U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM

102 posts, read 156,130 times

Advertisements

As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Madison, having heard and read for years about the wonderful quality of life. Though a number of other locales are on my list (Milwaukee, Twin Cities, Columbus, Stevens Point, Rochester MN, Iowa City, Des Moines, Ann Arbor, to name a few in the midwest alone), Madison is my top choice. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Any additional information about living in Madison is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 AM

2,950 posts, read 9,186,654 times
Everything you wants screams Hilldale-Midvale-Sheboygan Ave areas. There are some high rises tpye complexes in the area but there are many low rise ones as well. Great bus service, relatively affordable and in a safe, clean area with lots of parks.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks. Please clarify relatively affordable. What can I expect to pay for a decent studio or one-bedroom in a good (safe, clean, quiet) Madison neighborhood that is not overrun by students? And what is the best way to locate them, apart from Craiglist?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM

2,950 posts, read 9,186,654 times
Try padmapper dot com or the Isthmus newspaper.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM

95 posts, read 263,035 times
I think you'll want to be on the near west or near east side of Madison. You could also try the downtown Middleton area which also has great bus service and a food co-op.
Craigslist is actually a really good resource for rentals. I usually find apartments for my clients on Craigslist although I've tried other services like apartment matchmakers.
Often it's easiest to come to town and drive around areas that appeal to you and write down phone numbers or stop in a few places and pick up information. If you can do this during business hours during the week you should have good luck finding apartment managers in the buildings.
Your budget is tight but if you are willing to live in an older apartment or a flat you can certainly find something in the $600-$900 a month range. If you are looking for indoor parking that can raise the price a little.
But when looking on line look for near west, near east, willy (williamson) street neighborhood, monroe street westmorland, and hilldale. You may have some grad students living near you, but you will be away from the crazy undergrads in these areas.
If you have pets you'll have to pay extra.
The way you describe yourself you'll fit in nicely in Madison.
Welcome to the area.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM

114 posts, read 292,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Everything you wants screams Hilldale-Midvale-Sheboygan Ave areas.
It's been a decade or so now, but I lived on Sheboygan Ave for 6-7 years and loved it. With the recent renovation / expansion of Hilldale Mall, including a new Target, there are plenty of places to eat / shop nearby. There is a full-service grocery at Hilldale (Metcalfe's), plus another across the street (Copps). Whole Foods is another few blocks east of Hilldale, and the Willy St Co-op's second location is three miles west in Middleton. Bus service overall is fantastic, as many of the routes to / from the west side and Middleton go down Sheboygan Ave and/or University Ave. You should have no problem finding what you want in your price range, although a couple of the buildings are 8 or so stories (in Madison that's a high-rise). When I lived there, the area was a pretty good mix of grad students, young singles and couples, and retirees / elderly. Sure, some undergrads lived there, but it wasn't party central or anything remotely close to that. The State DOT headquarters and a Red Cross building take up a good portion of one side of Sheboygan Ave, but the rest is made up of apartment buildings that are probably at least 30-40 years old. A large city park (Rennebohm) runs behind a bunch of the apartments on the south side.

The following website lists many of the apartments in that area:
ALLEN HOUSE - Apartments Madison WI - Campus and Downtown Living

There are two pages of listings. The ones on Sheboygan Ave are Hilldale Towers, Carolina, Normandy, Sovereign, Monticello, and Park Tower.

You can also try this Google maps link to see the location of the apartments and surrounding area:
apartments loc: Sheboygan Ave, Madison, WI 53705 - Google Maps

Good luck! I would highly recommend at least checking this area out.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Craptacular. I keep reading and hearing how difficult it is to find the kind of place I am looking for in my price range anywhere within the city limits, due to high occupancy rates and/or competition from UW students. However, this does sound promising.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 AM

Thanks also to AmySherman and Chelito23. One other thing. Since I don't drive, is there an easier and more efficient way of locating desirable/available apts, other than hoofing it or relying on craigslist which, based on my experience, can be quite limited. Would it be worth my while to contact property management companies and if so which, if any, would be recommended?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM

172 posts, read 166,223 times
If you are from California, WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO COME TO MADISON, WI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison