U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 AM

30 posts, read 96,073 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just started a job, and moved to Beloit from the Detroit area. I am not a huge fan of the area and was wondering about how long it would take to commute down 90 to Beloit from Madison.
I am looking to rent for now, I am only 22 and Madison has way more to offer a 22 year old young professional, than Beloit.
Just seeing if anyone knew any good places around Madison, hopefully towards the south or east side to cut commuting times a little.
If I can work it out and do move, I may be able to work at home one day a week. I know this is a long drive but I am seriously considering it. Any info is appreciated. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,100,741 times
Yes... It would be an extremely long and tedious drive. About an hour in good driving conditions, more with traffic or snow. Which you need to think about. You may miss a lot of work due to weather. Madison is wonderful, but I wouldn't do it. That said, Barrington Place, which is off American Parkway is a nice apartment community. Fiduciary Real Estate Development

Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM

I understand this, I honestly cannot stand it. I don't even work with younger people to atleast have something around here. I may think of going the other way towards Rockford but I don't know how much better that would really be.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM

2,984 posts, read 9,602,238 times
I did a training in Beloit for a month, where I had to commute everyday (5 times a week). Honestly it wasn't that bad. The interstate was smooth driving with minimal traffic in both directions, and this was coming from the far west side of Madison. I did it in about an hour.

Most people around here don't do long commutes like that, so it seems absurd to most people. If Madison is THAT much of a draw I would say go for it and look for a nice aparments near East Town Mall (wheer 151 and I-95 meet on Madison's far east side).

Rockford really isn't that bad either, most of it is decent except for some specific areas. Plus if you live there, it would be cheaper, a shorter commute and you have Chicago closer for weekend trips.

I think the 2 hour commute each day would leave you very tired and by the time you get home at night you wouldn´t be looking to go out during the week. So, you may as well have a shorter commute to Rockford where you will still ahve all the big city ammenities, plus the one hour ride to Chicago on weekends (or Madison) if you like.

Those are just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM

4,722 posts, read 14,816,798 times
Can you look closer to Madison for a job? I agree, its a much better place for someone so young.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,104 posts, read 36,009,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackatack00 View Post
I understand this, I honestly cannot stand it. I don't even work with younger people to atleast have something around here. I may think of going the other way towards Rockford but I don't know how much better that would really be.
About 10 years ago, there was a Money Magazine issue that labeled Madison the best place to live in America. In that same issue, Rockford was ranked as the worst place. My family used to go to Rockford sometimes to shop and catch cheap flights out of RFD, so I always thought Rockford got a bum rap while I lived in Madison.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 PM

11 posts, read 39,246 times
Thumbs up definitely commute!

i commuted for 13 years and it was fine, except those icy/snowy days on the interstate are terrifying! you are 22 and beloit is NOT a happening place for young adults, so get out while you can! ok, where to live--you want to be on the downtown near east side of madison [more progressive and more working class]or the near west side [more students and young professionals and hip families]. east you drive the interstate; west you take 14 down through evansville so you can avoid the beltline traffic, which is horrendous! either way, it'll take about an hour.
i would choose a neighborhood you like...it isn't worth it to live on the outskirts of town where you would have to drive into madison. near east side [isthmus] and near west side of town have music venues, restaurants, parks, bike trails and are close to downtown culture. you don't want to live smack downtown because the parking and traffic are bad. personally, i prefer the east side, but i like being within walking distance of the lakes.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Thanks all for the input. My work is actually relocating down the road to the corner of 90 and 43 so driving from Madison would be 10-15 shorter now as well. I am still in Beloit ( don't want to deal with landlords and getting out of lease early), but am looking towards Rockford more but would really like Madison. Quite a few people here actually make the drive and carpool when they can. I moved here from the Detroit area and the traffic there is pretty bad and it would take an hour to go 1/3 the distance anyway. Thanks for all the help, and anyone under 40 avoid Beloit, especially if you are alone. If you need to be close and have a family I suggest Roscoe/Rockton and more towards some of the newer developments in Rockford towards the east side

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 AM

38,704 posts, read 96,903,432 times
Dude, don't move to Rockford. Seriously. It's like the worst parts of Beloit made twice as bad, then scaled up in size by a factor of four.

Rockford may be 4 times bigger than Beloit, but it is barely less snoozy, especially for the under-40 set. If I had a choice between Beloit and Rockford, I'd pick Beloit without a moment's pause. If I'm going to be bored to death with where I live, I might as well be bored in a cleaner, safer town. Plus, at least that way I'd still be close to Madison for weekend playtime.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,160 times
looking for certified nurse aid jobs in beloit are there any to look forward to leaving milwaukee want to live elsewhere to raise my family is it good there or not let me know thank you very much .... also looking into a highschool and elementry school work and schooling for children need to be close to home looking for 3 bedroom home ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>