Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM

21 posts, read 35,061 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

While I'm still trying to secure an apartment in Madison/Middleton, it seems to me that I might get a loft. Might as well enjoy myself I guess. The problem I have is keeping heat in the loft area while not destroying the view or the aesthetics or view of the loft. I like my room fairly warm when I sleep. Cold is not really my thing but I just need the extra heat around the time I sleep.

Does anyone have ideas on how and what I should do? Temporary walls? Curtains?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,331,486 times
Well, that's probably one of the more unusual questions I've seen here. I'll make a couple of general comments, but you might want to also pose your question in the "House" forum here: //www.city-data.com/forum/house/. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there who might be able to help you.

As to my own observations, keep in mind that heat rises. In a room with a 16-foot ceiling, it would not be at all unusual for the ambient temperature up by the ceiling to be 10 degrees warmer than the air down by the floor. If your sleeping room is in the upper part of the loft, chances are that you're going to be warmer up there than you are on the main level anyway.

Another alternative you might want to consider is to get a mattress pad that works like an electric blanket, just heating from underneath you rather than on top of you. When we moved our southern-born kids here in the late 90s, they both relied on electric mattress pads to get through their first couple of winters here. In the interests of full disclosure, I will also note that some people feel that exposure to electrical currents that way is bad for your health. If you prefer not to use electricity in that way, you can find wonderfully thick down comforters that would keep you warm in a tent in January.

If you really find that it is too chilly in the upper part of the loft to be comfortable for you, first get permission from your landlord (VERY important!) and then install a good-quality insulating floor-to-ceiling curtain around your bedroom area.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM

21 posts, read 35,061 times
Thanks MBW for confirming my ideas. I thought of the electric blanket/mattress after I posted but I definitely prefer the curtain idea.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison