Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times

Advertisements

You know, maybe if they located into an area that housed businesses so it would remain busy during lunch on weekdays. Maybe around Greenway Station where all the office buildings are located. I see so many people taking off for lunch during the week. I'm sure Chick Fil A would do good out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I guess back to the orignal thread lol; i would wonder a bit on how Chick Fila would do up there overall. Like KFC it's a chicken place only (though i'd say better food); but unlike all the other fast food locations they will be closed on Sundays. That seems OK down here in the 'bible belt', plus people raised on 'Fila know and accept it. But imagine a new location to go eat, and it's closed half of every weekend.
Just wonder if the draw and customer flow the other 6 days can make it successful enough. I'm sure it probably can, just thinking out loud there...
I think it would be like the distant Culver's-they survive, but still, aren't the same as in their home base. I am sure CFA would have an initial boom, but Madison isn't really a huge fast food city...and a lot of the people prefer local places. Throw in the religious owners and their donations to anti-gay causes and I think there would be negativity regarding them in general. Not that that changes they serve tasty food...but Madison is insular and chains from out of the region don't do as well. Add in that most of the local translplants are from the Upper Midwest, where CFA isn't too well known...and I think it may be a struggle. But I hope they come in and prove me wrong. They would certainly need a prime location on the west side though...or in any busy suburban area. On paper, the Madison demographics are what the chain loves...

Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think it would be like the distant Culver's-they survive, but still, aren't the same as in their home base. I am sure CFA would have an initial boom, but Madison isn't really a huge fast food city...and a lot of the people prefer local places. Throw in the religious owners and their donations to anti-gay causes and I think there would be negativity regarding them in general. Not that that changes they serve tasty food...but Madison is insular and chains from out of the region don't do as well. Add in that most of the local translplants are from the Upper Midwest, where CFA isn't too well known...and I think it may be a struggle. But I hope they come in and prove me wrong. They would certainly need a prime location on the west side though...or in any busy suburban area. On paper, the Madison demographics are what the chain loves...
yeah having a location on the interstate would not be ideal, since being closed Sundays they'd lose a major chunk of business. Their first location would make sense in the city, possibly far east side to grab Am Fam employees among others, but more likely the west side like Greenway would work. Down here it doesnt really matter, they tend to be a destination and not just drive thru impulse.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
After years of hearing about Chick-fil-a from transplanted southerners, I was excited to try the new location in Chicago when it opened this past year. I was very disappointed. It wasn't bad... Just sort of "meh". The copycat sandwich at McDonalds is actually pretty similar. I won't be going back until the lines die down (which they will when people realize this is nothing special).

You southerners can keep this one, along with all of your Waffle Houses.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You do have to appreciate Waffle House for their brutal honesty vis-a-vis their signs that basically read, "Sit down, eat quickly, and GTFO."

Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
After years of hearing about Chick-fil-a from transplanted southerners, I was excited to try the new location in Chicago when it opened this past year. I was very disappointed. It wasn't bad... Just sort of "meh". The copycat sandwich at McDonalds is actually pretty similar. I won't be going back until the lines die down (which they will when people realize this is nothing special).

well this transplant doesnt have Chick Fila #1 on their list, in fact it's below Zaxby's and Bojangles if the wife & I in the mood for "fast food type" chicken (we have to admit the biscuits at Bo's are pretty dang good). But the locals will drive past one of those 2 places that are not busy just to get in a long line at 'Fila so some of that must be due to being raised with it.

Funny thing about Waffle Houses at least down here--they are advertising candle lit dinner for 2 on Valentines Day, with white tableclothes, soft lighting and music, prime rib, and some may have violinists.... I chuckled when i heard about that one.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Thread update: Madison now has a Chick Fil A freestanding unit outside of West Towne Mall....

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Thread update: Madison now has a Chick Fil A freestanding unit outside of West Towne Mall....
How long before it is vandalized? anyone taking bets? between an Armed Services recruiting center and a Chick-Fli-A I don't know which one is frowned upon more in Madison, maybe a Koch Brothers business.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How long before it is vandalized? anyone taking bets? between an Armed Services recruiting center and a Chick-Fli-A I don't know which one is frowned upon more in Madison, maybe a Koch Brothers business.
LOL. Probably not anytime soon. There are huge lines in the drive thru and it is packed at all hours. The mall also has security patrols in the area and it is in a well-lit, heavily trafficed area around the clock (South Gammon Rd. by Odana/Beltline). Now if they opened up somewhere on the near east side that would be a different story!

Remember that most of Madison's vocal idealogues concentrate, live and work on the Isthmus or in the downtown area. The suburban shooping areas aren't really even Madison as far as they are concerned.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Nah, the little wannabe-anarchists who inhabit the isthmus and University area are too lazy to go all the way out to West Town.

"Fight the power! (As long as we don't have to go too far to do it.)"

I'd like to see 'em try to open up on State Street though; there's a world of potential entertainment value in that proposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison