Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

Honestly you could just take a cab for the few spontaneous times you want to get to the mall...with Ubery and Lyft it's easier and cheaper than regular cabs as well. You could get a car but it's probably going to be more money than the benefits you get from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 02:15 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOK29 View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks for the lot for answers. It is very helpful. Yes I planned from the beginning to look for a, or some roommates. Sorry I did not write it before. That would be no problem, because here in Germany I have 2 roommates also. Its also easier to get to know some new people in the beginning. So you all think that I will find a nice room in a nice neighborhood for 500-600 Dollars right?

You all say that I won´t need a car and that seems logical for me. The thing is, like drro said before, that all is spread out in the US. Maybe it is not that bad, like in Kenosha, but when I spontaneous decide I want to go to the mall or anywhere else, I don´t want to wait long or go 45 minutes until one hour by bus. That’s why I think maybe I want to buy a car. Gas wouldn’t be the problem, because gas is in Germany much more expansive. It´s about 6-7 Dollars for a gallon . So can you help me out if I can find a car for 3-5 thousand Dollars that is “in good shape”. And what will be the deficit ,if I sell the car after my stay, and how much does cost a comprehensive collision insurance per month.

Thanks a lot

OP, though many of us are of the opinion that especially for a short period (and as you are visiting from overseas) a car may not be the best idea, some of the questions you have we could only guess on. For insurance, you'd want to speak to different insurance companies to get the actual costs and details for what is required from you to insure a car. Note basic insurance is liability, then stepping up to comprehensive can cover items like theft and acts of god; finally collision is normally added when the car is newer or has a loan on it. For a car in the $3-5k range you may not go full coverage, only your rating will determine that. You could google and contact insurance companies such as American Family (based in Madison), State Farm, AllState, Gieco, Progressive, etc as every person has different histories and concerns when quoting insurance. I can insure a performance based model for the same cost as a more basic model, but someone younger or with tickets not so much.
Yes gas is cheaper in the US, right now it's actually far less then it has been in recent years (around 2.50 a gallon right now here).
Sure busing can be a pain, i didnt care for it decades ago to get from one side to the other, to the mall, etc. BUT i can also add that based on friends i had on campus and when i was down there myself, parking in good weather could be problematic. Mix in winter (if you're here) with snow removal, no street parking allowed during storms, and you really have some issues that make taking a bus not such a bad idea. And if you live on one of the "better" bus routes, you may be able to get to one of the malls as well as class in a direct route without any transfers (check the metro site again for that info).
Finally, i dont know what the drivers licensing requirements are for a visiting student but would suggest checking that out (Wisconsin DMV site) so you everything researched and covered before looking to buy a car.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:12 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOK29 View Post
I going to study next fall semester, one semester at the UW-Madison as an exchange student.
So the most important question is, as you can imagine, where is the best place to live in Madison? I have about 500-600 Dollars for the rent. Is it possible to find something nice with that kind of budget?

I am thinking about to buy one for the 6-7 month i stay in Madison. I am thinking about to invest 3000 - 5000 Dollars in a car for that time.
Hello Jan,
If you're only going to be in Madison for the fall semester (or 6 months), then like all the others said, I wouldn't get a car. It'll be a pain to get a Wisconsin drivers license, insurance, & to complete the car shopping. Use the $3,000-$5,000 on something fun. Fall semester is 4 months, & you said you'll be here for 6-7 months, so I'm not sure if the extra 2-3 months will be before or after the semester. Snow doesn't usually arrive & stay until the end of the semester (mid December), so you can get around to many decent shopping places near campus by using a bike.

Regarding where to live, like you said it's best to live near campus or else live downtown. $500-$600 plus a roommate can get a very nice place in Madison. I lived in a nice efficiency/studio by Hilldale mall for around $550 for my own place. Many graduate students lived in the apartment complex as well as the other places on Sheboygan Avenue. You'd likely have to take the bus to campus though or bike from there though, but I just wanted to give you an idea of a rent price.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 AM

27 posts, read 28,428 times
Hi Jan,
First off - Madison is a terrific city and I imagine you'll love your time there!
I'm in the Chicago area and spend summers in Madison. I'll agree with the other posters and encourage you to not get a car! Put the money you've ear-marked for a car towards upping your rent budget.
Parking can be a total hassle in Madison and I promise you will get a few parking tickets over the span of a few months. Madison is walkable and the bus, taxi, and rentable bikes (all over the city) will get you by.
I usually rent a studio in the Mansion Hill neighborhood and that is about a 10-15 minute walk to campus - if you are going to be on the west side of campus it may take a few more minutes, but there is an awesome trail along the lake that you can walk to get there.
For the times you really need a car, just rent one! Enterprise (on University Ave. on the East side) will bring the car to you and the people who work there are great. So much easier than the entire hassle of getting/insuring/parking a car.
I find the Mansion Hill neighborhood ideal because it is walkable to campus and State Street, a couple of blocks off Capital Square, and a not unreasonable hike to Willy St. Co-op (on Williamson) for groceries a couple of times a week (bring a backpack and a couple of bags).
Also, sublets/roommates can be found on Craigslist website - if you haven't already discovered that.
UW-Parkside is situated in the middle of nowhere - Madison, you will find, is an easily accessible city without having to own a car. Have fun!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:21 PM

623 posts, read 675,265 times
Hi, another person saying that you don't need a car, getting around without one is much easier in Madison than Kenosha. But if you do get one, make sure to add in the parking cost, it can be $150 a month or free depending on the apartment.

If you are here for most of the summer, I would recommend air conditioning, there are usually a few hot and humid days, the average summer has about a dozen days reach 32C. Not all apartments have it, but you can usually purchase a window air conditioner. It's not necessary though, most days are fine without it.

Bicycling is very popular in Madison, much more than Parkside and you can bike nearly anywhere, though the salt, slush, and cold make it unpleasant in winter.
There are always bikes being sold on craigslist and several bike stores on campus. If you don't mind the look and live close to a station there is cheap bike rental for short trips (https://madison.bcycle.com/).

Another place to look for apartments is on facebook, the page is called "NEW UW Madison Sublet and Roommate Board"
It's mostly undergraduate students looking for people to sublet their apartment for the summer, but there are sometimes fall ones too. Leases near the campus start august 15th and run until the 14th of the following year, with a few exceptions that are only 9 months. Once you leave the campus area, leases vary. Depending on when you are staying, you may have to take a sublet in the summer, and/or potentially sign a year lease.

Many graduate students and older students live in Eagle Heights, though they fill up: Division of University Housing at UW-Madison. Living right next to campus is convenient, but expensive without a roommate. Even with a roommate, two-bedroom apartments are usually over $1000, the expensive ones usually have two students per room. Many older students live west of campus. I don't know much about the east side of campus or downtown.

Taking a bus from anywhere on the campus to downtown is easy and fast, but East Towne mall can take as much as an hour and West Towne doesn't have a direct bus route so it can be hard to reach. Hilldale Mall is smaller but easy to get to by bus. There are some large grocery stores (Copps, Whole Foods, Meltcafe's, Target) near the Hilldale mall that students shop at, as well as Trader Joe's on Monroe Street and some others on the east side of campus. The university provides free bus passes that work for all city buses at the start of the fall and spring semesters, you might be able to get one if you come earlier. A moped/scooter is an inexpensive driving option, but no better than a bicycle in the rain or for hauling groceries. The Madison Fresh Market offers free in-home delivery if you spend more than a given amount, though the prices are generally higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison