Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 AM

30 posts, read 44,882 times

Advertisements

I moved to Madison, and I do not have medical insurance.

I went to dean clinic for routine exam, had few blood lab work done (routine stuff, cholesterol, sugar, A1c). I've done these tests before and did not pay more than $250 for all of them.

Today I got the bill for $1,000 (this does not even include the charge for the doctor visit, which will come later).

I know this is a rip off. I looked up these tests at MinuteClinic website in Rockford, Ill, about 1 hr from here, and these tests all cost around $20-$60 each, which is what I paid for before somewhere else also.

I read that if someone does not have insurance, they get charged more.

Talking to dean clinic is waste to time. So my question, where do I go in Madison to complain about this outrage charge?

I will never again go to this Moderator cut: language clinic. I am out of work and can't afford $1,000 just for routine blood test.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Questions are welcome, pejorative comments about specific businesses are not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:20 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,414,439 times
I don't have insurance either and I go to a Dean doctor. I can assure you the don't charge the uninsured more. You can request their rates for specific items and see for yourself.

Didn't it enter your mind to find out what the charges would be prior to having the work done? Because I pay out of pocket I always ask and unfortunately, price does enter into whether or not I have certain procedures/tests done. My knees are a wreck, but at $500 a pop, I can't afford the physical therapy it would take to get them back to normal.

Now that the tests have been done, however, perhaps you can work out a payment plan with their business office. I wouldn't take the attitude that they are ripping you off with whomever you speak with though. You get more bees with honey than vinegar.

UW Health gives a discount to the uninsured. You might want to try them the next time you have to have medical work done.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,898,320 times
I don't know where you could go to straighten out the bill, but in the future private labs are cheaper to go to. There's even places you can order labs online & they send you a form & tell you where to have the lab done. You don't need a doctors referral & it's usually much cheaper.

Find a Blood Test

Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online

https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/findalab

Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM

everwinter, thanks for the link. I went to look at it, and found the same tests I've done there, under the

Find a Blood Test

under the men's basic profiles. The charge $165 for the same tests I've done.

dean clinic charged me $1,000 for what costs $165. Moderator cut: language

There should be a place one can go to complain. Moderator cut: language I am trying to see if there is a consumer agency in Madison I can talk to.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Questions are welcome, pejorative comments about specific businesses are not

Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Here is a place in rockford (minutclinc) where one can see the price for the tests

Labs & tests

For example, the A1c test there costs $29, while dean clinic charged me over $120 for the same test.

I will never again go to dean clinic. Large Health care places like dean clinic in this country are just rip off machines. The whole health care system is terrible.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,898,320 times
You could try the Wisconsin Department of Health.
Wisconsin Department of Health Services

On the left hand side there's a report fraud and a file a complaint link.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM

According to this:

"If you are unable to resolve a billing dispute with a hospital, clinic, or doctor's office, contact the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection at (608) 224-4960 or 1-800-422-7128 (in Wisconsin only)."

I contacted them, and already filled a complaint and mailed the documents to them.

I also paid my bill to dean clinic, the full bill so that they do not send collection agency after me and ruin my credit.

I do not know if I'll get back once cent of the Moderator cut: language money they charged me. But I'll never again go to a large clinic for health care again. The problem is it is hard to find private local doctor to see. All what I see is large clinic buildings all over.

No wonder we in the US spend most of the developed countries on health care (15% of our GDP) and yet we have the lowest health among these countries.

Moderator cut: language

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Questions are welcome, political commentary belongs in Politics & Other Controversies

Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM

164 posts, read 561,447 times
Maybe they charged you more for having to listen to your foul language. Next time ask what the cost will be before you enter into a contract for services.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 AM

BadgerGrl,

I did not say anything foul. I said they ripped off. Nothing foul about it, as it is the truth.

Moderator cut: no personal attacks It is well known that medical places charge more for poor people since they have no insurance. It is documented that when one has insurance, the charges will be less than for someone without insurance.

Moderator cut: no personal attacks

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks are prohibited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: