Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 PM

223 posts, read 312,992 times

Advertisements

I love living among many trees and getting away into the woods for hiking and camping. I'm contemplating a move to Madison, but want to make sure it's a fairly forested area with a good amount of woods/trees.

Is the Madison area forested, or is it more farmland/prairie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,319,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
I love living among many trees and getting away into the woods for hiking and camping. I'm contemplating a move to Madison, but want to make sure it's a fairly forested area with a good amount of woods/trees.

If you look on Google Maps you will find the more heavily wooded areas to be north and west of Madison closer to the Driftless region or within it. Once you go west to about Cross Plains or north to Baraboo it becomes more wooded overall. Madison area is a mixture of woods, farmland, lakes, and prairie.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:23 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,057,991 times
There is more woods and hills and hiking/camping opportunities to the west and north of Madison. The south and east are a little more farms/prairie.

Madison itself is big enough, where being right in the city, you don't have woods, other than the trees that are planted.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 PM

3,815 posts, read 6,408,128 times
Forest? Not exactly. Trees? More than plenty.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:01 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,382,468 times
It's a city of 230,000 people with a metro area of 250,000 people. We have the Arboretum, but other than that, no forests.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:58 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,978,799 times
OP, after moving back here from 6 yrs in SC, i'd say the closest to the Carolinas (since you are in NC) for comparisons on wooded areas would be the "northwoods" of WI.
As others have mentioned except for the Arboretum here one would likely head a little north/west for more outdoor and hiking options in the woods. Google Devils Lake and Governer Dodge state parks as examples.

On a side track to your comparison poll since we are in the Madison forum, here there are 4 distinct seasons. Summer in Madison can be hot and humid but nowhere near the length it is in the south. Winter in the south is more like fall in WI. Bugs can be bad here into fall but the hard frost keeps them from being a winter nuisance. And while the chain of lakes in Madison offer multiple recreational options they do ice over in winter so boating here truly is seasonal. Swimming will be up to what that summer is like, as runoff is an issue some years the algae can really take over on the water (again check out Devils Lake lol for more swimming options).

Old 12-07-2014, 07:27 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,382,468 times
Sorry, I was off a little on my numbers. 243,000 people in Madison proper.

Then there are the suburbs which share a border or in some cases are surrounded by Madison on all 4 sides.
Monona is 10K,
Fitchburg about 30K
Maple Bluff 1K
Shorewood 13K
Middleton 18K

So around 315K in what for all intents and purposes is "Madison."

Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,830,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Definitely farmland/prairie except for some small patches of parks.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 944,621 times
No. It is not forested, but there are lovely woods for hiking within the city and in the nearby communities. Others have mentioned the Arboretum, which is within the city limits. Other wooded hikes would include:
Governor Nelson in Waunakee, Lake Kegonsa State Park in Stoughton, Cam Rock in Cambridge, Blue Mounds State Park in Blue Mounds, Devil's Lake in Baraboo, New Glarus Woods in New Glarus. Parts of the Ice Age trail are also wooded, and make nice hikes. All are a 45-50 minute or less drive from Madison. Since we are an area that was originally prairies and Oak Savannahs, most of these parks include wooded and prairie trails, which is nice in our climate. The woods are perfect for a summertime hike, and the prairie hikes are nice in the spring and fall when you want to soak up every bit of warmth from the sun that you can. In the winter, they each have their own beauty.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,022,349 times
I'll add this, Madison to me the city part has a ton of trees on busy streets, side streets and a lot of green space and parks. Whenever I go to Madison I am amazed on how many trees there are in the city. To me it's a noticeable difference when I go there and with the trees at nighttime it seems a lot darker because of it. It's not Atlanta forested but it seems like to me even on side streets there are a ton of trees, it seems to be a very noticeable difference than say Milwaukee, although I sometimes think Milwaukee cut down a lot of it's trees on purpose because you have a lot of streets with no trees whatsoever. I would say Madison has more trees in the city part than most cities. So in those terms it's forested but not like Northwoods forested. I hope I explained this clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison