Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,588,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
What do you think would be a good "move up" from Portland, for someone who can't afford somewhere like Boston?
I think the Portland, ME suggestion is an interesting one. I already said I thought Ithaca was worth a look, and probably also toss in Olympia. Elsewhere in the PNW Bellingham is nice in some ways, but the same income/COL problem exists as Portland. Eugene is a bit cheaper, but relatively weaker economy and a tad warmer. Pretty good bus system though, and fairly easy to get around by bike.

Rochester or Buffalo NY if you were looking for something larger - both have seen better days, but might be worth a look.

In general I think you're likely to have to sacrifice something. For one, Portland is in a temperate corner of the country. The bulk of the rest of the US is warmer (and typically more humid) for at least 3 months of the year. So Pittsburgh or Des Moines would meet some of your criteria, but it's not going to be less hot in either place.

So, with a few exceptions (like Asheville which is more temperate due to elevation, but definitely not cheap either) you're mostly looking at states that border Canada and/or at elevation, and even parts of those areas still get pretty warm in summer.

That makes for a fairly small number of cities to choose from at all, and most will fail one or more of your stated criteria - too conservative (Boise) or too liberal (Burlington) - even in the rare case they are more affordable without a drop in economy. LaCrosse has a few charms (cheap beer and you can buy kegs on Sunday, surrounding area is pretty), but I don't think it sounds like what you're describing in the bigger picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Portland ME is great. I love it there. But how is it a move up? Ithaca is also beautiful and a great place to live, but a move up?

They're both smaller, with less going on, than PDX.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,588,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Portland ME is great. I love it there. But how is it a move up? Ithaca is also beautiful and a great place to live, but a move up?

They're both smaller, with less going on, than PDX.
I didn't see that the OP wanted someplace with more going on. Ithaca has quite a lot going on for its size, as well as a great transport system. The question is largely whether it's too small.

If the OP really wants a city that's more or less on par with Portland and has: slightly smaller, less warm, good transport, more affordable, decent economy, liberal but not too liberal, safe, place to make friends, walkable, access to nature - again, I'm not sure that all exists in one ball if you expect a city.

Ithaca is about the closest in my mind, but it's certainly much smaller both as a city and a 'metro.' Start taking a few wants off that list, and sure, the options expand.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,377,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Walk-able, not too hot, and not too expensive...why would anyone say Austin?
Thank you for making me feel stupid. You could have just let that go but, no, you had to criticize.

I forgot about the temperature requirements, but the core of Austin is walkable and it isn't any more expensive than Portland. Most people who are unhappy with the weather in Portland don't like the moderately chilly temps and rain, so I forgot he thought it was too warm there.

Asheville is expensive if you are looking to buy, but the OP has no qualms about roommates and already shared a 1200.00 apartment with two other people.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,024,775 times
Megan - didn't mean to sound so critical. It does appear the OP will need to make some kind of concessions in most scenarios since the walkable cities that are not too hot are all pretty expensive. Roomates will likely be a necessity to keep things affordable in any of the options that meet the desires.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 PM

854 posts, read 1,473,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Austin might be a good one. Asheville is lovely too but I'm not sure either are a "move up". If you want to move up, go San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, or even Seattle.

I live in Boston now and have lived in SF, Madison, Chicago. You can afford to live in them if you can afford Portland. The housing might change some, but I really wouldn't let that hold you back.

One I'd also throw in there: Denver. A move up, but not as intimidating to some as SF, etc.
Hmmm I don't think I'd want to live in Austin. It's way too hot, and plus it's in Texas. I've passed through Denver, it looks OK at all, but honestly it seems sort of boring and bland and I imagine it wouldn't be easy to live there without a car.

I've thought about Asheville before actually. The climate and size are appealing and it seems like they got culture going on there. I think I'm basically choosing between Madison and upstate New York right now though, but if someone could "sell" me a better place I'm still open minded.

About hot/humid summers - I don't mind something slightly warmer than Portland if the place has a cold and snowy winter. Portland's summers are too hot for my liking but I know that most of the US is even worse. Madison's summer would probably be a little bit of a step above Portland since they get a lot of summer rain and cloud.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,377,884 times
I drove out to Asheville a couple of years ago, scouting out possible new homes where the winters weren't so long and cold. It is very liberal, has tons to do and is beautiful. They walk the talk when it comes to small bio foot prints, too. My only problem was it is a little smaller than I'd like and I have to buy a house because I have 3 cats and 2 dogs (who bark). Most landlords wouldn't trust me to keep a place nice - even though I would. Buying a house in Asheville is too much money for my budget.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
If you are considering NY, definitely check out Ithaca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison