Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,219 times

Advertisements

Hello MAdsion community,

I'm looking for a place to practice my motorcycle. Ideally closed roads or unused driveways or empty parking lots etc will be ideal.

Please suggest if you know any. I'm willing to travel for 15 miles radius around Madison.

Thanks
Zaf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
Nothing like that (that I'm aware of) on public property in the area. You'd be likelier to find that kind of thing in an economically depressed area where a lot of companies have gone out of business and the population is dwindling. Neither is the case in Madison. There are a few parking lots where there's likely to be fewer cars on the weekend, but those are generally patrolled by security, so not terribly good choices for biking.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
when we first taught our daughter to drive up there (the car had a manual trans), we used her HS parking lot on the weekend to get her some initial practice with the clutch before we hit the road. That worked well for us, and it may be an option for someone learning on a bike as well.
Just keep in mind the type of bike you are out there on. If you are learning on a "regular" bike you shouldnt attract much attention. If you are learning on a crotch rocket, that may be a different story (remember many schools are by residential areas). I'm not stereotyping any rider, but know plenty who do so just wanted to bring that part up. Even driving some of those bikes slow, they can sound like they are going faster then they are.....

Of course also watch to see if the lot is posted about use after school hours as well. If you do find a lot, take some of those cheap cones they use for soccer practice and set up little courses to meander thru. and good luck!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,974 times
It is not legal to be on school grounds when you are not there for school business (at least in Madison) and I have a feeling that neighbors would complain about someone driving around on even a moderately noisy motorcycle for any extended period of time.

I would recommend finding a farmer who has some empty land and seeing if he/she would let you ride around there.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
when i took our daughter to her HS lot, that was in a 'burb and i wasnt really too worried if we would have been questioned on it. But i can see it being a concern esp in Madison.
If practice time is needed as this is a first time rider, then perhaps the OP could look into taking a course if still offered in the area (MATC at least used to offer them awhile back, i'd see riders out in the old Tech Center lot by Oscar Mayer).

or just drive up and down the mall parking lot, "pretend" you're looking for the best parking spot you can find lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison