpha Chi Sigma co-ed chemistry fraternity on Lake Street, very near beautiful Lake Mendota. Memories...

Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 AM
rek

1 posts, read 19,376 times
For those interested in the Madison music scene here are a few links: (sorry for the bad format, I can't find the hyperlink button)

Madison Blues Society

Madison Jazz

Overture Center for the Arts | Madison, Wisconsin

Wisconsin Union Theater

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: removed inactive link

Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times
What about a visit to the Union for some Babcock Ice Cream, maybe take a bike ride down one of the cities many lovely bike trails. Rent a kayak and hit the lakes! Plenty to do around Madison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: