Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 16,402 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I will be moving to the Madison area in the next month, along with our almost 2-year-old daughter. We will be renting for the first year or two as we get to know the area. We are finding a lot of places in our price range in Fitchberg, and I'm looking for some feedback on that area specifically. From other research, I can see that the school system there is quite poor, but since we will be moving out of the area before our daughter starts school, that doesn't concern me. My biggest concern is safety. My daughter comes to work with me, and we get home in the late evenings. I need to find a place that I feel safe and comfortable walking around at night, just my daughter and I. I'd really appreciate any honest feedback on the safety/crime in this area- what do natives or long-term residents think about Fitchberg? Are there "better" areas to aim for in Fitchberg vs areas to avoid?

Thank you so much for your input! Your feedback is greatly appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,881 times
Fitchburg is fine south of Caddis Bend, but not very safe north of there. Also avoid the Allied Drive area off of Verona Road. Actually, avoid all of the Verona Road area. Most of it is bad on both sides.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
About the schools (even though you say that's not relevant to you now), Fitchburg doesn't actually have its own school district. Students in the northern part of the community goes to Madison schools and students from the southern area to Verona schools, so it's not entirely accurate to simply say that "the school system there is quite poor." Unquestionably, some schools, particularly elementary, are likely troubled, but considering that high school students in the northern part of the city attend Madison's West High, which is rated in the top ten high schools in the state, there are some excellent ones as well.

My elder kid and her partner live in a beautiful, high-end apartment in Fitchburg off McKee, but there are definitely some rentals north of there that are pretty sketchy. In general, if the rent rate looks too good to be true for Dane County (i.e., under $950/month for a two-bedroom unit), be very wary.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Thank you for the very specific feedback- that's exactly what I needed. The Northern area you mentioned is where I am finding all the more affordable rentals, which is what had me concerned. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Yeah, the north side of Fitchburg is not someplace I would want to move to by myself or with a child. There is a vet who used to have an office in the same mall as the Dairy Queen who moved down to McKee Road after finding bullet holes in his door a few too many times when he arrived in the morning.

If that is your price range, you should seriously consider living outside of Madison as you will find the same all over the city.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
What is your price range? I am guessing anything in Madison or Fitchburg that is affordable will not be an area you will want to walk around at night. Look for older properties on the west side or on Sheboygan Ave. There are some relatively affordable and safe places there that might be in your price ranch.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
What is your price range? I am guessing anything in Madison or Fitchburg that is affordable will not be an area you will want to walk around at night. Look for older properties on the west side or on Sheboygan Ave. There are some relatively affordable and safe places there that might be in your price ranch.
This is a good idea, unless you have any pets. Most of the apartments on or by Sheboygan Ave don't allow any kind of pets.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Our goal initially was to find a place under $1000, which wouldn't have been as difficult if we didn't have a large dog (which has limited our options). We did wind up finding a place that costs a bit more than we'd wanted ($1150), but otherwise looks like a good fit. Any feedback on the area on the East side of Madison near Door Creek Golf Course? SE of where 90 and 94 intersect, off Cottage Grove Rd near Sprecher Rd?

Thank you all so much for the feedback- believe it or not, it's kind of scary to move 700 miles to a place you've only visited once, lol- and your input and tips on this forum have been so incredibly helpful!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM

As far as I know that is an okay area.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
That's not a bad area at all; sounds like you may have lucked out. Good luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison