Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 PM

21 posts, read 35,077 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm going to have an onsite in Madison, WI, this week and since I've been looking for work, this is the smoothest going interview process yet. I had a stats background and working in analytics related work, whatever analytics mean for marketing or business operations or pricing. Although I'm in stats, I've not been in Biostats or Biotech, so that might not help my situation.

I currently live in the DC metro and am considering if this would be a good idea for me. I'm still single, only about 6-8 years of work experience and might look to switch jobs after a few years. A lot of things and priorities in my head really so really need advice on how the job market is like in the area. Hopefully even if I am to switch, I'll not be moving out of the area. Moved through 4 states for 3 jobs after my grad school and am trying to cut down on moving from this job onwards.

Any advice or comments would be great.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Hmmm. Well, to be very honest, I can't say that I've heard about a great many openings for statisticians in this area, at least not outside the university. There is a surprising number of high-tech startups in the area, both in hard tech and in bio-tech industries, but you mention not having experience in that area.

Not to be a downer, but the kind of company that can afford to have a full time statistician on staff for "marketing or business operations or pricing" just isn't awfully likely to set up their headquarters in a little burg like Madison. It sounds from your post as though you are coming out for an interview that is already set up, so obviously there are a few jobs like that here, but if you're looking for a region with plenty of good job possibilities for a statistician, I'm not sure that Madison would meet your needs.

Having said that, I will also comment that in general terms, the job situation in Madison is at least somewhat healthier than is the case in many other parts of the country. The Great Recession definitely had an impact here, but nowhere near to the extent true elsewhere. So while there may not be a huge demand for statisticians in the area, if you are open to possibly shifting your sights to a different but related area in the future, Madison might be a good possibility to consider.

Good luck in any case, and I hope you wind up in a place you love.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM

11 posts, read 27,340 times
Good luck to you. I'm not a statistician, but a finance/accounting professional who is having a really hard time finding employment in Madison (I currently live in Minneapolis). I didn't expect it to be this hard to find a job in a smaller market but there just aren't many people looking for something in between entry level and CFO as well as willing to pay even close to what I'm making now.

It's been a frustrating 3 months so far, and while 3 months may not be that much time, it's going to have a big impact on my family being apart until I get a job.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM

21 posts, read 35,077 times
Thanks for the replies. You have both touched on my fears. I think I'll try to get a better feel for that when I'm down there.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
There are plenty of jobs for statisticians at the university .. specifically at the university hospital (carbone cancer center). However, most of these jobs are for recent graduates and might not pay enough for someone with 6-8 years of experience.

There is also a CRO in the city that hires statisticians all the time (cannot recall the name).

If you are good with coding in C/ Java, there are jobs for you at EPIC.

Here's one:
Technical Project Manager @ EPIC
Requirements: BS/BA or greater in engineering, math, statistics, physics, MIS, or other hard science with strong academic performance

http://careers.epic.com/position-197

Last edited by sandman249; 07-10-2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: added on

Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,902 times
I have been in Madison, WI for 6 months and am now leaving because the job market is not good for me. I liked the area, so decided to move here. I thought with a city this size, there would be a good market for a mid-career professional. I have degrees in accounting, business, and a specialized bachelor's in acquisition and contract management. I have excellent references, a high GPA, and a very stable work history. I can't find anything.

The jobs here seem to pay $10K less than you'd find elsewhere. All of the businesses appear to be health or construction related with fringe jobs in software and manufacturing. It was recommended to me to lean on my accounting background and apply for job at EPIC, ...however, I do not believe that is a job ideal to many people. I would read reviews on the organization and make up your own mind. Other jobs I interviewed with took me through multiple interviews and later did not even follow up with communication that the position had been filled. It felt like throwing resumes into a void.

I would strongly recommend having a job BEFORE moving here. Don't make the mistake that I did and think positioning yourself here for interviews would be beneficial. I say this and believe myself to interview well. Previously, almost all interviews I attended landed me the job. It was getting the interview that was hard. Here the position seems likely to be dissolved before even hiring anyone.

Seems like a good place for a job if you are straight out of college and expecting to make <$50K annual. Otherwise, look somewhere else.

Pros: Awesome social environment, friendly people
Cons: Low wages, limited markets, and miserable weather for a good portion of the year

Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Well, if you make 40-50k I think you can live very well in Madison, so yeah. I moved there at 22 and my first professional job around 95/96 I was making $28k and lived rather well. I made into the mid 30s before heading to grad school and thought I was doing well. In fact, I lived better on $30k there than at $45/50k in New England (which I moved to after grad school). I'd rather be in Madison, personally, great place to live and I love the natural setting of Wisconsin. I did lots of fishing, bird watching, botany etc, saw some great bands, met best friends, was super social, etc.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
40-50K is not going to provide you with a luxury experience in Madison, you can get by on that level of income, but you are not going to be living the high life. I have a friend who makes 42K and she can barely afford to make rent, expenses and put a little bit by for savings. This is a frugal person, too. She clips coupons, doesn't buy anything that isn't drastically marked down on sale, limits her entertainment expenses, etc. This is especially true if you want to buy a house, but rents are prohibitively high as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Megan has a good point. 42K isn't bad if you have a spouse or partner who also brings in similar income. But for a single person taking on the expenses oneself...presumably with car payments and credit cards...the 40-50K range implies a frugal lifestyle...most likely not living in the iconic areas of the city...

Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Well, prices must have really gone through the roof in the past 10 years I guess. I was saving, traveling, putting out records and had my own apartment as a single guy downtown with no problems on 30k at that time. Indeed, prices might have gone crazy, it does happen.

Of course, when I lived in SF or where I live now (Boston area) I'm told that if you earn 60k or so you're living a meager existence. I don't get it, I can live alone, save 15%+ for retirement and travel internationally at least once a year with no debt and not living frugally on around that. I really don't know what people are spending all their money on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison