Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 680 times

Advertisements

I live next to a small neighborhood park with a basketball court and someone frequently shows up before 7am to shoot some hoops. I only know this because it wakes me up every time. I'm not the only house near it as the park is partially surrounded by about 10 houses within earshot of the court.

Does anyone know of any noise ordinances or similar that could reasonably be used to ask the person to stop?

I'm guessing there isn't much that can be done but it is kind of annoying that middle-aged people wouldn't be considerate enough to hold off until at least 7am, maybe even 8am.

Related to that, I could just walk out there and talk to the guy but I'm guessing if he didn't already consider the noise, he's unlikely to start at my request.

I suppose the police could be called as a last effort but I doubt they would do anything assuming I even wanted to waste their time, which I don't.

Regarding the police, basketballs, noise - minor rant...

One other night, at 2am, a group of young adults were playing a heated game of hoops in the dark. No way in hell I'm going out there alone to confront a group of possibly intoxicated strangers so I called the police. However, when the police showed up, I had the window open and heard the officer clearly announce "Hey, I'm really sorry to do this to you guys but..."

Um, what? You're really sorry? Um, the park closed at 10pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 AM

253 posts, read 393,905 times
There are two things you could do:

First call the Parks Division: Contact - Madison Parks - City of Madison, Wisconsin and make them aware of the situation. Let them know that there are people/teens who are violating the parks open and closure time.

Second, call the police department in your area and make them aware that you have noticed (x) amount of times per week, a group of teens/people violate the open and closure times and it has become a nuisance. Request they patrol the area a couple of times to attempt to enforce the closure/curfew.

Address the situation in a polite way, and hopefully you will see results. I think calling on people while they are there only heightens negativity in the situation.

If the police came the first time, they understand and are doing their jobs to the best of their ability. It's summer, so playing ball at the court is a positive, and far outweighs anything negative they could be doing; even if it is after curfew.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChypeFlux View Post
I live next to a small neighborhood park with a basketball court and someone frequently shows up before 7am to shoot some hoops. I only know this because it wakes me up every time. I'm not the only house near it as the park is partially surrounded by about 10 houses within earshot of the court.

Does anyone know of any noise ordinances or similar that could reasonably be used to ask the person to stop?

I'm guessing there isn't much that can be done but it is kind of annoying that middle-aged people wouldn't be considerate enough to hold off until at least 7am, maybe even 8am.

Related to that, I could just walk out there and talk to the guy but I'm guessing if he didn't already consider the noise, he's unlikely to start at my request.

I suppose the police could be called as a last effort but I doubt they would do anything assuming I even wanted to waste their time, which I don't.

Regarding the police, basketballs, noise - minor rant...

One other night, at 2am, a group of young adults were playing a heated game of hoops in the dark. No way in hell I'm going out there alone to confront a group of possibly intoxicated strangers so I called the police. However, when the police showed up, I had the window open and heard the officer clearly announce "Hey, I'm really sorry to do this to you guys but..."

Um, what? You're really sorry? Um, the park closed at 10pm.
What do you want the cops to do...open fire on them?

If guys playing basketball late is the worst problem you have... then why do you want it escalated? I agree...it was too late for them to me making noise...but the cop was being sensible and you got your quiet.

Was the park there when you bought the home or was it installed later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison