Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,394 times

Advertisements

I didn't think that banks could still be robbed in the year 2013. And I didn't think bank robbery was an issue in the Madison area. I find it quite baffling.

Monona bank robbery was third in area in 6 days : Madisondotcom

Monona bank robbery was third in area in 6 days
A Monona bank robbed on Saturday was the third bank robbery on the south side of Lake Monona in six days, the first two happening in Madison, with the suspect in each robbery claiming he had a bomb.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM

86 posts, read 138,464 times
Boy, crime in madison sure has skyrocketed since the mid 1980s. What changed?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I didn't think that banks could still be robbed in the year 2013. And I didn't think bank robbery was an issue in the Madison area. I find it quite baffling.

A Monona bank robbed on Saturday was the third bank robbery on the south side of Lake Monona in six days, the first two happening in Madison, with the suspect in each robbery claiming he had a bomb.
@ bold in blue: What?

Banks are robbed on almost a daily basis. In Milwaukee they are robbed on almost a daily basis. Or so I was told by someone that used to work for the city doing something like talking to crime victims and giving them info of resources. Banks apparently was one of his near daily stops.

But they are robbed all over the United States. Last I read a year or so ago the United States leads the world in bank robberies.

A good friend of mine is in Federal prison now for robbing a bank in Milwaukee. And he was carried it out with a few other people one of which had already done time in prison for robbing other banks. He got arrested by the FBI when a girlfriend of one of the guys informed on them (angry he was messing with other women). He was caught out of state. When he was convicted he was first sent to Federal Maximum Security Penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana. I don't want to tell the sheer horror of that place. But apparently--in case you ever find yourself in that situation--if you don't ride with a gang then you hang and associate with your state. So, all non-gang members from Wisconsin hung together no matter where in Wisconsin you came from. (Edit to say: the Pen in Terre Haute also segregated inmates by race in cells--I think that's what he told me)

Apparently, this small neighborhood in the Boston area leads planet earth in per capita bank robbers. It's a specialty craft passed down in families apparently.

'The Town' Trailer HD - YouTube

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
Quote:

banks still get robbed, all over the US. Nearly 4000 in 2012 (avg $$ taken isnt that high either). Seems though when they happen down here (i'll make the assumption it's similar in most cases) that they arent some highly planned affair like one would see in a movie, but rather some ****** trying to get rich quick. They dont stay on the run long, once their pix get posted everywhere.
And yes they have happened in the Madison area in the past, and unfortunately may happen again in the future. Certain crimes will never go away 100%.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
@ bold in blue: What?

Banks are robbed on almost a daily basis. In Milwaukee they are robbed on almost a daily basis. Or so I was told by someone that used to work for the city doing something like talking to crime victims and giving them info of resources. Banks apparently was one of his near daily stops.

But they are robbed all over the United States. Last I read a year or so ago the United States leads the world in bank robberies.
I didn't think that banks could still be robbed in the year 2013.

I mean even gas stations have secure safes and have no more than $100 in their cash registers. If bank robbery is so common, couldn't Banks employ a similar approach? Plus, where do these bank robbers go after looting the bank? I mean, where could they go? This is far too absurd and very difficult to comprehend. All the bills at the banks are marked (by serial number) and should be easily traced once used. Unless these robbers have Swiss Bank Accounts ....

Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
Quote:
I didn't think that banks could still be robbed in the year 2013.

I mean even gas stations have secure safes and have no more than $100 in their cash registers. If bank robbery is so common, couldn't Banks employ a similar approach? Plus, where do these bank robbers go after looting the bank? I mean, where could they go? This is far too absurd and very difficult to comprehend. All the bills at the banks are marked (by serial number) and should be easily traced once used. Unless these robbers have Swiss Bank Accounts ....

you may be making the assumption that the common bank robber is intelligent? In the 4 yrs we've been in SC, when we see on the news about a robbery, sure enough it's some guy, walking right in to rob them. No mask or makeup, full facial images on all the cameras. Most leave without any violence, and most are caught shortly after. Not to say some dont go bad, and they have, but seems in general it's some last ill-fated straw attempt to get some $$.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
Maybe thieves aren't cleaning out the vaults in 2013, but passing a note discreetly to a teller threatening harm or demanding money is commonplace-as people have said, everywhere. I can't believe you thought this was a relic of the past. Maybe a better way of putting it is that getting away with a bank robbery is something that rarely happens in 2013....

Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

A good friend of mine is in Federal prison now for robbing a bank in Milwaukee.
Sounds like you need to hang out with higher quality friends!

Although I guess the inverse is true - bank robbers need better influences in their lives too. Maybe if they had higher quality friends, they wouldn't resort to robbing banks.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Oh c'mon. Aren't we allowed to have a sense of humor around here?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Interesting conversation, but it has wandered considerably off-topic for the Madison forum. I would suggest visiting the True Crime forum (//www.city-data.com/forum/true-crime/) if you'd like to explore bank robbers and bank robberies in greater detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison