Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times

Advertisements

as for OP's original q's, i'd say bler144 gave a good basic list.

Except for 09-14 when we lived down in SC, we've been in the Madison area really since the mid 80's. Its a smaller city, so at times can offer fewer amenities than the larger metro areas within driving distance (Mpls, Milw, and Chi); but it's drawbacks can also be fewer than those cities.

Madison does have a lot to offer, from art & musical events to the outdoors to one of the best farmer's markets around. Schools both in the city and in most 'burbs are rated well, housing can be viewed as reasonable to high depending on where one is coming from. The rough spots to avoid seem to be condensed into a few areas that can be easy to stay away from. And frankly, one should use common sense wherever they may take a walk regardless of the town or city they are in.

I cant comment on doing outdoor activities here in winter, as winter was why we left in the first place lol. That said, and only speaking for us, spring thru fall is the best time up here. And one can find plenty to do within an hour's drive of Madison if not by staying in the city proper.

I will avoid turning my posts into any "red vs blue" listing, but can say i've never had trouble here being friends with those i shared common beliefs with as well as those i did not.

Overall we always gave Madison high marks, and to be honest for our little 6 year southern 'vacation' we tried to find a spot that offered us what Madison did, without the snow and cold.
After all, there are reasons all those mags and lists have Madison ranked so high.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
some years worse than others, seems to highly depend on the blue/green algae blooms, direction of the wind if any, and even water levels. Heck i can remember a couple summers we hardly put our boat in Mendota due to a combination of algae warnings plus no-wake zones.
Those were the times we'd head to Lake Wisconsin, etc to get into some water with flowage to keep it a bit cleaner

Oh, I never went out on the water much, and when I fished I mostly went to streams or the Wisconsin River.

I just never noticed the smell living downtown. But I don't have the most sensitive nose.

Only real downside I can think of in Madison is the length of the winter, but I don't find it much different than Massachusetts or Vermont (where I've spent most of my non Wisconsin life).

Culture is great. Economy is great. Prices affordable for rent, food, everything.

Just bought my fall visit ticket on Southwest. Two free bags to bring back beer and cheese

Old 05-05-2015, 12:53 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Just bought my fall visit ticket on Southwest. Two free bags to bring back beer and cheese
dont know how many bags of cheese curds we'd take back to SC with us after each visit here (drove back 4 times a year during that 6 yr period), though often they'd not make it past the IN border lol. Now i can run anywhere and get them, a positive for being back north.

Guess i should have added cheese and brats to the "pros" listing for Madison!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
My reply will be short as my laptop battery is dying.

My wife and I have lived in Middleton now for 3.5 years this month. Our rent goes up EVERY year. We are now paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom apt in Middleton. I appreciate that Epic generating a strong local economy, however I feel as though much of the rent inflation recently can be attributed to Epic and it's mass amounts of new hires from other states. Most of my neighbors are here for Epic or grad school. One would think that the building of more housing and apartments would create more product and reduce demand allowing for more competitive rental rates, that is certainly not true here in Madison. The company I work for has an office in Waukesha as well and my wife and I are strongly considering moving closer that way since our money goes ALOT further in communities like Pewaukee, Hartland, Waukesha etc.

I agree about the racial disparities and the cities lack of concentration to bringing minorities together to create unity. I work part time in a field that has been judged a lot recently due to the Tony Robinson incident and the Baltimore incident. I sense some tension when responding to certain areas in Madison, again I only work part time but I cover east side of Madison and then some, including downtown depending on time of year.

This city has a lot of growing pains and it can't quite keep up, whether it's the rental costs or racial tensions.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Oh man, I'd love a place where $1200 one bedrooms could be had easily!!!

(And rents going up every year is really the norm, since costs go up every year)

Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
My reply will be short as my laptop battery is dying.

My wife and I have lived in Middleton now for 3.5 years this month. Our rent goes up EVERY year. We are now paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom apt in Middleton. I appreciate that Epic generating a strong local economy, however I feel as though much of the rent inflation recently can be attributed to Epic and it's mass amounts of new hires from other states. Most of my neighbors are here for Epic or grad school. One would think that the building of more housing and apartments would create more product and reduce demand allowing for more competitive rental rates, that is certainly not true here in Madison. The company I work for has an office in Waukesha as well and my wife and I are strongly considering moving closer that way since our money goes ALOT further in communities like Pewaukee, Hartland, Waukesha etc.

I agree about the racial disparities and the cities lack of concentration to bringing minorities together to create unity. I work part time in a field that has been judged a lot recently due to the Tony Robinson incident and the Baltimore incident. I sense some tension when responding to certain areas in Madison, again I only work part time but I cover east side of Madison and then some, including downtown depending on time of year.

This city has a lot of growing pains and it can't quite keep up, whether it's the rental costs or racial tensions.
The far east side of Madison is not even remotely that much for a 1 bedroom apt in a nice area. However, it is quite a bit further removed from Epic in Verona- so I'm sure that factors in a bit. With that being said, I have enjoyed my time in Madison, but am moving soon to take a new position elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 20,158 times
I think in general Madison area is expensive compared to Midwest. I am renting a two bedroom in Sun Prairie near YMCA and paying 1450 rent so it is not east or west it is Madison in general. Of course if you stay at downtown you are gonna pay much more than that..

Old 05-06-2015, 10:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
It tends to rather vibrant overall.....lots to do especially if you like outdoor sports. Schools are good overall. People tend to be friendly enough though many tend to only really socialize with family/extended family. Good micro brewery scene. Close enough to Chicago for weekends.

The bad... WI over all is a very racist state. Even though we are white.....it's really horrible and uncomfortable how people have no qualms about using racial slurs and quoting outdated stereo types as fact. Younger folks are better....but until the old guard dies off....there it is. We have a lunatic as a governor that is trying to dismantle education.

There are worse places to live.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareinfo View Post
I think in general Madison area is expensive compared to Midwest. I am renting a two bedroom in Sun Prairie near YMCA and paying 1450 rent so it is not east or west it is Madison in general. Of course if you stay at downtown you are gonna pay much more than that..

It probably is expensive compared to the Midwest, but the Midwest is damn cheap, and Madison is FAR better than 95% of the Midwest.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 20,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The bad... WI over all is a very racist state. Even though we are white.....it's really horrible and uncomfortable how people have no qualms about using racial slurs and quoting outdated stereo types as fact. Younger folks are better....but until the old guard dies off....there it is. We have a lunatic as a governor that is trying to dismantle education.

There are worse places to live.
I am not sure if I will call Madison a racist place (I can't comment on other parts of WI), I am in Asian and have lived in MA, AZ, TX, CA and here in Madison I would definitely rank Madison a very liberal and non-racist city above TX and AZ and right around MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison