U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,021,061 times

Advertisements

Madison is great. Wish we would have stayed there. Went to college there for 2 yrs, moved back in our early 40s. There is work opportunity there if you work at it. Unitarian Church is wonderful-we went there several years. Rent prices are not worse than in other desirable cities. Property taxes in college towns in WI are high-that said, income taxes are not as high as many states. There are no really bad neighborhoods in Madison. There is a small run down neighborhood on the south side of Madison/NE side of Fitchburg called Allied, that I wouldn't walk alone in at night, and an area NE of Washington Street where I would be cautious to walk at night if female, but that is about it.

As the OP no doubt knows, there are so many things to do and causes to get involved with in Madison, it could take up all of your time! You will find friends there. I would say you most likely would enjoy the west side of Madison, Verona, Middleton, or the small towns NW of Madison, but there are great places to live near Lake Monona near campus as well.

As far as pollution of lakes, in my opinion, Madison's lakes are pretty clean and although they could be improved, are not very dirty. That said, a couple of them are more swamp than lake. I really dont think you will find many times when they smell so much that you dont want to be around them. That said, I guess I wouldn't want to swim in them in late August, when there are lots of aquatic plants, though.

Jobs. The job market is tight. Be sure you have a clear career path when you get there, or you will be swallowed up by the competition.

As far as any part of Michigan being 4 hours away--I wish you both luck. It might be 4 hours with NO OTHER TRAFFIC, but even then you are going to have to fly. I have traveled around Lake Michigan to Michigan, across the Luddington Ferry, and up past Green Bay to the UP and never in a million years could I get there in 4 hours. You add in winter weather, and well.....just so you know its not likely to be that fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,786,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post

As far as any part of Michigan being 4 hours away--I wish you both luck. It might be 4 hours with NO OTHER TRAFFIC, but even then you are going to have to fly. I have traveled around Lake Michigan to Michigan, across the Luddington Ferry, and up past Green Bay to the UP and never in a million years could I get there in 4 hours. You add in winter weather, and well.....just so you know its not likely to be that fast.
I didn't read the entire thread, but from what I can tell you're talking about downstate (Traverse City/Grand Rapids/etc.), whereas the prior comments were about the nearer towns of the UP - specifically Iron Mountain. For Escanaba or Iron Mountain 4 hours is about right. I've pulled off that run even in the winter.

But sure, getting downstate is a much longer journey whichever way you drive. (edit - though if you passed through Chicago at midnight you could get to Kalamazoo in under 5, barring highway construction)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or