Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times

Advertisements

Not 'difficult' in that it's basically a straight shot, but it will be congested. I've never done that drive at rush, but I'd wager ...30-45 min? And then you'll still need to find parking. I haven't looked, but I'd assume there's a bus that runs up Fish Hatchery Rd. from Fitchburg near campus. At least then you could study (or nap).

I'm curious where you'd be moving from? In my mind the danger moving that time of year isn't Madison per se (where things tend to be nicely plowed, and generally more snowy than icy) but the areas you have to drive through to get there. If you were moving from CA I'd be more concerned with crossing the passes and the plains (black ice) than I would be with the roads once I hit Wisc.

But others are right, if you aren't used to driving in snow, then driving in winter conditions with a trailer raises the degree of difficulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Valley View certainly has the shadiness you say you are used to. That isn't a great area of Fitchburg and as you will learn, anything in your price range, with your requirements, will not be in a desireable complex or neighborhood. This apartment may be a good place to crash for a month or so...until you can find something more to your liking. I am sure once you are here, you can check out other places that aren't listed online. I strongly urge you not to sign a long term lease without checking this complex/área of Fitchburg out IN PERSON, beforehand.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie206 View Post
I'm looking at Valley View apartments in Fitchburg. From what I know, Fitchburg is suppose to be safe. Would it be difficult to commute to UW?
Chelito is correct. Parts of Fitchburg are very nice and very safe. That is not one of the parts that Valley View is located in. Just for perspective, a local vet had an office right across the street from VV apart. He was there for about 3-5 years (I suspect that was the length of his lease). He told my vet that he moved to the corner of Fish Hatchery and McKee Road because he had arrived at the office several times to find bullet holes in his door (the rear of the building). Now I know vets keep drugs that would be attractive to criminals, but that would still be off putting to me.

You don't want to live anywhere north of Caddis Bend in Fitchburg, nor do you want to live west of Verona Road.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
An older place in the Hilldale area is probably your best bet. However, you'll likely have to find it with boots on the ground, as many local landlords do not advertise online. They just plop a sign out front.

With that said, I'd research/contact every apartment complex on Sheboygan Ave. I lived in Hilldale Towers a number of years ago. The place lacked some amenities, but was quiet, safe and the right location/price for my situation. Lots of other grad students and professionals around, and super easy commute to the hospital area.

There are also some smaller, local apartment buildings within great proximity to the Hospital on N. Midvale Blvd., Kendall Ave., Eugenia Ave. and N. Franklin Ave. You could also check out Les Chateaux on Bluff St. Something in one of these areas should work well for you, but you may need the "boots on the ground" approach to find a place that checks all of your boxes.

A scouting trip ahead of time would greatly help your search, even if it's just for a long weekend.

You may also wish to contact current/graduating students in your future department. You may get some good housing tips that way, and even find a place someone is vacating in time for your arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison