U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 7,482 times

Advertisements

I am a mom of a 4 year old and my husband got a great job in Madison. I am looking for a place to move with great schools. I would like to live in a newer planned community to help me meet new people. We don't have to be in the city cut my husband works mainly from home. Any advice I will take.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,463,150 times
What exactly do you mean by "planned community?" There are lots of options for great schools in and around Madison, all of which you can find by doing a simple search in the Madison forum, but I guess I'm puzzled by the term "planned community."

Old 02-24-2014, 04:51 AM

6 posts, read 7,482 times
I am talking about the neighborhood. I would like to live in a neighborhood that has a playground pool clubhouse ect.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 AM

47 posts, read 133,768 times
I could be totally and completely wrong, but I can't think of any planned communities in the Madison area. Planned communities are big on the east coast (and possibly elsewhere) but none come to mind here. I would say your best bet would be one of the smaller suburbs.

My description of a planned community is where an undeveloped area of land is made into a mixed-use housing/retail area (though maybe there is not always the retail component?). The houses/condos/etc. generally pay an HOA. Even the areas of Madison that I know off hand have HOAs are not planned communities in the East Coast sense.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (on either point)...

Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 AM

47 posts, read 133,768 times
I guess I should have mentioned my complete lack of insight into the far west side of Madison...anyway, I found this area. Its a planned community with a midwestern twist!

Homes for Sale in Wisconsin | Wisconsin Home Builders | The Community of Bishops Bay

Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM

3,908 posts, read 9,456,971 times
i know of at least one in Waunakee (Savannah Village, may be others created by Don Tierney), that had a pool but as noted it is not that common in the Madison area. There are countless neighborhoods new and old but added ammenities like pools, perhaps tennis courts, etc are harder to find. I'll assume part in due to costs and liabilities plus developing as much of the property into lots for dwellings, and also due to the short season for using it. Down here seems near every 'hood has it's own pool, but that makes sense in a warmer climate.

OP, i'd make a couple suggestions. First if wanting to buy a home immediately, I suggest hooking up with a realtor who is familar with not only Madison but it's surrounding communities as well. It's their job to show you around, help you learn the pros and cons of each location, and find you the right spot.
My 2nd, would be to consider renting the 1st year there; helps get your feet planted, see what spots you like and dislike, research deeper into the school districts and allows for more time to properly find the "right" location to buy and set up your family. We did that when we moved from Madison down to SC, i always suggest that as an option to one not familiar with a new area.

As for meeting new people, as you have a small child i think you'd find plenty of options for your child to be involved with (in turn getting the parents together), regardless if it's in the neighborhood or perhaps part of a planned activity (swimming, youth soccer, etc).
Lastly, your budget will also contribute to where you'll end up at. Once you have a feel for what you'd plan on spending for a home and it's taxes, that can help steer you in some direction there.

good luck!

Last edited by ranger17; 02-24-2014 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,570,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21010 View Post
I am talking about the neighborhood. I would like to live in a neighborhood that has a playground pool clubhouse ect.
I just moved here, but I don't think you are going to find any planned communities here in Madison. I know what you mean by them, we just came from Raleigh, which is full of them.

It's an older town that has geographic restraints....there is just not the room for things like that. That being said, the vibe here is fantastic from what I can tell. There is plenty of outlets and activities for families...you just don't need to stay in an insular community to be social and find a niche from what I can tell.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,463,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21010 View Post
Ah. I see. I don't think you're going to find anything like that hereabouts, unless you are prepared to drop a seriously major chunk of coin on a small castle in Maple Bluff or Shorewood Hills.

There are dozens and dozens of parks and playgrounds all over the city, so pretty much anywhere you live, you'll find one nearby. Swimming pools are relatively rare in this part of the country, unless you live in a country club. Madison finally got a community pool a few years ago, but it isn't restricted to residents of just one neighborhood. Don't think I've ever heard of a neighborhood having a "clubhouse," other than the mobile home park where my late inlaws used to live, and that was in Texas.

Have you actually visited Madison yet? Spent any time in the city? It sounds as though your expectations for what you'll find here are possibly based on your experience in a very different part of the country.

Ranger17 has an excellent suggestion about renting rather than buying for your first year here. I'm guessing you'll make a much better decision about where and what to buy if you take the time to familiarize yourself with the area before taking the plunge into a purchase.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM

2,950 posts, read 9,186,160 times
OK so here's the thing. There are planned communities in Madison in the sense that it's a subdivision, there are bike and walking trailes, parks....etc. But the pool aspect is a little different here. There are private neighborhood pools throughout the West Side (and I would assume other areas of the city too) and people usually join the one closest to them if they are inclined to do so. There are so many in fact that people usually prefer joining them to building one in their own backyard because they serve as a social aparatus as you mentioned and there is no maintenance for you at home. Parkcrest, Seminole, High Point, Hill Farms, Shorewood, Ridgewood are just some that come to mind and that I am familiar with from my swim team days on the West Side. These "clubs" have tennis courts and pools, they have their own swim teams, diving teams, tennis teams and compete on a weekly basis in the warmer months. You can pick the one you like the most or the closest one to you. This is a very common experience for those living in suburban Madison, some of the posters who live in older areas where there are fewer children aparently are not aware of this...and another reason you may not see as many pools in yards here is because there are 2 major lakes in the city...lots of beach access...so there are plenty of options.

I am not sure how Hawk's Landing works on Madison's far West Side towards Verona...but there are many homes built around a golf course with a tennis/swim /golf club in the middle...maybe they pay dues...but it sounds like it may be what you are looking for, and not quite as expensive as Bishop's Bay. Or you can just be a member of the pool/tennis club like my sister is, even though she doesn't live there.

So, just pick a neighborhood you like, find out what the feeder schools and check with people how they are and ask where the nearest swim/tennis club is and you will have everything you need.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM

21,724 posts, read 38,127,822 times
Yes, look at specific neighborhoods that have more amenities on the west side. Price points will be higher, though. Madison is not cheap at all compared to most of the Midwest but I'm sure the OP is aware of that.
This "trend" of HOAs with amenities that include clubhouses, pools, etc. has become very common in the Sunbelt and in metro areas that have a surplus of developable land at lower costs. It isn't confined to places like Charlotte or Texas either. I have seen them in areas such as Denver, Kansas City, and Omaha as well.
Madison is more of a traditional metro, meaning you will have a large selection of "neighborhoods" that have a larger park developed within the area. Some of the park areas are multi-use and are often quite large in size. Elver Park on the west side of the city is quite large with an extensive disc golf course and contains a significant amount of acreage.
Growth in the towns right outside Madison has been significant lately. Verona and Sun Prairie are both growing quite fast and have everything you would expect to find in terms of amenities and retail, or just a short drive away in Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or