Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 79,530 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at purchasing a home on the west side of Madison, over by Junction Rd/Mineral Point Rd. It is currently on personal well water. My realtor said the well has been disconnected for a year and will probably need to be converted to city water. I am just trying to find a very ballpark price estimate for this. I realize it can vary, but a broad idea would help. It is also a duplex, so would need (ideally) separate meters. City charges involved, plumber/contractor costs, etc. All I could find so far researching is that the home immediately next door to it is not on Madison city service either.. I think. The homes immediately behind it are all on well #26, if that helps anyone. The fact that the property next door doesn't show up makes me worried that there is no main out front of the house, which I read is WAY more expensive to do.

Next it is HUD owned, so the "condition report" you get is very very vague. But it does say "failed water pressure test". Which from what I have read around could be anything from a leaky pipe, to simple clogs, to well issues, to a full on re do of homes piping :/ I'm assuming if I connect to city water, this would hopefully be taken care of at same time. Anybody had experience with this type of "disclosure"? :/

Also.. If I don't get too scared away of people's responses, I would love a good plumber recommendation. Ideally familiar with the area, and previous work with the city setting up new service.

THANKS!
-hopeful home owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
I can't help you on the technical questions about well vs. city water, unfortunately, but I know Pertzborn Plumbing is an excellent plumber.

I think in your position, I'd start by contacting the water utility to ask your questions about the location of the nearest water main, and how much the city charges to connect a home to the main. The city water utility has web presence here: https://www.cityofmadison.com/water/ and you may be able to glean some data there, too.

Then, based on the info from the city, I'd contact a reputable plumber to get a quote on whatever it is the city confirms is needed to bring service from the main to the house. You might contact a couple, for that matter; it's a big enough job that you'd be perfectly justified in getting two or three different quotes.

One other alternative that I can think of is to contact a good home inspection service. Your realtor may be able to suggest a reputable one. When we had our home inspected prior to closing, the inspector not only told us what needed to be done but also gave us rough estimates for how much the work would cost. I realize you may not have made an offer yet, and that may prevent a home inspector from gaining access to the property, but they might be able to give you a general idea of what kind of costs to expect.

If you do make an offer on the place, I would recommend that you be very, very specific about listing the contingent items that you would consider deal-breakers, particularly in view of the very vague HUD condition report.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
A couple thoughts.
First off, I would think the realtor if they have any familiarity with the area would have been able to direct you more on this or at least give some general feedback. While you would have a home inspection done before closing which should catch major issues, my first call before getting that far would be to the city of Madison water utility dept (or perhaps Middleton if that is their area of coverage ) to see where the water main lies. They could also give more data on potential costs and needs for hookups. If the main is not nearby I do not know if that is even an option. It is possible the homes there are only serviced by wells (joint or community well perhaps); does it also have a sewer system or is that municiple?
It is good that you are asking questions on this, seems there may be some additional research needed to get the answers you need though.

Seems MBW beat me to the punch lol, I couldn't add links on my nook so follow those listed to get a start on it.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
does it also have a sewer system or is that municiple?
It is good that you are asking questions on this, seems there may be some additional research needed to get the answers you need though.

The property looks like it has to stay on its own septic, city sewer is not available for that property. Which I have mixed feelings about the horror stories of septic.

Also, thank you both for the recommendations! My realtor got a hold of the city, and I contacted Pertzborn Plumbing, thanks MBW. Here is what I have gathered so far for rough estimates..
Cost to city of Madison for connection to main: $3900
Formally abandon the existing well to code: $1600 average depending on depth
Run "lateral" from main to house based on my guestimate of 60 ft setback, including seperate meters: $4200
So.. looking at just under $10k for the whole deal. Which, is definitely an expense, but is it weird to say I am relieved from some of the stories I read of this costing upwards of $20k +

I also asked the plumber about the "failed pressure test", if that is something to worry about. He said it was more than likely to do with the disconnected well issue, and connecting to city would resolve that. I'm just still hoping it's not burst pipes or something throughout the house.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
I'm glad you got numbers that feel manageable to you. If the purchase price of the house is rock-bottom, as I'd expect from a HUD house, spending an extra $10K to get city water really isn't all that bad.

Have you actually viewed the property yet, or is this still in the very theoretical stages? If you have actually viewed it, hopefully you took the time to do some poking around and investigating beyond just looking at the floor plan, including looking at pipes, in cabinets and closets, in the basement rafters, and so on.

I also want to strongly reiterate the suggestion, if you make the offer on the house, to be very careful and very clear about your contingencies. You need to leave yourself a way to bow out if the inspection reveals unacceptable issues - and you should be searching NOW for a really top-notch inspector, one who is familiar with HUD properties if possible, to go through it with a fine-toothed comb.

Another suggestion that I'd offer would be that you may wish to spend some time exploring in the Real Estate forum of the General Interests section of City-Data, right here: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/. There are a whole lot of incredibly knowledgeable Realtors and property inspectors who post regularly in that forum, all of whom would be far more informative than I could possibly be, and you're likely to get excellent advice there.

Good luck to you, and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
Just food for thuoght. What if the failed pressure test IS due to a problema with the pipes, what would that cost? I would Budget 50% than the rough estimate they gave you to play it safe. Something just doesn't sound right...that area is very commercialized, and every day it becomes more so. Lots of road work projects and widening going on, new developments...Are you sure the house isn't in an area the city will condem from eminent domain for future expansion of infrastructure? Do you mind living in such a busy and increasingly congested area? Just other things to consider.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM

Thanks again MBW. I'm glad you suggested that other forum. I'm onto my next step of trying to find a lender that specializes or at least is very knowledgeable in 203k loans and HUD properties. I've been in the home hunt for almost a year now, and I've put quite a bit of research in loan options, first time home buyer programs, Madison grants/initiatives, etc. And it seems a lot of the time I go into meetings with lenders knowing more about the programs I am interested in then them. I will definitely check that out.

I appreciate your suggestion for the strong contingencies too. I actually feel really confident in my realtor (after weeding through a number as well). She's made a number of points to make sure I have my outs. Also, I've learned that HUD homes work a little different than most. This listing is open to owner-occupants until the 6th. So they have a "bidding website" that you put in kind of an informal offer/bid. If it is accepted I then have 48 hours to produce my actual formal written offer and pre-approval documents. So, at this point I have my "bid" in. We'll see if it moves to the next step, but at least I have some time to look into a few more things. I think they are waiting to review all offers on the 6th. I have walked through twice now, but before if/when I get to submitting the formal written offer, I do plan on walking though with a contractor. I'm lucky to know a few good ones in the field already.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Just food for thuoght. What if the failed pressure test IS due to a problema with the pipes, what would that cost? I would Budget 50% than the rough estimate they gave you to play it safe. Something just doesn't sound right...that area is very commercialized, and every day it becomes more so. Lots of road work projects and widening going on, new developments...Are you sure the house isn't in an area the city will condem from eminent domain for future expansion of infrastructure? Do you mind living in such a busy and increasingly congested area? Just other things to consider.
The pressure test is definitely a concern of mine, but I do plan on looking into it a lot further. Actually walking though with a plumber and/or contractor.

This property is actually up the road a little by University Ridge and Hawk's landing. So it is around all the newer developed single family homes. Thank you for pointing the condemning possibility out though. That's something I didn't necessarily think about, but I think that neighborhood in particular I won't have to worry. The area is not my ideal permanent location, but I have been hunting for an investment opportunity to start out my long term portfolio. I really believe this is a property I will have for a long time just renting out both units at some years down the road, until I can move on to my ideal permanent home.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
well as with any home purchase and especially with one that you know you are looking at up front expense like this one has, the small fees for a good home inspection & a septic inspection would also be a must in my opinion and well worth the costs (I used to perc test up there back in the 90's, for awhile mound systems were 'common' as replacements in that western area due to soil limitations, lot sizing, etc so make sure that is looked at as well) and as stated make sure ALL bases are considered so you are protected. You may have found a little diamond in the rough, just want to ensure you dont chase a money pit.
just my .02

good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,974 times
If that property is not actually in those two upscale developments, there is no reason to believe that the building you are looking at is of the same quality. Also, neglect can really run a property down fast.

I saw in your last post that you said you were going to walk through with a plumber or contractor, which is good, but I would strongly encourage you to take MWBW advice and get an actual home inspector, too. Speaking as someone who bought from a poor builder and didn't get a home inspector (it was built for me and I assumed new construction would be inspected by the city), you would be amazed at the number of expensive issues that come up that the city inspector either didn't catch or take the time to note. I've had to invest another 40K into this house.

Your Real Estate agent is mostly likely terrific because you've done a good job vetting him or her, but keep in mind they make their money when a home is purchased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison