Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,536 times

Advertisements

I have a buddy who lives in Madison and he's always telling me how much he loves it. I've never been up there before, but I'm considering moving up there when I have the money to do so saved up. A bit about me: I'm 32, single, no kids, college-educated. However, my bachelor's degrees are in fields that are pretty much useless in today's job market: history, philosophy, and religious studies.

How difficult is it to find a job, especially one that pays relatively decent? I know that college towns can often be a hassle to land jobs in due to a glut of college students who will work for less than grads.

What is the rent situation like? I'd really prefer to not have to find a roommate on Craigslist or anything, and I absolutely hate living in apartment buildings because I record music at home (and need to be able to get fairly loud, often for extended periods of time) and I hate having noisy neighbors. Hypocritical, I know, but nothing is worse than listening to your neighbors stomp around, scream and argue, etc. How much would a decent one bedroom house cost per month? Are there any decent studio apartments where my music production wouldn't be an issue?

What are the people like there? Fairly closed off, or approachable and friendly? I've traveled around quite a bit and the people in some cities are utterly cold and tend to look at people who try to strike up a conversation or even ask a question as a psycho.

What is the dating scene like for a guy in his early 30's? Is Madison one of those areas where women tend to settle down at a very young age and have kids, or is there a thriving singles scene? It seems to me as though dating in my early 30's is the worst because most women my age are in long-term relationships, including marriage, kids, and the whole nine yards.

Does nightlife mainly consist of bars and clubs, or is there more going on in Madison? To be honest, I am very burned out on the bar scene in general, but I do like to socialize and have fun. Is there anything else to do there at night?

What kind of 'scenes' are prevalent in Madison? I ask this broadly... I'd like anyone with insight to tell me all they know about the cultural aspects of Madison, especially in terms of stuff like live music, etc. I produce electronic music myself and I'd be thrilled to hear if Madison had a thriving electronic subculture. (I guess that's probably too much to ask for though!) I basically just want to know what is hip/trendy/happenin' in Madison.

Aside from rent, what is the cost of living like? How do grocery prices compare with other areas?

Is there anything else that I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Well, that is quite a list. I'll see what I can do about answering some of your questions, but you would be well served reading some of the other threads in the Madison forum, where many of your questions have been discussed at length. Also, I'd strongly recommend you also plan at least one visit to the city before going to the extent of planning a move. Perspectives that you get on a board like this one are useful, but should never be the only basis for making a major life decision.

Jobs: in general, Madison has weathered the Great Recession better than much of the rest of the country, but it is still more challenging to find a job here than it was five or six years ago. The college town effect is very much present here, though it is more due to new graduates deciding to settle down and stay than it is to undergrads hogging all the good jobs. Your degrees don't offer you much in terms of work credentials, and it is quite possible here to find barristas with Masters Degrees and cab drivers with Doctorates, so finding a job would not be like falling off a log. Your prior work experience would count more strongly than your degree in a job hunt.

Rent: expensive, at least for the Midwest. Plan to spend at least $750 for a one-bedroom apartment in the city, considerably more if you have discriminating tastes. There are very few houses for rent in the city; nearly all rentals are in multi-family buildings, anywhere from duplexes to large apartment complexes. You may be able to find a house for rent in one of the tiny outlying communities, but it would likely be pricey.

People: have you ever heard of "Midwest Nice?" That's where people are nice, friendly, but only up to a point. They'll say hello, maybe chat over the back fence, but unless you get to know them really well, there is a reserve that you won't be able to penetrate. In my experience, I found the best way to make friends in Madison was to volunteer with a group that was working on a cause I cared about.

Other costs: groceries for one person would run you about $60 to $75 per week on an average diet. You can get by for a lot less, if you are frugal and don't ever go to restaurants or buy alcohol, and you can drop a whole lot more, too, if you have exotic tastes or special dietary needs. Utilities vary wildly by building and heat type; you'd need to check the Madison Gas & Electric utility cost lookup for a specific address to tell that (look in the "variety of useful links" thread stickied at the top of the forum). Insurance depends on your vehicle's age, value and your driving record and credit rating, so I can't possibly predict that. Cable or satellite TV will probably cost you at least $75 per month, could be more. Internet could be anywhere from $40 per month on up (often comes bundled with either cable TV or phone).

Nightlife, dating, etc: I am not well qualified to comment on this, as I am long since past the point where any of those things apply to me. I will say that I can find plenty to do here without going to bars, but activities that interest me probably wouldn't interest you. Hopefully some younger folks will chime in with some additional background for you.

Hope that helps. Good luck in finding a place you love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison