Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Match Day was yesterday and my future doctor (May 10!) wife and I will be moving to Madison in early June where she'll start her residency at the UW Hospital. We're both in our mid/late twenties and would like to live anywhere on the isthmus or within a two mile radius of the UW Hospital. We like to bike or walk most places and we'd love to be somewhere downtown or near lots of amenities, but not in a building full of students. We're looking for apartments or townhouses in the $1500 range, but could go higher if we find something great. Are there certain neighborhoods near the hospital or on the isthmus that anyone can recommend or areas near the university that are too student-dominated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcol_doc View Post
Match Day was yesterday and my future doctor (May 10!) wife and I will be moving to Madison in early June where she'll start her residency at the UW Hospital. We're both in our mid/late twenties and would like to live anywhere on the isthmus or within a two mile radius of the UW Hospital. We like to bike or walk most places and we'd love to be somewhere downtown or near lots of amenities, but not in a building full of students. We're looking for apartments or townhouses in the $1500 range, but could go higher if we find something great. Are there certain neighborhoods near the hospital or on the isthmus that anyone can recommend or areas near the university that are too student-dominated?
I like the Willy Street neighborhood. It is close to everything with great neighborhood restaurants and shops, cooperative market, and also bike friendly/walkable to everything on the isthmus itself. It tends to have a demographic that has fewer students, but a solid percentage. Lots of hipsters, professionals, artists, and yuppies.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I like the Willy Street neighborhood. It is close to everything with great neighborhood restaurants and shops, cooperative market, and also bike friendly/walkable to everything on the isthmus itself. It tends to have a demographic that has fewer students, but a solid percentage. Lots of hipsters, professionals, artists, and yuppies.
Yes, but Williamson St. is on the east part of the Isthmus, meaning you need to cross through the congested capitol area every day to get to work and back.

The Sunset Village / Hilldale area may make a decent place for you to live as well, just to the near West of the hospital up University Ave. A very easy commute with bus service a viable option. A lot of medical professionals and graduate students live in these areas too.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 PM

432 posts, read 544,817 times
Quote:
wife and I will be moving to Madison in early June where she'll start her residency at the UW Hospital. We're both in our mid/late twenties and would like to live anywhere on the isthmus or within a two mile radius of the UW Hospital.
the downtown IS the university. I'd look s and sw of the hospital. williamson street is called 'willy street' and it's a granola area on the other side of the isthmus. the west side/middleton area is more professional.
whereever you go, check out crime statistics for the neighborhood as some areas have section 8 housing and they usually are crime magnets.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Also look further west on University Ave or perhaps a bit closer in like the Greenbush/Vilas neighborhood. Not nearly as many rentals there, though.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:18 PM

14 posts, read 35,173 times
Congrats on your match!

There are new apartments on University Bay across the street from the hopsital (near the VA) but maybe that is too close? The area around Farley, between University (main university and "old university" that parallenls Campus dr) and the large cemetary, from Whole Foods to Breese Terr, is often popular with residents. Vilas, Greenbush-Regent and Monroe street area are also close to the hospital, restaurants and Trader Joes. Near Hilldale is nice too, but a bit farther from downtown.

The downtown area itself is either really expensive (near the government buildings and lakes) or has students (closer to campus. I love with Willy st area, but as someone mentioned, you'd have to go through the crowded isthmus and that can slow travel considerably at peak hours. For a new resident at the hospital who also wants to live in a bikable area, I would focus on living between Hilldale mall and The vilas Zoo. Stay away from the area between campus and Regent street and breese terrace- that is very undergrad. This keeps you off the isthmus, eccept when you want to visit.

I would also avoid Eagle Heights. It is nice, but always described as "quiet". It is secluded and that can be nice, but it doesn't go with the lifestyle you describe (downtown, bike to things, etc).

Also, in Madison, many near campus leases start Aug 15th. On the west side of Campus near the hospital and farther west you'll likely get less of that. One option is to look for a place with a summer sublet (prob starting June 1) that you can also renew for the next year.

These people might be able to help you more: University of Wisconsin Hospital House Staff Association (UWHA)

Most of Madison is fantastic - if rent seesm really low compared to other places, be suspicious. but otherwise, most areas are nice, friendly, clean and safe.

I hope you'll love it here! (I am a fellow and live on the far west side. But my hours are much better than when I was a resident so I am ok with a 10-20 min commute!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison