Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:09 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KileyK View Post
Also, I keep reading these posts about the constant grey skies. Is that just a winter thing or an all-year thing? Is there sun in the summer?
we may all have different opinions on Wi weather but it really can change from season to season/year to year; my thoughts are that often in winter, it can be gloomy. We had our home there situated so it had southern exposure, so on those sunny winter days we could leave the blinds open and let the sun help heat the place. But often enough for us it was cloudy or snowing, again that's how we saw it. And I can remember summers there with rainy/cool weekends and overall sort of crappy if you enjoyed outdoor activities like boating. Other summers seemed hotter then heck. That said it's not Seattle or England lol for rain/clouds, and if you are ones to enjoy outdoor activities in winter (take up cross country skiing as an example) then it's easier to avoid the winter doldrums.
I'd say summer there is much shorter then the SE has, and spring/fall in Wi can be the best seasons for outdoor activities. Winter can be truly cold, and some years the snow much heavier then others.

just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
I agree on renting the first year. WI can have gray skies any time of year, but you'll see quite a lot of blue as well. With the low horizon, even a fairly cloudy day isn't always really socked in.

I think Skippery makes good suggestions. The only thing I'd add is that for most of the places suggested, even if your spouse doesn't want to walk, busing might be a preferred alternative to driving as you start to move to the edge/out of walking range. Unless his employer has dedicated parking, in some of those downtown neighborhoods parking can be hard to grab.

For example, if I were looking out around Hilldale (west) or East Towne (NE) and commuting near the capitol I'd be looking at the bus over driving. But it's a nice town for biking/walking as well, and with the right gear if you're near-in you can walk pretty much year round.

I'd rather put on the long johns and boots and walk a mile vs. shovel the car out, but then I'm not from the south. [I didn't mean that as an insult, I just meant that the wind off the lake or trudging through snow may bother you more]

Old 05-31-2014, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 36,177 times
Thanks for all your good information. And I have another question: are there any gyms that are in or around Vilas, Willy St, Monroe Street or other close in neighborhoods? With my lack of driving- in- the -snow knowledge, it would be very nice to be within walking distance of a gym if I can't run or bike outdoors.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Sincé you want to be in walking distance to stores, grocery shopping, gyms, somewhat near the university, not have to shovel...why not look into a condo in downtown or the Hilldale área? I am sure the new buildings have all the amenities you are looking for. You could probably even rent one initially while you get a feel for the city.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Yes. It was actually too sunny last weekend. Got burned quickly.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 AM

Chelito, a condo is an excellent idea. As I will be friend-less when we move there, I am not sure if a condo would be the easiest way to meet people? But I have never lived in one so I do not know. But I love the suggestion of renting a condo downtown while we look for a house. Any suggestions on where to find a rental condo downtown?

Timberline, your weather has been warmer than ours the last few days. Still, without having ever experienced it, I am anxious about having to drive around everyday-to groc store, gym, etc-when there are large amounts of snow. I am sure that will change after I've gone through a few winters.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KileyK View Post
Timberline, your weather has been warmer than ours the last few days. Still, without having ever experienced it, I am anxious about having to drive around everyday-to groc store, gym, etc-when there are large amounts of snow. I am sure that will change after I've gone through a few winters.

Thanks again for the help.
While winter driving can and will have its bad days, one can be prepared so if it does come down heavy then perhaps travel isn't needed (except for employment). You will have an idea on a pending snow storm, so just hit the store early. Same as down here when a hurricane or potential ice storm is in the works one just shops early. And if the storm is overnight, the main roads will, be fairly clean in the am just the secondary roads could be untouched. Of course if its coming down hard during the day then it will have to be dealt with if you do travel.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Honestly I don't have any first hand information on the condos other than what I have seen around and in the media. There was and is another building boom of upscale apartments and condos in Downtown Madison catering to young professionals....but there are also some near Hilldale. I don't know how conducive they are to meeting people vs. single family housing though. I just know they offer a lot of what you want in the áreas you want. I would consult with a realtor...and look around Hilldale and Downtown. Maybe some other posters have more specific information about condos or new upscale apartments in walkable áreas?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
A lot of the complexes (at least the ones I've been in) around Hilldale are older and don't have the modern gym/spa type amenities. Go out towards the beltline and you'll find more complexes are newer construction, but that also means more driving. [edit - and FWIW there are work-out options around: http://www.yelp.com/biz/goodman-comm...center-madison e.g., or take up running/biking or paddling on the lake]

I wouldn't panic about driving in snow. It's not like Atlanta where 2 inches stays on the ground and shuts down the city for a week. Madison has plows, and salts. Even the sidewalks will often be salted.

Mostly what you want to be prepared for is the possiblity of having to do some short-distance driving while it's actually snowing, which means:
A) slow down
B) learn how to not panic
C) learn how to steer out of a skid (depends on if your car is FWD, RWD, or 4WD)
D) leave more distance for breaking, particularly on an incline.

D will apply regardless of your skill. As you improve B/C, you can maintain something closer to normal speed so you aren't clearly the out-of-stater creeping along at 5 mph. And donuts in a parking lot will help - just make sure to stay clear of light stanchions, parked cars, and concrete parking bumpers.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 AM

Oh boy, I don't even know what a light stanchion is: how will I avoid them?

Thanks for all the great advice. And who knows, maybe there will be fairly snow-less winters the next few years while I figure this driving-in-the-snow thing out. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison