Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

In the minds of people like Milwaukee City, giving a forced transvaginal ultrasounding to educators and the middle class is good economic policy. If nothing else, it makes them feel good. I would have to question the morality and integrity of someone taking that viewpoint, though.

Here's an excellent article that is well researched and points out Governor Walker's double crossing ways: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/ma...the-union.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
A drop of ONE spot in U.S. news rankings has profound effects in student recruitment
That would be more accurate in a graduate context (especially law) than in an undergraduate context... it wouldn't make that much of a difference at the level UWI undergrad operates.

That said, my professors advised me against applying to UWI back then because of the likelihood of severe cuts at UWI. And that it could cause UWI to be ejected from the top-20 in my field in 5-6 years' time.

Result: UWI's reputation in my field has dropped like a rock back home.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Can someone actually tell me how cutting funding to education, which by every account, from every political compass point I've read, actually results in a positive return to society (the return is greater than the investment), will result in society and the state being better off?

Anyone?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Can someone actually tell me how cutting funding to education, which by every account, from every political compass point I've read, actually results in a positive return to society (the return is greater than the investment), will result in society and the state being better off?

Anyone?
"It puts those intellectual elitists in their place," is basically the only "positive" the Wisconsin Republicans care about.

I heard the old "slush fund" tagline re: the UW's general fund used in a political ad again the other day. You know...something in business termed a "general fund" or a "cash reserve". The hypocrisy from the WI GOP is pretty astounding.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:04 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
This article sums it up. Job market is quite good for top talent professors who will not stay in a state where they are contemptuously devalued. They take with them lucrative research funding that contributes directly to local economy.

http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/c...e064e98f6.html

Old 05-29-2016, 06:55 AM

It's amazing how the Republicans in Madison don't think there will be negative consequences to their continued vandalism of the UW system.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
There are actually Republicans in the city of Madison?

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's amazing how the Republicans in Madison don't think there will be negative consequences to their continued vandalism of the UW system.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
"It puts those intellectual elitists in their place," is basically the only "positive" the Wisconsin Republicans care about.

I heard the old "slush fund" tagline re: the UW's general fund used in a political ad again the other day. You know...something in business termed a "general fund" or a "cash reserve". The hypocrisy from the WI GOP is pretty astounding.
Yes, there are definitely Republican politicians - Glenn Grothman comes to mind - who clearly have an axe to grind with our university system and don't seem to have the capacity to really examine the ideology they are pushing. Personally, I was stunned by the argument that university professors do not work hard, because they only spend x number of hours a week teaching and have too much time open for prep and research.

The suggestion was, of course, that time spent teaching is work and time spent researching or preparing for that teaching is goofing off and getting paid for it. Of course that is far from the truth. It was an argument that could only work on people who do not know what goes on in university academic departments and are slightly distrustful of them.

Just this past week, an article came out about antibiotic resistant bacteria found within the US. A few days later, the UW had put out an article about the work UW researchers have done to find new sources for antibiotics. It was a great response from the UW, and a perfect example to illustrate why university research is so important. I wish they would have connected the dots between the two stories better for the people who are swayed by Grothman and his ilk and might not connect them. You're scared of resistant bacteria? So are we - and here's how our work will make you safer.

Really, when it comes down to it, do you want the next generation taught by teachers who are heads-down teaching all the time and think Cipro is the best we can do, or teachers who are also working to solve complex, current problems and can pass along new information and approaches to students?

Old 06-01-2016, 01:46 PM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Yes, there are definitely Republican politicians - Glenn Grothman comes to mind - who clearly have an axe to grind with our university system and don't seem to have the capacity to really examine the ideology they are pushing. Personally, I was stunned by the argument that university professors do not work hard, because they only spend x number of hours a week teaching and have too much time open for prep and research.

The suggestion was, of course, that time spent teaching is work and time spent researching or preparing for that teaching is goofing off and getting paid for it. Of course that is far from the truth. It was an argument that could only work on people who do not know what goes on in university academic departments and are slightly distrustful of them.

Just this past week, an article came out about antibiotic resistant bacteria found within the US. A few days later, the UW had put out an article about the work UW researchers have done to find new sources for antibiotics. It was a great response from the UW, and a perfect example to illustrate why university research is so important. I wish they would have connected the dots between the two stories better for the people who are swayed by Grothman and his ilk and might not connect them. You're scared of resistant bacteria? So are we - and here's how our work will make you safer.

Really, when it comes down to it, do you want the next generation taught by teachers who are heads-down teaching all the time and think Cipro is the best we can do, or teachers who are also working to solve complex, current problems and can pass along new information and approaches to students?
It somewhat baffles me that the business upside of having the strongest system possible doesn't sway the Governor and legislature to dial back the "gutting". Texas, MN, FL and MI are examples of states reinvesting in higher ed to spur further economic development. Companies like Epic wouldn't be in Madison were it not for the university.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
It somewhat baffles me that the business upside of having the strongest system possible doesn't sway the Governor and legislature to dial back the "gutting". Texas, MN, FL and MI are examples of states reinvesting in higher ed to spur further economic development. Companies like Epic wouldn't be in Madison were it not for the university.
Absolutely! In fact, Epic got its start in Judy Faulkner's graduate research at the university. There's that 'research' word again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison