Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 AM

11 posts, read 26,817 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys. I'm relocating to Madison in September for a job at UW health. I was wondering if I could get some help with finding an apartment on or near the UW Health bus line. I can do up to $1,000/mo and I don't need more than one bedroom. I do have a car so I would like parking to be included if possible, even though I plan to walk/bus quite a bit. Thanks, and ask any questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
It might be easier for us if you to look for places on the bus route and then post them for opinions.

You have a great budget so should be able to find something very nice.

Here is a link to the routes. I don't know anything about bus routes because I don't take the bus and they are complicated because of all the transfers.

Routes & Schedules - Metro Transit - City of Madison, Wisconsin

Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
My first choice would be Shorewood Hills where you could easily walk year-round. Though I rarely see openings there (and some of it is dedicated grad housing). Second would be Hilldale - or Hilldale area between Univ and MineralPt where you could walk/bike at least when the weather suited and bus/drive when it didn't.

But from your description you probably want to be a bit more in the action nearer-in. Alas, that's not my forte now that I'm old. But I would say you do want to balance being near the action with being in it. For me Hilldale does that. You're not going to walk out your door to the nightlife, but you have services nearby (and work) and it's no big deal to get to campus or the capitol for dining/nightlife.

Though obviously it means you have to think about designated driver/bus/cab for return trips.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 AM

11 posts, read 26,817 times
Ok, I found a place. Thanks Megan1967 and bler144 for your responses. Now, does anyone have tips on meeting people in Madison? I'll know absolutely no one there.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
Meetup.com is a good way to find people with similar interests. Volunteering for a cause you believe in is another good way to meet people.

What hobbies do you have or would be interested in pursuing?

Work is always a good way to meet people, too.

I'll have to think a bit to come up with more.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Madison Curling Club

You know you want to.

Realistically it's a good town for certain outdoors activities (biking/sailing) and less so for others (deep sea diving). Lots of bars/clubs/museums if you're into pool or music or arts. While it leans liberal, there are still a lot of churches that provide shared community and connections. Volunteer at the arboretum. Might be a bar that shows games of your favorite sports team (particularly if your favorite teams are the Badgers/Packers).

I agree with Megan - you should meet people around shared interests, whatever yours may be. If I were in your shoes I would be focusing on music/sailing/curling/arboretum, but that's because those are the things that interest me.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
Check out the apartments on Sheboygan Avenue in the Hilldale area. Great location for your job with good shopping options and bus service. Lots of graduate and professional students around. You should be able to find a minimal frills 1-bedroom apt for < $1,000 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison