Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,880 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a recent college grad paying steep private school loans. I've spent about a dozen or so hours checking out apartments online. But, I'm still stumped as to which apartment complex would fit my needs. I'd be very thankful if anyone could provide some apartment recommendations that fill my criteria.

- First, I'm on a budget. Everything, including heat (usually free), water, electric, cable, internet, etc, should cost around $800-850/month.

- Second, my current job is on the west side. So, ideally, I'd like to live either West, South, Fitchburg or Middleton (in no particular order).

- Third, I'd appreciate a safe neighborhood. I've heard the horror stories about Park St. I'm avoiding downtown like the plague.

- Fourth, a one-bedroom apartment would fit my needs better than a studio - because my parents are downsizing after I move out, so I'll be taking furniture with me.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,740 times
Might look at smaller 4 plexes and duplexes. No big pools to pay for and they often will keep rent flat if they like you and you pay on time. Should be doable.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Any recommendations? I haven't found any that are as descriptive as most apartment ads nor located near the west side - most are downtown/east.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
You are going to have to look out of town with that budget. Check out Oregon (a city to the south of Madison). Stoughton might also be an option.

The west side is considered "premium" real estate and I just don't think you are going to find anything in your budget there.

Be REALLY careful about Fitchburg as there are less expensive apartments to be found there, but they are not desirable nor even safe in some cases. There is a vet who moved from a Fish Hatchery Road location to one on County PD because he had bullets lodged in his back door one too many times for his comfort.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
I'm afraid I have to agree with Megan1967. A budget like that isn't going to get you very much in or near to the city of Madison, other than in the parts of town you want to avoid.

In addition to Oregon and Stoughton, you might want to look at Cross Plains, west of Middleton. I've seen apartment buildings there, and it would at least be on the same side of the city as your job. I'd suggest Marshall, as my daughter had an inexpensive apartment in a fairly decent complex there for a couple of years, but Marshall is considerably east of Madison, and the commute to the west side would be horrendous and expensive.

Good luck to you; this is a challenging region for someone on a tight budget.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
You could probably find a roommate who has a two bed apartment and would charge you within your budget and you would have everything you want...check the room shares section on craigslist. It is probably your best bet if you aren't willing to live on the South Side or Fitchburg or in the outter suburbs.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I should rephase my question: If an apartment costs $600/month, with heat and water, how much more could I be charged for the rest?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM

114 posts, read 325,907 times
In general, look at Sheboygan Ave just west of Hilldale. I lived in Hilldale Towers for six+ years from the late 90s to the early 00s. It looks like current rates start under $750 / mo and that includes heat / hot water, and now satellite TV & high-speed internet (which wasn't the case when I was there). It's got a pool.

There is a really nice park (Rennebohm) for your backyard, and Hilldale (with the new Target) is two blocks away. Great bus service, and convenient to pretty much anywhere west of the Capitol. The neighborhood seemed to be a good mix of young singles or couples, college students, and seniors.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Let me "second" the suggestion of Sheboygan Avenue as a place to investigate; very convenient for the bus, groceries and shopping ( with the Hilldale Mall right next door, and the area is full of transplants looking to make friends; otherwise, you could consider the possibility of a roommate..

Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

160 posts, read 349,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Be REALLY careful about Fitchburg as there are less expensive apartments to be found there, but they are not desirable nor even safe in some cases. There is a vet who moved from a Fish Hatchery Road location to one on County PD because he had bullets lodged in his back door one too many times for his comfort.
It's pleasant to read honesty about madison.
Anyone wanting to move to an area should drive around that area first, during the days and during the nights.
section 8/government housing are crime factories/magnets. If one is unfortunate enough to rent there or by there, they at least can move when their lease is up. If one blew it by purchasing a house by it, well, that's just too bad. "Do due diligence" better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison