Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,580 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am thinking about moving to Madison with my 12 year old daughter next year but are trying to decide which schools are the best for her. If we sell our house soon we will attend Madison Schools starting in 8th grade so I need to know the pros and cons of different middle schools and high schools. We are looking for schools with great academics and lots of opportunities(academic ones and clubs). We are also looking for schools with great kids and teachers. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM

1,261 posts, read 947,039 times
Are you looking just in the city of Madison? Within the city, West and Memorial have the best reputation academically. East is not rated as highly, but I've heard great things about it's administration and teaching staff and they do have an AP program. East is one of the most diverse high schools in the area.

If you are looking outside of the city, I really don't think you can do wrong with any of the suburban schools.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,580 times
Default +Middleton

Do you think Middleton High is a good school? I've heard good things about it. What are your thoughts about the schedule? (They start every other day at 8 something and every other day at 9 something)

Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,038,138 times
Your question is very broad based and will be difficult for anyone to answer without more information. Wisconsin education system is excellent for the most part and will offer a variety of academic and social opportunities in almost any school you choose.

What types of activities is your daughter in currently? I saw a post about dance, is this important as a school activity? Is your daughter in the arts, sports, or more of an academic type? Do you have particular cultural considerations or goals that you want emphasized?

What is the employment outlook for you, or other factors that may impact your location? Madison is not a huge metro area but travel/commuting there is sometimes more difficult than you may think due to the geography. Those beautiful lakes make traveling across the city a PITA. If you are going to be working somewhere in particular, plan the school choice with that in mind.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 947,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgilover123 View Post
Do you think Middleton High is a good school? I've heard good things about it. What are your thoughts about the schedule? (They start every other day at 8 something and every other day at 9 something)
Middleton has a great reputation. I have no personal experience with their schedule, so can't comment.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,410,268 times
We're zoned for Memorial. Although our children currently attend Olson Elementary, they will need to go through Toki on their way through Memorial. We don't have any direct experience, but based on location and start time we're not that excited for Toki.

We live on the far west side of town and Toki isn't anywhere close to where we live. The bus picks up well before 7 AM near our house. Our kids will need to get up earlier than both my wife and I in order to make it, and if they miss the bus, it's totally out of the way for either of us to drop them off at Toki. We may petition for them to go to Jefferson near Memorial. Or even Spring Harbor or Hamilton would be better locations.

Also, compared to the newer Olson Elementary building with lots of space and natural light, the Toki building looks and feels like an old 1950's bomb shelter.

Not sure what to think of GreatSchools ratings, but 9 of the 12 Middle schools in the Madison school district are rated 5 or below, with only one rated a 9 (Hamilton, which feeds into West High). Toki is rated a 3. Logistics aside, we may even consider private school just for middle school.

Hopefully other folks can better comment on the teachers, programs and resources that Toki has available.

Last edited by Ragnar; 04-17-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison