Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,355,141 times

Advertisements

Start-Renting is a pretty good way to search the better-quality rental locations: StartRenting.com - Search for your apartment in Madison Wisconsin. The landlord I worked for in the late 90s and early aughts used to advertise there for their non-student buildings.

I would also strongly recommend that you spend a little time browsing here: Tenant Resource Center. The Tenant Resource Center is a Dane County organization dedicated to helping tenants maintain positive relationships with landlords. They are a fabulous source of information about local and state tenant/landlord statutes, and they also do dispute mediation. While hopefully you won't need their mediation services, they do get a sense for which landlords treat their tenants fairly and which are, ah, less than ethical businesspeople. Any time a newcomer to the city plans to rent first (an excellent idea, by the way), I always suggest that they check in with the TRC. Be aware that they are an entirely volunteer-run organization, so they may not reply as promptly as you might expect. It's often best to call them rather than emailing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,488,452 times
I read on another thread that neighborhoods anywhere near the beltline are really bad.
Opinions?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,411,037 times
Eh. They aren't the most desirable, but I wouldn't say they are all "really bad." If you get past Verona Road heading West, they are okay. Not the best, but okay. I would agree that anything from the interstate to Verona Road is "iffy" and I wouldn't want to live in those neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,804,577 times
These neighborhoods can be "sketchy" but not dangerous. There not nearly as bad as other major metros, such as Milwaukee and Chicago accept for maybe the Allied Drive neighborhood. These neighborhoods represent wisconsin's most diverse zip code and some neighborhoods such as south park street have begun redeveloping. As far as I can tell these areas can only go up from here.

Anything past verona road is really nice but more suburban.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,643,734 times
As MWB and R_K state, the area around Hilldale is nice. I'd love to live down there as I'd be within walking distance of Target, Hilldale, Noodle's & Company, Copps Grocery Store, Metcalfe's. It does seem pretty reasonable to find a place down there. I know that some of the condo's that were built are currently being rented out due to poor market conditions. I've seen a few at I believe Capital West for around $800-$900 for a 1 bedroom. They looked pretty nice too.

I'm out in Middleton and I do like it here. When I originally wanted to move to the Madison area I looked all over. Sun Prairie, Cottage Grove, McFarland, Fitchburg, Verona, Waunakee, Windsor, and even Deforest (although Deforest is far enough out like Verona). I hadn't really looked at Middleton because well I didn't think I could afford it. I had been looking for 1 bedrooms for $800 and could only find properties that didn't sit right with me. Something made me pass all of them. Finally after looking at tons of properties I searched in Middleton and expanded the rent price range to $1000 a month to see what I could get. I found a beautiful place that I'm now living in on Greenway Blvd. It's called Deer Creek and is on par with what the other properties within a mile offer. It's quiet here, I mean really quiet. I don't feel like I'm this close to Madison but yet I can be at UW Hospital in 15 minutes via Old Sauk Road.

I love Middleton, it's clean, seems business friendly and you have the safe feeling when your walking in downtown Middleton at 1 AM. I love the other communities around Madison and every single one of them has there pros and cons. Good luck in your search here in the Madison area.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 AM

48 posts, read 123,084 times
Thanks to all. One more question , we have noticed many home in the Hilldale/Midvale area, the Monroe Street neighborhood, and the City of Middleton area have basements. Our previous experiences with basements have not been good with water and flooding issues. What is the reputation or experiences with this issue in these neighborhoods ?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,355,141 times
Most homes in the Midwest have basements, in my experience. Where I grew up (southeastern Michigan), the soil was pretty sandy, and I never heard of anyone having issues with wet basements. Here in Madison, the soil is more loamy with a higher clay content, and water problems in basements are fairly common. A fair number of homes, particularly older (i.e. over 40 or 50 years), will experience at least a little "seepage" in heavy rainfalls.

That should be part of the disclosures, if you are looking to buy. And if you get a top-notch home inspector, he or she can spot any signs of dampness or moisture as well. Just when you're looking, you can get a sense for how much of a problem the sellers have by taking a good hard look at the basement. If it's a finished basement with carpeting and paneled walls, it's probably a pretty dry one. If you look around and see that everything in the basement is in plastic tubs that are up on pallets or shelving, you might want to go poking in the corners to see if you spot any dampness.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:33 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,241 times
My sister lives in the house we grew up in in the Midvale/Hilldale area.

Never any basement flooding. Matter of fact - best place to be when the tornado sirens go off.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,411,037 times
Monroe Street area is notorious For leaky basements. They generally only have one car garages and little to no off street parking.
Snowplows rarely ventured in there and after a storm like the one we had yesterday they could be unplowed for up to a week.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:24 AM

48 posts, read 123,084 times
To continue the Madison downtown discussion , I have a opportunity in the Blair St. / Johnson St / James Madison park area. Seems OK. Anything I should know about as far as fairly safe, etc. ? What is the most popular active, safe , upscale, downtown area which has the best reputation ?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison