Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_sassy View Post
Thank you all for your input... geez it is hard to leave Madison... I just wish I could drag Madison south with me just a bit!

Just 10 degrees would make such a difference!
It's almost spring!! Besides, this winter w/all the snow was a fluke, it's not usually as bad as this. You just have to make it what it is, get outside & try to enjoy it more. Actually, I really didn't think this winter was very cold at all, although I'm in Milwaukee & we've got the nice lake effect going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Asheville, NC has some Madison qualities and much milder weather with four seasons and some skiing nearby. But jobs can be tough to find. We ended up in Central Virginia about an hour south of Charlottesville which is a nice college town too. But it is the south and they have some southern ways you have to accept.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 AM

86 posts, read 243,237 times
Well, we have decided to stay!

You know, I think when live in Madison, WI it is hard to find anywhere in America quite like it. I have heard several times this year that this winter was "different" then most. I KNOW it was different then the year prior so we are going to stay. Many of you who replied with the words about the heat in the south also reminded me of what I hated about living in the south. Thank you.

We live in Mount Horeb, WI right now and are planning to move closer to the city.... we are looking at Middleton and Waunakee. Great schools and a little less wind... whew, Mount Horeb is windy!

Ah... it will be in the 60's next week!

Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,478 times
Enjoy Madison, I wish I was there! but something similar in the south would be Ashville NC or Athens GA (great college town up there with Madison, Boulder, and Ann Arbor)

Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 PM

24 posts, read 171,702 times
It's funny, it's the extreme heat in Texas that's making me move to Madison

Not all people adjust to the heat. There's a lot of long term Texans that will not go out in the heat.
I've lived 97% of my life in Texas. I've been in N Texas ( suburbs of the Dallas-Ft Worth Metro) for my teens & majority of adult life ( that's nealy 3 decades, minus 2 yrs in Oregon & Oklahoma).

As a kid I remember that that extreme heat was 3 days of double digits, now it's most of summer. When it's only 94 f outside, the heat index is higher, making it feel 100. :P Now I'm getting migranes and breathing problems from being overheated. The heat is TOO much for me.

Hehe MidwesternBookWorm's correct on adding layers to get warm. There is only so many layers you can take off. Actually I love the way she said it = "I can always put on another layer here, but in Texas, you can take off enough clothes to get yourself arrested and you'll still be too hot."

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,871 times
Default major adaptation procedues...

Quote:
Ok, I am just about out of here. My heart aches because I love Madison so much. As I write this I am also locating other areas nationwide that will match up to Madison but with a little milder temps. The weather this winter has done me in. Our 12 year old loves to ski at Tyrol Basin but our 5 year old will not leave the house. It isn't the snow he hates, it is the wind and frigid temps. What makes it worse is that we work from home and never get out of the house on some days.

Just thought I would find out how do you all deal with this weather? I feel so unhealthy right now not getting outside enough.... the wind in Mt. Horeb never ends!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 AM

Hi,
don't bother cos its all gonna be over b4 u know it.
i can imagine what its like to stay home all day, when
u would have been having real fun uotdoors.
Anyways, i think its high time u leart skiing hahahha!
Just kidding...
Dress warmly and maybe write often for public views.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Default better days ahead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbor tabi View Post
Hi,
don't bother cos its all gonna be over b4 u know it.
i can imagine what its like to stay home all day, when
u would have been having real fun uotdoors.
Anyways, i think its high time u leart skiing hahahha!
Just kidding...
Dress warmly and maybe write often for public views.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default You made the right choice..

Quote:
Well, we have decided to stay!

You know, I think when live in Madison, WI it is hard to find anywhere in America quite like it. I have heard several times this year that this winter was "different" then most. I KNOW it was different then the year prior so we are going to stay. Many of you who replied with the words about the heat in the south also reminded me of what I hated about living in the south. Thank you.

We live in Mount Horeb, WI right now and are planning to move closer to the city.... we are looking at Middleton and Waunakee. Great schools and a little less wind... whew, Mount Horeb is windy!

Ah... it will be in the 60's next week!

Thanks again.
...without a doubt. The extreme cold in Madison is really for a relatively short time, while summer weather in Texas (>90 degrees) will last several months, with your air conditioner running non-stop through it. I should mention that I have a very low tolerance for high temperatures, but I have reasons, being from VT originally. Of course, I also get tired of soaked dress shirts during July and August, too!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I'm dying, I feel like a hermit b/c I won't go out in this weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison