Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 AM

15 posts, read 22,179 times

Advertisements

This is my first time staying overseas and I'm freaking with the many uncertainties.

My husband and I will be going over to Madison in Aug 2014 as he embarks on his journey pursuing a degree in UWM. It's kinda crazy but we are making this move on our limited savings.

We have applied for an accommodation at Eagle Heights but have yet to received any updates from the university. As a backup plan, I'm currently sourcing out possible locations for rental.

I've briefly looked through some similar posts in the forum and saw some of the recommended locations such as the area behind Hilldale Mall and Kendall. Seems like these locations are popular and have very few listings on craiglist by now.

I was wondering if Shepard Terrace would be a good location to consider and if there are other locations to consider. We are looking for a place for just the two of us. So a 1 bedroom apartment or sort will be enough. Budget is $800-900 per month.

We are still deciding whether or not to get a car as I'm not used to driving on the left. So staying close to the campus or on the bus route is preferable but we have also read about how noisy some areas near the campus can be due to the ever-ongoing parties by the undergraduates.

As for car, I'm not sure what's suitable. I've never owned a car my whole life. My folks suggested that I should get an SUV but I've read on the forum that it may be a good choice. My budget is limited and I realised that used cars in Madison are not cheap either. I'm thinking of a small car where I'll be using mainly to send my husband to school and do a little shopping. The farthest journey I may possibly attempt is to go to NY for visiting. But again, I've been advised to take the domestic flight for that.

Winter is a term we don't use back where I come from. The only seasons we have are the wet and dry seasons, i.e. rain/thunderstorm and no rain. We have one coat or two and fleece sweaters but we intend to purchase most of the winter protection gears, i.e. boots, gloves, thermals, etc, when we reach Madison. Any suggested places to look at the get these items?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
hi OP, and welcome in advance!

I'll defer to others for housing suggestions, though the Hilldale area could be a nice location as you'd be near grocery shopping (Metcalfe's/Sentry in Hilldale Mall) as well as on the bus lines that not only can take you to the campus area but should be able to (with perhaps 1 transfer point, been awhile since i've ridden the metro) get out to either East Towne or West Towne malls to cover other shopping needs that Hilldale Mall doesn't meet.

Though I always preferred to have a car even when in school, since you would be both new to driving in the states as well as driving overall; I'd suggest to first get settled in and see how the metro bus serves you both.
Once you get a feel for the weather & driving situations (even parking can be tough on campus) you may have a better feel for if you want a car and what sort would work best. And if you are new to driving, i sure wouldn't suggest driving from WI to NY and back, so a flight would be what I'd do if in that situation.

For winter clothing, it's all about layers, and good boots/gloves/headwear (my opinion of course). I believe there are several nice stores in Hilldale Mall as well as a Target on site; and of course clothing and sporting goods stores in or near both East and West Towne malls as well so plenty of options to get what you need.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Your housing budget is pretty low for Madison. Be very careful where you get an apartment as most apartments in that price range are in neighborhoods that range for undesirable to, in my opinion, a little dangerous.

That said, I did a search on this site:

http://http://startrenting.com/

and found these apartments:

Central Madison

They are all in okay neighborhoods. I'm not sure why they are so inexpensive.

You might consider living outside of Madison and using the state workers "ride share" program. You don't have to be a state worker to use the service.

Vanpool Rideshare Program

Oh, and don't sign a lease unless you are positive you are giving up on University Housing. You will be liable for the rent until the landlord re-rents the property and you better believe they are more motivated to rent their actual vacancies than they are to rent a sublet. Also, insist on them sending you pictures of the entire apartment and, if they don't mind, the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Just discussed with my husband after reading ur comments. I guess we'll probably try to scrimp and save so as to place a larger budget for rental, ie $1000-$1200. Woe be me!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
900-1000 should be sufficient. You don't need to go up to 1200.

Keep in mind mine is just one person's opinion. I know that others feel you can get a place in a safe neighborhood for $800. I invite them to find some listings for you as I helped a friend find a new place last summer and it was nearly impossible to stay under $900. The ironic part is that I did find her a place for $850 (heat not included) that seemed fine to me and those same people said that it was a bad area and the apartments were dumps.

The listings provided a link for in my last post are all in good areas and within your original budget.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I'll defer to others for housing suggestions, though the Hilldale area could be a nice location as you'd be near grocery shopping (Metcalfe's/Sentry in Hilldale Mall) as well as on the bus lines that not only can take you to the campus area but should be able to (with perhaps 1 transfer point, been awhile since i've ridden the metro) get out to either East Towne or West Towne malls to cover other shopping needs that Hilldale Mall doesn't meet.
Location and access to services is the big appeal of Hilldale. It's a good balance of proximity to downtown, with large clusters of apts., without being in the midst of undergrads.

Quote:
And if you are new to driving, i sure wouldn't suggest driving from WI to NY and back, so a flight would be what I'd do if in that situation.
The suggestion to ease into deciding whether to buy a car is a good one. As for the NY run, I'm curious where you'd be going. As the crow flies, it's not really that long a trip to the west end of the state, the trouble is that you at least have to go around Lake Michigan - or take the ferry across which isn't cheap. The southern route is more direct, but puts you through the worst of Chicago/Gary traffic, which I can't recommend in your case. It can be harrowing and stressful even for the most experienced.

Even getting to Buffalo is about 10 hours/700 miles, and I'd wager you're actually headed a few hours farther east than that. The northern route is lovely, but it's going to add both time and miles (and you'd want to be prepped for driving the Mackinac).

In short, it can be a nice drive to do now and then, but not something you want to do as a routine. Now, if you were on the Michigan side of the lake, it's a much easier drive, esp. if your passport is in order and you can cross Ontario instead of coming south of Lake Erie. But you're not [living in MI].

Quote:
For winter clothing, it's all about layers, and good boots/gloves/headwear (my opinion of course). I believe there are several nice stores in Hilldale Mall as well as a Target on site; and of course clothing and sporting goods stores in or near both East and West Towne malls as well so plenty of options to get what you need.
Layers, definitely. Plus it helps you adapt more easily as you come inside environments that may be cool or hot. But you do want a coat that cuts the wind so the layers underneath can trap the warmth. And don't underrate the value of a good warm scarf!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Definitely recommend Hilldale area for apartments. Specifically Sheboygan Ave. A lot of graduate and professional students live in this area. Great bus service to campus right along University Ave. Easy access to Hilldale Mall for shopping. I lived in Hilldale Towers about 15 years ago. I rented the apartment sight unseen. It wasn't a fancy place - shared laundry rooms, no work-out center, no underground parking, etc., but the rental rate was great, and it was clean and quiet. If it's just you and your husband, then a 1-bedroom apartment should work fine, and I would guess you should be able to find something under $900 per month in this area.

Stay on a good bus line to campus and worry about the car later. You may not even need a car. The bus can serve you well, and you'll make friends who have cars who can take you for occasional trips around town.

The graduate student environment at UW-Madison is truly awesome. There are a TON of graduate students here in many different fields. You'll quickly develop a great community of friends and colleagues. Welcome to the frozen tundra of WI!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Thank you for your feedback. I'll take note of them.

Megan1967: Thank you for the link you provided. For some reason or another, my husband still prefer the near west of Madison. But the website provided an alternative search to craiglist. Thank you!

bler144: I did not realised how bad the driving condition can possibly be. (Google maps made it look easy) I was considering driving as an alternative in case I did not manage to get cheap flight tickets to fly during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Ragnar: I contacted Park towers and The Lodge, of which both gave negative replies. I'll probably try again for 2015 if I need to move out of Eagle Heights.

So yeah, for the moment, we have just received news that we have been allocated an apartment at Eagles Heights. It's a little out of the way from most of the amenities so we will definitely be considering getting either a car or a bicycle.

Any recommended car dealers and bike shops to go to?

Correct me if I'm wrong, if I were to purchase a car, the taxes are around 10.5%? Is it dependent on the make/weight of the car?

How much does it cost to get the car insurance and also the license plate registration and all? Been trying to find some tax calculator to understand all these better.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardorynx View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, if I were to purchase a car, the taxes are around 10.5%? Is it dependent on the make/weight of the car?

How much does it cost to get the car insurance and also the license plate registration and all? Been trying to find some tax calculator to understand all these better.

For sales tax, I believe it is still 5.5% of the sale price (been 6 years since i last bought a car there, so a 'local' can correct me if i missed any increase lately). The sales tax is only on the price of the vehicle, make doesn't come into play (except for it's value of course), and weight really only if you get a larger truck which I doubt for your first vehicle is the plan.

For licensing (auto and driver), i put the link to the state DMV below, which can show you what is needed for registering a car as well as getting a driver's license.

Wisconsin DMV Official Government Site - New residents

As for car insurance, that really will be tough for us to estimate for you, as it can and does vary widely on what people pay. It is dependent on the driver's history (tickets and accidents), the year/type/value of the vehicle, and the type of coverages one needs, and can even be based on one's credit rating. Normally i'd recommend one get some quotes online from several insurance companies (i'm sure we can all suggest ones to try or ones to avoid), but i have no experience helping one from another country which may have its own special circumstances to navigate thru.

The DMV site may have some direction:
Wisconsin DMV Official Government Site - Auto insurance requirements

Some companies to consider, maybe some searching on their sites may get you add'l info on what would be available to you:
American Family, in Madison (we used them for decades there, we had very good service).
AAA which is an auto club (for roadside assistance, etc) can offer insurance thru Travelers to their members. That's who we've used down here.
Other national companies include Geico, State Farm, All State, Nationwide, with others out there as well.

I was never much of a biker so will defer on bike stores (seems there was a popular one on Williamson St in Madison), but for car dealers we always had good luck at the Zimbrick group for new and used. A place like Carmax sells used only, and tends to be more of a one price shop with little if any negotiating which some may like. The cheapest deals on used tend to be private party, my main suggestion there is any used car considered should be inspected by a trusted mechanic for another opinion before purchase.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
If you decide you really want a car, try buying a used one from another graduate student who is finishing up. You'll probably get the best deal that way. Lots of older reliable Toyotas and Hondas are sold this way. Take advantage of your awesome graduate student community.

You'll be able to take the bus or bike from Eagle Heights, but it's not super close for grocery shopping. But again, you will make lots of friends there, and it's very common for students to carpool to the grocery store for shopping trips. Many of your friends and neighbors will have cars and will be happy to take you along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison