U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM

164 posts, read 502,997 times

Advertisements

Are there any rural public places that would make a great outdoor photo shoot, within Dane County? I'd like something that looks great in fall, like an old farm. I know there are some apple picking locations--any idea if any of them would be ok with a group of 3 plus photographer?
I was thinking maybe the Schumacher farm in Waunakee. Anyone been there? Is it pretty?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,903,310 times
Donald Park, just outside of Mount Horeb is stunning in the fall. There is a small farm that is part of the park. An original homestead farm at that. A woman used to live there but, sadly, she passed a couple of years ago. The Friends of Donald Park run it so you should probably get their okay, but I think that would be a great local. It is less than an hour from Madison.

Hiking, Prairie and Woodland Exploration, Horseback Riding | Friends of Donald Park, Inc.

There are some nice pix of the park on their webpage as well.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,460,733 times
Oh, that looks truly lovely, Megan!

Another possibility would be the Pope Farm Conservancy. It's on Old Sauk Road, and the address is technically in Verona, although it was originally part of Middleton. It's a beautiful spot, and is designed to be accessible to visitors with a wide range of navigational challenges.

Welcome - Pope Farm Conservancy

Aside from that, one of my favorite autumn drives is to just head west on Highway 14, detouring onto side roads as whimsey takes me. You could likely find plenty of beautiful spots along there.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM

164 posts, read 502,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Donald Park, just outside of Mount Horeb is stunning in the fall. There is a small farm that is part of the park. An original homestead farm at that. A woman used to live there but, sadly, she passed a couple of years ago. The Friends of Donald Park run it so you should probably get their okay, but I think that would be a great local. It is less than an hour from Madison.

Hiking, Prairie and Woodland Exploration, Horseback Riding | Friends of Donald Park, Inc.

There are some nice pix of the park on their webpage as well.
Thank you for the info! Is that the farm across 92?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:24 PM

It is at the end of Sutter Dr *in* the park.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...d=0CKwBEPwSMA8

Hope this helps. It is hard to describe unless you are there.

It is not Sutter Ridge Farm.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM

3,908 posts, read 9,450,778 times
i have to admit i lived in the Madison area for decades and i think took things for granted, not even knowing little gems like linked above existed. I seem to learn more after moving from there lol.

Since coming down here, we've been making an effort to see this state, try new things, etc...... something i'd recommend to those moving to Madison/Wi as well. Take advantage of what is offered.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,028,481 times
Lots of great ideas, especially Pope Farm Conservancy. Cross Plains State Park is another great area.

If your willing to go further west, I'd recommend Pleasant Valley Conservancy State Natural Area. Or you could try Indian Lake County Park, there is a little place in Indian Lake County Park just North West of Madison. I believe it's a chapel?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 10,340 times
Glad I came across this post. I'm moving up 9/22 and starting a new job. Once we move and are all settled we will be looking for a photographer for our engagement photos! I also will be looking for some pretty areas in the fall for our engagement shoot. Can anyone recommend a decently priced photographer in the area?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM

3,908 posts, read 9,450,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbrit06 View Post
Glad I came across this post. I'm moving up 9/22 and starting a new job. Once we move and are all settled we will be looking for a photographer for our engagement photos! I also will be looking for some pretty areas in the fall for our engagement shoot. Can anyone recommend a decently priced photographer in the area?
When our daughter was married there in the fall of '11, she used Michelle Martin Photography for all her pix. Michelle did a great job on both their engagement photos as well as at the wedding.
I cant say how the $ compares with others, but she does take real nice images (fall colors should be changing around then as well for some background options).

Good luck, and congrats!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM

www.crocodilesmilesphotography.com

She did great portrait photos for me - and I'm not photogenic at all. People often comment that I don't look anything like my photos - which I take as a huge compliment. Her photos were great though. I can't remember the price, but I think the sitting was $25 and then I got the original digital files for something like $15 per image. Her prices are listed on her website. She doesn't list weddings, so she might not do them, but it would be worth asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or