Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM

33 posts, read 41,833 times

Advertisements

I've lived here in Madison for the past oh...20 years now and might be moving on to another state...I have seen a ton of things and gone to a ton of places here in this state but I am now just thinking there's a few things I might have missed that I want to go visit and do before I leave.

So, what's your favorite place in WI or Madison that might not be so well known that I should experience before I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
If you've been in Madison 20 years, I bet you have that covered. I love the Superior shoreline up along Bayfield. Also the white cedar swamps of the Brule River Region. Not sure how you can get in, but if they have tours/classes, seeing the woods of the Menominee County (the reservation) is a treat... to see the woods, not untouched of course, but how they look under a different regime... not cut and farmed and second growth... the woods are entirely different without the huge deer population eating the regeneration and undergrowth. I'm sure you've done a state fair, its an experience and perhaps you're too old for a pub crawl down 3rd st of La Crosse, but it's a must do to me...

Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Isle Royal for backpacking.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Lake Michigan shore, especially Kohler Andre State Park. You will not find anything like that in Colorado (I occasionally lurk on the CO boards and saw your other thread over there)!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I was going to say Bayfield (for AppleFest) and Isle Royale, too. Also, sea kayaking the sea caves and/or around the Apostle Islands. A Packer game and tailgating. A fish boil.

I have found that many states just don't do a small town festival and parade like Wisconsin does.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
In no particular order and just off the top of my head....

The House on the Rock - amazing structure, amazing collection, and it has the added cachet of being a featured location in Neil Gaiman's award-winning novel American Gods.

Grandad Bluff in La Crosse - yes, you'll see bigger and better mountains in Colorado, but Grandad is pretty cool by Wisconsin standards.

Summerfest in Milwaukee - you'll have to go a long ways to find a bigger collection of excellent musicians all in one place.

If you're at all into architecture, spend an afternoon at Taliesin a few miles outside Spring Green. The tours are a bit pricy, but I found it worth every penny, and you won't see anything quite like it anywhere else in the world.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Oh, just thought of one more - if you're still here during the summer, try to get up to Big Top Chautauqua for a show one weekend. It's away up nort' in Bayfield, and they get some amazing names as guest artists up there.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
House on the Rock is great, on ___ well, I guess I shouldn't say.

Spring Green Prairie and Taliesin are worth seeing, yes, I'd pay again for the tour of the latter, the former is free... its a TNC property, what dry prairies in WI were.

Cranberry Fest in Warrens too.

Man, I love Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison