Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:51 AM

279 posts, read 761,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewen View Post
My husband is being transferred to Janesville but we really want to live close to Madison and shopping/restaurants. He is willing to drive up to an hour, since he does now in Detroit. I hope to find a job in Madison. We are looking at Fitchburg and wonder if anyone can explain the schools there (elementary). We have a 2 and 5 year old. Looks like Leopold or Stoner Prairie? Test scores are way different, is that a good indicator of quality of school? Should we stay away from Leopold? Also, does anyone know of a good daycare/preschool? We are looking for a 4 bedroom home $300-350. Any other recommendations within an hour of Janesville? We do not want to be as far away as Stoughton, and McFarland is a good location but didn't seem to have much.. housing or otherwise.
Thanks!
fitchburg used to be part of the verona school district, i'm not sure if that is still the case or not. both communities have grown massively and the schools were extremely overcrowded at the time i lived in the area, that was 8 years ago.

sun prairie is somewhat of a dump, i wouldn't recommend it. you might be best off on the southeast side of madison near cottage grove road and I-39/90. there is a lot of new housing in that area and it would be a great place to raise kids.

fitchburg would be a bad commute going along the beltline - if you could at least limit the time on the beltline and only drive on the interstate, the commute would be much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 AM

279 posts, read 761,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewen View Post
Another reason we are leaning towards Madison/Fitchburg is boating. We live on a lake in MI and will be bringing our boat and want to be close to the lakes in Madison. Lake Koshkonong near Janesville does not look that good for boating/swimming... correct me if I'm wrong.
none of the madison lakes are good for swimming. for boating & fishing they are fine but it's not good swimming water with all the weeds and waterfowl droppings around. there are big muskies in both lake monona and waubesa. lake wingra is smaller but there are muskies in there too.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,248,757 times
I used to live in fitchburg and commuted to Janesville daily. The traffic was fine, and took about 30-45 minutes. Fridays coming home was a little longer due to heavier traffic going north.
I can't tell you anything about schools in the area but I do know that I would NEVER live in Janesville over Madison.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 19,906 times
Well, we are buying a house in Fitchburg in Verona schools. Looking forward to the move in January. Now looking for a part-time nanny and/or a good daycare. I visited one and thought it was horrible. Any suggestions for child care for toddler/preschooler would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 20,634 times
Your question was a location between Madison and Janesville and you offer that your husband is willing to drive. I live in New Glarus, about 20 minutes North of Monroe, Wisconsin. It takes me 25 minutes to get into Madison. New Glarus is known as little Switzerland and is very quaint. The school district is decent and small. I have a ranch house that I will sell soon to return to Ohio. You can still get a nice home here for half the price of Madison. geoflo

Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,679 times
I live in Janesville and love that it is close enough to Madison to visit, but you get a lot more for your money here. There is also a really neat new preschool/private school starting here called Sequoia Academy that you may want to check into. (check out the website of thier affiliate school [url=http://www.clearwateracademy.org]Clearwater Academy International - Home[/url])

Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,404,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBob View Post
In Janesville you can buy a very nice 4 bedroom, in a nice part of town, for half the price of one in Madison. The Taxes would then only be ($3,750 - $4,775)
Actually, that's not true. Janesville is less expensive in the lower priced houses, but not much, and anything over $200K is fairly comparable.

I grew up in Janesville and it is worlds different than Madison (where I've lived for 20 years now). I would not recommend the experience. A lot of very bored, nosy people who love to have something to gossip about or someone new to look down on. It is also *extremely* conservative.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,784,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
none of the madison lakes are good for swimming. for boating & fishing they are fine but it's not good swimming water with all the weeds and waterfowl droppings around. there are big muskies in both lake monona and waubesa. lake wingra is smaller but there are muskies in there too.
Old topic, but I need to set the record straight:
there is nothing wrong with Lake Koshkonong. The second largest body of water in Wisconsin... 25,000 acres!
It is a shallow lake. Waters are not cristal clear- as is the case everywhere in mid-west.
Boating is awesome for all pontoons, speed boats and fishing boats- not so for huge boats that need 4' of water to float.
One can swim anywhere! Yes, you need to get 200' away from the shore in many places, but yes, you can swim. Weeded areas are only in bays that have no homes around. Winter time snowmobiling on the lake is great!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
So let's see: you dredged up a two-and-a-half-year-old thread that's been dormant for 16 months to correct the record about the water quality of Madison lakes with your anecdotes about a lake that not only isn't in Madison but isn't even in Dane County.

And you did this because....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison